Applying this cycle?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
AintNoTimeForThat

Applying this cycle?

Postby AintNoTimeForThat » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:15 am

Hello all,

Longtime lurker, but this is my first post. I wanted to ask some advice about applying this cycle or next. I have a 3.5X GPA from HYP and a 169 LSAT score. I took the LSAT more than once with a large score jump. I majored in the humanities. I am AA. I've been out of college for 2-3 years now. I have some experience working as a legal assistant at a large law firm and as an organizer during the last presidential campaign. I also have some international internship experience related to my interests in human rights/ public policy.

I was thinking about applying this cycle, but I haven't determined whether it's a good idea. I'd love to attend HLS or SLS, but as I understand it, that's a crapshoot with my numbers and URM status. I'd love to take the LSAT again and get in the 170s to make H or S more likely, but I obviously wouldn't have time to attempt that if I applied this year. I guess I could apply with what I've got and take the February LSAT to cover my bases, but I'm wondering whether that'll put me at a serious disadvantage. I have a couple of good friends who applied last cycle and didn't get their acceptances until April, so I can't imagine getting a score back in March would be that detrimental... I also know that there is supposed to be a huge drop in LSAT takers/ applicants, so it might be good to take advantage of that by applying this year.

What do you guys think?! Would appreciate any advice/ suggestions.

atcushman

Re: Applying this cycle?

Postby atcushman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:21 am

if you can afford to send in the app go for it...your best bet is to try and get a 174+ before next cycle and apply early. Not that its the end all be all but law school predictor says you dont have a chance with your current numbers.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:24 am

Here's you breaking 172: http://myLSN.info/abdrze

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:03 am

You have a solid shot at HS and very good chances at the rest of the T-14 (except Yale); you have even better odds if you're male. Every year there are relatively few high LSAT scores by AA males so a 169 is several standard deviations above the mean, as detailed in a number of posts here (try searching, I'll find it later when I have time). With your URM status, HYP undergrad, and the drastic decline of applicants, especially those with high LSAT scores, applying this year would not be unwise.

jcan91

Postby jcan91 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:13 am

Suralin wrote:You have a solid shot at HS and very good chances at the rest of the T-14 (except Yale); you have even better odds if you're male. Every year there are relatively few high LSAT scores by AA males so a 169 is several standard deviations above the mean, as detailed in a number of posts here (try searching, I'll find it later when I have time). With your URM status, HYP undergrad, and the drastic decline of applicants, especially those with high LSAT scores, applying this year would not be unwise.

This. If you can, get those apps out before the New Year (although if you apply to Yale it doesn't matter when you apply). Getting at least one of HYS (Y the least likely of course) is not impossible and if you have apply to any other T14s you'll probably be looking at a good number of acceptances.

Good luck and enjoy what I'm sure will be a great cycle! :)

AintNoTimeForThat

Postby AintNoTimeForThat » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:34 am

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Do you think it's worth it to apply in January and then take the February LSAT? I'd really like to do everything I can to get a spot at HLS or SLS or get a lot of money from a T6 school. I know a higher LSAT would help a lot with that based on the chart that TripTrip posted. I just wouldn't want to do all that work (and take the risk of getting a similar score) if getting a good result wouldn't even help me this admissions cycle.

jcan91

Postby jcan91 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:30 pm

AintNoTimeForThat wrote:Thanks for the advice, everyone! Do you think it's worth it to apply in January and then take the February LSAT? I'd really like to do everything I can to get a spot at HLS or SLS or get a lot of money from a T6 school. I know a higher LSAT would help a lot with that based on the chart that TripTrip posted. I just wouldn't want to do all that work (and take the risk of getting a similar score) if getting a good result wouldn't even help me this admissions cycle.

It would definitely be a lot of trouble for you to go through but (disclaimer: I'm a lowly 0L so I'm just working off logic here) it may be worth it if you find yourself waitlisted at any of these schools. Still, I don't think there would be much use for it beyond that so you have to decide whether that's worth the extra two months of studying. Also though, you should probably check to see whether any of those schools actually care about the Feb LSAT at all, just in case they don't.

As for application time. I still think asap is the best answer.

Return to “Law School FAQ”