Microsoft Surface- passable as a law school laptop?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
aanzola

Microsoft Surface- passable as a law school laptop?

Postby aanzola » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:23 pm

I have a 16" Toshiba laptop but recently picked up the Surface. The type cover and Word makes it a very kick ass companion for law school, but not sure whether professors would take it as a laptop for exams and such. Any clues?

rinkrat19

Re: Microsoft Surface- passable as a law school laptop?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:26 pm

Some schools have minimum hardware and software requirements to run ExamSoft (or other exam software). A tablet may not qualify.

Plus I don't think I'd want to be banging out thousands of words for an exam on a tablet keyboard (even the Surface) or a 10" screen.

aanzola

Postby aanzola » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:06 am

I've been doing some pretty heavy typing with it. Got the type cover, not the crappy touch cover, so typing is a breeze. As for the 10" screen, I do suppose that could become an issue after awhile, but doubt it.

And yep, the software requirements are what I'm primarily concerned about. I'll try and dig up the requirements from my target schools.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:56 pm

I would second guess that decision.

The Surface Pro isn't out yet...so that means you have the RT. It has office, but you can only install apps from the Microsoft store. I doubt there is an Microsoft app that gives you Examsoft functionality.

The Surface Pro is a full x86 computer and you can install any program on it that can be installed on Windows 7.

My thoughts, as a 0L, would be you can take notes and stuff on it if professors let you use an electronic device in class...then keep your laptop to take exams on.

Also the type cover is excellent. Early reviews state that there is a lot of accuracy with the thin keyboard.

The Surface Pro is a laptop / hybrid replacement with full functionality...the Surface RT is a tablet that runs apps.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/microsoft-surface-rt-vs-microsoft-surface-pro/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2012903/touch-cover-vs-type-cover-empirical-test-data-doesn-t-lie.html

Anciano

Postby Anciano » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:45 pm

I am 99% sure that the Surface RT won't be able to run your school's exam software, at least not yet. That said, if you're more comfortable with it you might as well use it for work all semester and bring out that Toshiba behemoth for exams.

EDIT: Or what the guy above me said.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:49 pm

You can use it to take notes, and shit. But bring your 16 inch for exams.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Hey man, youll probably like it for notes but for exams, a real laptop is better

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You can use it to take notes, and shit. But bring your 16 inch for exams.

sex comment

Return to “Law School FAQ”