Preparation for Law School: Helpful Texts & Activities?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JXander

Preparation for Law School: Helpful Texts & Activities?

Postby JXander » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:57 pm

I graduated two weeks ago and have some good acceptances lined up (and some hefty scholarships to go with them). If I do not start Baylor in the Spring, I may have quite a bit of time before I begin law school (if I attend UT or SMU next fall). I plan on working both with my valet company and as a intern in the District Attorney's office.

I have started reading some very helpful guides on law school (Thane Messinger's "Getting In, Getting Good, Getting the Gold" is pretty spectacular) but am curious if anyone knows of any other resources. For example, has anyone delved into "Planet Law School" and found it significantly interesting or of any assistance?

On a more broad note, has anyone found themselves in a similar situation before they attended law school? Aside from work, what else did you all do to occupy your time and keep you busy? My Moot Court coach/Pre-Law advisor has been telling me to enjoy my "break" as much as I can before the "horrors" of law school begin and one has no time to even think outside of the legal-academic world, but it is very difficult for me to even consider maintaining even a minor amount of idleness.

I appreciate any help prospective, current law, and graduate students have to offer me. Thanks!

gaud

Re: Preparation for Law School: Helpful Texts & Activities?

Postby gaud » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Pick up Getting To Maybe and LEEWS. Profit.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Just hang out, read Getting to Maybe, maybe Delaney's books on exams and legal reasoning if you feel like it. Might do the LEEWS audio. Other than that, don't worry about it. Anything you do over the summer you'll forget by finals anyway. How do I know? I read every book under the sun about law school, and nothing stuck. And don't bother with PLS. It's the same shit you'll find here, so if you want to be terrified, just go read the recession megapost. It's the same thing as PLS, and it doesn't have an absurd 0L study plan.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:26 pm

gobuffs10 wrote:Just hang out, read Getting to Maybe, maybe Delaney's books on exams and legal reasoning if you feel like it. Might do the LEEWS audio. Other than that, don't worry about it. Anything you do over the summer you'll forget by finals anyway. How do I know? I read every book under the sun about law school, and nothing stuck. And don't bother with PLS. It's the same shit you'll find here, so if you want to be terrified, just go read the recession megapost. It's the same thing as PLS, and it doesn't have an absurd 0L study plan.

+1 I didn't really do anything substantive before law school, and it doesn't seem to have negatively affected me yet. I don't have any grades yet, but in terms of exam preparation and such, I don't seem to be at any disadvantage compared to those who have extensively done all the standard 0L stuff like GTM and LEEWS (I still have no idea what the latter even is). I suppose it couldn't hurt, though. Just enjoy your summer, save some money and hang out with friends/family.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:40 pm

have as much fun as you possibly can without being required to report it for character and fitness.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:41 pm

fl0w wrote:have as much fun as you possibly can without being required to report it for character and fitness.

+1

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:43 pm

Yeah. Also, make sure your ass is moved in and all kinks in the apartment/house are worked out. It's a real unpleasant surprise to discover that your water heater exploded while you were at your first day of classes. Get all of the paperwork in, make sure everything is up to date, and generally sort your life out before classes start.

Edit: Oh, and if your class has a get-together event before law school, go to it. You'll meet a lot of people in a relaxed environment, and make friendships that you might not make otherwise. It's good times.

Return to “Law School FAQ”