Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ksllaw
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

Postby ksllaw » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:35 am

I've been apprised of the existence of something that's called a "law school boot camp."

I believe I remember hearing that there were multiple types/brands and that they charge several thousand dollars. I'm curious whether anyone has enrolled in one before and what their experiences were like?

+Did you find them helpful for preparing you for law school?
+What types of things are offered in a boot camp type course?
+Would you recommend a particular company?
+Are there any drawbacks to these boot camps?

One possible drawback I remember reading was that the camps may teach you an approach to law that is not what professors may want and you end up having to relearn the material all over again (the way your professor wants you to know it). In this case, the boot camp might potentially hinder your understanding of the law and cause confusion.

What opinions do people have on the subject?

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:43 am

Sounds like a scam. The law school material isn't hard to learn. Learning how your professor wants you to analyze fact patterns is what law school exams are all about. Some guy teaching you the law, but not how your professor wants it won't be of any help.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

Postby Lasers » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:55 am

Tom Joad wrote:Sounds like a scam. The law school material isn't hard to learn. Learning how your professor wants you to analyze fact patterns is what law school exams are all about. Some guy teaching you the law, but not how your professor wants it won't be of any help.

very much this.

bdm261
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

Postby bdm261 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:18 am

ksllaw wrote:I've been apprised of the existence of something that's called a "law school boot camp."

I believe I remember hearing that there were multiple types/brands and that they charge several thousand dollars. I'm curious whether anyone has enrolled in one before and what their experiences were like?

+Did you find them helpful for preparing you for law school?
+What types of things are offered in a boot camp type course?
+Would you recommend a particular company?
+Are there any drawbacks to these boot camps?

One possible drawback I remember reading was that the camps may teach you an approach to law that is not what professors may want and you end up having to relearn the material all over again (the way your professor wants you to know it). In this case, the boot camp might potentially hinder your understanding of the law and cause confusion.

What opinions do people have on the subject?


I've been considering this too. Something called "law preview." I have heard mixed reviews, I think multiple companies offer some form of prep class and some are better than others.

I read a lot on here about something called LEEWS (law essay exam writing system) that's basically a DIY prep course and it seems to be highly recommended.

User avatar
nmcdgt
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:58 am

Re: Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

Postby nmcdgt » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:23 am

Waste of money. Enjoy the time you have before you start law school. Doing well on an exam is a combination of knowing what your professor wants (what material is important and what type of answer he or she likes), having a good grasp on the material (which everyone will after a semester of studying it), and learning how to write a good exam (which there are other ways to learn and probably won't come from the "boot camp" at all).

Having some random tutor teach you concepts from first year classes that may or may not be covered by your professor will give you a shallow background on material you're going to spend plenty of time relearning at best, and confuse you and make you focus on unimportant information at worst. If you want to learn to write exams, take practice tests during the semester and, if you really want, do LEEWS or read Getting to Maybe. Trying to learn the actual substance ahead of time (i.e. reading supplements, law preview, etc.) is just unnecessary IMO.

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Nothing will prepare you for law school. If you want a "boot camp," just read something like One L or 1L of a Ride just to an idea what school is like. I can't imagine anything an in person thing will do to help you. You'll get what you need to know in the first month.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:38 pm

If you go to a top 75 school, you don't need that shit. Just read GTM and sit by the pool

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:45 pm

I went to Law Preview for free. I don't regret going, although I'm not sure it helped a ton. By about day 3 I had given up taking any kind of notes and was just sort of listening while web-surfing. 8 hours a day of lecture was rough.

I did learn how to brief a case, which was nice for the first two weeks of class when everyone else was freaking out about how to do that. Of course, by about week 5 no one's briefing anymore anyway. So it was more just a head start.

It was interesting how good professors can make their subjects WAY more interesting...that's not really a thing in engineering classes. The prof was Yale was awesome and made me totally bummed I had no shot of going there.

So basically, if you can go for free or cheap or you literally wouldn't miss the $1500, go ahead. Otherwise, meh.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

Postby dingbat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:51 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I went to Law Preview for free. I don't regret going, although I'm not sure it helped a ton. By about day 3 I had given up taking any kind of notes and was just sort of listening while web-surfing. 8 hours a day of lecture was rough.

I did learn how to brief a case, which was nice for the first two weeks of class when everyone else was freaking out about how to do that. Of course, by about week 5 no one's briefing anymore anyway. So it was more just a head start.

It was interesting how good professors can make their subjects WAY more interesting...that's not really a thing in engineering classes. The prof was Yale was awesome and made me totally bummed I had no shot of going there.

So basically, if you can go for free or cheap or you literally wouldn't miss the $1500, go ahead. Otherwise, meh.

This. My school offered a mini-bootcamp to a select group of students. It was 8 * 3 hours.
Learning how to brief a case gave me a bit of a leg up on my fellow students for the first week or two. Everything else was a complete waste of time.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

Postby typ3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:04 pm

If you want a boot camp on law school, go hang out at your city's skid row or eat some glass. Anything to leave you in pain and jaded.

ProfVRandall
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Re: Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

Postby ProfVRandall » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:52 pm

Ben Lerer Thank you for putting the question out there. We too think that summer bridge programs that focus on the law instead of skills and habits are not that useful. I taught law school for 30 years and developed and conduct academic support programs long before the ABA required them. Students who do not perform as well as they want are just as intelligence but generally have study skills, writing skills, reading skills and reasoning skills issues.

We also believe that it takes more than 4 or 5 days to develop the necessary skills which is why our program is 120 hours of study over 8 weeks.

Many entering students think law school is like undergraduate or graduate school, it is not. In most academic programs, students are offered a number of opportunities for formative assessment before they are given a grade; However, in most first year law school courses students are graded at most twice in a semester (in many only once). By the time a student learns that they are under-prepared for their exams, it is too late to make a difference.

Further, in most academic experiences evaluations tend to reflect the work students did in preparing for classes over the course of the semester. Imagine, however, a music class where students studied music theory by listening to and discussing the work of masters. For the whole semester students listened to music and discussed the music they listened to. Then, at the end of the semester, students are asked to play the piano. To make matters worse grades, are assigned on a curve, comparing each student’s performance to the performance of others; so that students with prior knowledge of the piano, or a natural ability, will do better without regard to relative effort in preparation.

This is like law school, and it is no wonder that many students enter their exams unprepared and then under-perform. Please take a look at our program, it is far from being a scam and is unlike any other summer bridge program available.

mod edit: link removed

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13507
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:12 pm

I would pay to not sit through 8 hours of law-school related lectures.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22835
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Attending a Law School "Boot Camp" - Opinions?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:14 pm

Don't necro old threads, folks.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests