Scholarship vs. Grade Curve

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
PickMe!
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:24 pm

Scholarship vs. Grade Curve

Postby PickMe! » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Hey y'all! Does the ABA require law schools to disclose scholarship retention rates among first year law students? If so, where can I find the numbers? I'm starting to think a few of my prospective law schools are blowing hot-air up my ass. :evil:
Last edited by PickMe! on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Scholarship vs. Grade Curve

Postby cinephile » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:19 pm

If you know the GPA required for retaining your scholarship, that should give you a pretty good indication. I wouldn't take anything more strict than good standing.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Scholarship vs. Grade Curve

Postby dingbat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:21 pm

PickMe! wrote:Hey y'all! Does the ABA require law schools to disclose scholarship retention rates among first year law students? If so, where can I find the numbers? I'm starting to think a few of my prospective law schools are blowing hot-air up my ass. :evil:

Be very wary of retention stipulations.
Some schools section stack, meaning everyone with a scholarship is competing with each other and non-retention is guaranteed

User avatar
PickMe!
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: Scholarship vs. Grade Curve

Postby PickMe! » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:33 pm

dingbat wrote:Be very wary of retention stipulations.
Some schools section stack, meaning everyone with a scholarship is competing with each other and non-retention is guaranteed



Yeah, I asked about that. I keep getting vague answers. When I asked the exact percentage of students who lose their scholarship after the first year, I'm being met with "Our students, on average, do very well. Blah blah blah."

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: Scholarship vs. Grade Curve

Postby jkpolk » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:36 pm

PickMe! wrote:
dingbat wrote:Be very wary of retention stipulations.
Some schools section stack, meaning everyone with a scholarship is competing with each other and non-retention is guaranteed



Yeah, I asked about that. I keep getting vague answers. When I asked the exact percentage of students who lose their scholarship after the first year, I'm being met with "Our students, on average, do very well. Blah blah blah."


I think you know what that means. Any school that shady doesn't deserve your time.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Scholarship vs. Grade Curve

Postby dingbat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:06 pm

PickMe! wrote:
dingbat wrote:Be very wary of retention stipulations.
Some schools section stack, meaning everyone with a scholarship is competing with each other and non-retention is guaranteed



Yeah, I asked about that. I keep getting vague answers. When I asked the exact percentage of students who lose their scholarship after the first year, I'm being met with "Our students, on average, do very well. Blah blah blah."

To contrast: my scholly has no stipulations (other than that I don't flunk out)

SPerez
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 am

Re: Scholarship vs. Grade Curve

Postby SPerez » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:12 am

SPerez wrote:
lnh819 wrote:Is there any way to easily find out what percentage of students retain their scholarship at a particular school? It doesn't seem to be published on too many school websites - or else I'm just completing missing it because they bury the information. I'm mainly curious about Texas schools (Tech in particular) but any data would be helpful!


Did I hear my name? haha...

Actually, the ABA instituted a new accreditation standard (ABA Standard 509) pertaining to "Consumer Information". This includes several things, including a requirement that schools "publicly disclose on its website, in the form designated by the (ABA) Council (on Accreditation), its conditional scholarship retention data. A law school shall also distribute this data to all applicants being offered conditional scholarships at the time the scholarship offer is extended." The form has spaces for the last three years.

So this means anyone who receives a scholarship with a condition other than simply remaining in good standing (not flunking out, committing honor code violation) should also receive retention information. If a school only gives good standing scholarships, then they don't have to report anything (e.g. how many scholarship recipients flunked out).

Also, keep in mind that the "form designated by the Council" does NOT require a school specify what exactly the criteria were, e.g. top half, top third, top 10%, etc. (In Texas Tech's case, three years ago-before I got here-there were multiple criteria; some scholarships were top 1/3 others top 1/3.)

It also doesn't require a school disclose how many total scholarships were awarded, which would tell a student what percentage of a school's awards have a GPA requirement. I added that information to our disclosure to provide that context.

Dean Perez
Asst. Dean for Admissions, Texas Tech Law

User avatar
PickMe!
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: Scholarship vs. Grade Curve

Postby PickMe! » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:51 am

SPerez wrote:
Did I hear my name? haha...

Actually, the ABA instituted a new accreditation standard (ABA Standard 509) pertaining to "Consumer Information". This includes several things, including a requirement that schools "publicly disclose on its website, in the form designated by the (ABA) Council (on Accreditation), its conditional scholarship retention data. A law school shall also distribute this data to all applicants being offered conditional scholarships at the time the scholarship offer is extended." The form has spaces for the last three years.

So this means anyone who receives a scholarship with a condition other than simply remaining in good standing (not flunking out, committing honor code violation) should also receive retention information. If a school only gives good standing scholarships, then they don't have to report anything (e.g. how many scholarship recipients flunked out).

Also, keep in mind that the "form designated by the Council" does NOT require a school specify what exactly the criteria were, e.g. top half, top third, top 10%, etc. (In Texas Tech's case, three years ago-before I got here-there were multiple criteria; some scholarships were top 1/3 others top 1/3.)

It also doesn't require a school disclose how many total scholarships were awarded, which would tell a student what percentage of a school's awards have a GPA requirement. I added that information to our disclosure to provide that context.

Dean Perez
Asst. Dean for Admissions, Texas Tech Law


Thanks!

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Scholarship vs. Grade Curve

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:41 am

This might be able to give you some insight on schools with GPA cutoffs (it has medians listed), although its incomplete. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=189178

On another note, I think you should be less concerned with retention rates and more concerned with the class rank that is correlated with the GPA cut off.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Late Game, Nobiggie and 10 guests