Do I need to correspond with schools I decide not to attend? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bdm261

Bronze

Do I need to correspond with schools I decide not to attend?

Post by bdm261 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Do I need inform certain schools that I'm accepted into but not attending that I have decided to go elsewhere? How soon do they expect notification, as I assume they would be giving the spot to someone else?

Is an e-mail ok, or do they expect a written letter? And is it ok to write something short and simple like "Dear Law School, Thank you for admitting me but I've decided not to attend, Sincerely Me."

francesfarmer

Silver

Re: Do I need to correspond with schools I decide not to attend?

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:11 pm

bdm261 wrote:Do I need inform certain schools that I'm accepted into but not attending that I have decided to go elsewhere? How soon do they expect notification, as I assume they would be giving the spot to someone else?

Is an e-mail ok, or do they expect a written letter? And is it ok to write something short and simple like "Dear Law School, Thank you for admitting me but I've decided not to attend, Sincerely Me."
Tell them ASAP, because they will be giving your spot to someone on the waitlist, and being on the waitlist sucks. And I believe an email is enough.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:17 pm

Just shoot them an email stating that after careful consideration you have decided not to attend school X.
Do you need to? No. Is it the right thing to do? Yes. It takes all of 2 minutes to make life easier for the adcoms trying to estimate class size and the other candidate who gets your spot.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:19 pm

You can notify them by e-mail or phone; although not necessary, law schools may contact you after the deposit deadline to remind you to deposit & to inquire as to why you haven't done so.

bdm261

Bronze

Post by bdm261 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:37 am

Ok I am gonna e-mail 2 of the schools that admitted me that I am 100% sure I won't be attending. Just wanna make sure I have the procedure down right. An e-mail will do then?

One of the schools that admitted me (not the one I'm withdrawing my app from) mailed me a packet with the seat deposit form with instructions telling you to write "DENIED" on the front and mail it back to confirm you're not attending...so is an e-mail sufficient or not?

Also, was gonna include my full name, LSAC, and a few sentences saying "thanks for the admit, after long careful decision decided to withdraw my app." How much do they need to know?

Not trying to make this any more complicated just want to do it right.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:41 am

dingbat wrote:Just shoot them an email stating that after careful consideration you have decided not to attend school X.
Do you need to? No. Is it the right thing to do? Yes. It takes all of 2 minutes to make life easier for the adcoms trying to estimate class size and the other candidate who gets your spot.
This

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”