Group Projects in LS?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
North

Group Projects in LS?

Postby North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Do Boomer profs still force group projects on you in law school? Wondering because assburgers. Can't stand doing them.

ph14

Re: Group Projects in LS?

Postby ph14 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:33 pm

North wrote:Do Boomer profs still force group projects on you in law school? Wondering because assburgers. Can't stand doing them.

Some do. It's pretty uncommon though.

North

Postby North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:34 pm

ph14 wrote:
North wrote:Do Boomer profs still force group projects on you in law school? Wondering because assburgers. Can't stand doing them.

Okay, that's not so bad. Even in 1L?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:37 pm

This first term of 1L, we did one 5-minute oral argument with a partner (particular to my section's Crim prof), and worked on a CLR memo outline with a partner (I think all the sections did something along these lines).

I too hate group projects (possibly for different reasons), but these were pretty painless.

North

Postby North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Yeah, working with one other person doesn't sound bad. I just remember the four or five person groups in UG where, in every case, 50% of the group couldn't have cared less and the work fell on the rest of us. LS grades are too important for that mess, so I was worried.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:47 pm

North wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Okay, that's not so bad. Even in 1L?

It's not unheard of. It's not something to spend time worrying about.

North

Postby North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:52 pm

ph14 wrote:It's not unheard of. It's not something to spend time worrying about.

More wondering than worried. Lady North is in grad school and mentioned that she has to do several group projects. I was surprised that it's still a thing.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:53 pm

North wrote:
ph14 wrote:It's not unheard of. It's not something to spend time worrying about.

More wondering than worried. Lady North is in grad school and mentioned that she has to do several group projects. I was surprised that it's still a thing.

Yup. Don't know what the professors are thinking in assigning group projects at the grad school level, especially for 1L.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:22 pm

It's not like you'll ever have to work with another lawyer, ever.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:It's not like you'll ever have to work with another lawyer, ever.

That's a bad analogy. 1L is supposed to be the only time that everything is a level playing field, with all classes curved and sections randomly distributed, and mandatory classes. Getting graded partly as a result of another's work is pretty unfair.

North

Postby North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:It's not like you'll ever have to work with another lawyer, ever.

Oh no, I'm fine with doing real work with other people. I've got dat WE. This is almost entirely why I was concerned:

ph14 wrote:1L is supposed to be the only time that everything is a level playing field, with all classes curved and sections randomly distributed, and mandatory classes. Getting graded partly as a result of another's work is pretty unfair.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:47 pm

North wrote:

Oh no, I'm fine with doing real work with other people. I've got dat WE. This is almost entirely why I was concerned:

ph14 wrote:1L is supposed to be the only time that everything is a level playing field, with all classes curved and sections randomly distributed, and mandatory classes. Getting graded partly as a result of another's work is pretty unfair.

But the thing is there is nothing you can do about it, since you are assigned classes as a 1L at most schools (and even those with electives you get to pick maybe one or two). So it's out of your control.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:09 pm

ph14 wrote:

That's a bad analogy. 1L is supposed to be the only time that everything is a level playing field, with all classes curved and sections randomly distributed, and mandatory classes. Getting graded partly as a result of another's work is pretty unfair.

That's why if you want a good grade you take steps to ensure the overall quality of the work product. One of the few times I could see this counting against you is if you had multiple people who were required to present and they simply could not do a good job with that. If it's a written work product, just make sure you're the last person to edit it.

This will probably happen later in LS. And your grades may end up mattering beyond 1L, so this "problem" is not constrained to 1L. In fact, it gets worse because others will begin to slack off more after 1L.

pifhib2

Postby pifhib2 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:56 am

1st semester 2L. So far, I've had to prepare a really short group outline, give 4 group presentations (ranging from 20 minutes to 2 hours), write a paper with a partner and I have another group project coming up.

Some of my classmates also have to write a 40 page paper with a partner and had to give a different group presentation.

Return to “Law School FAQ”