* Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bdm261

Bronze

Post by bdm261 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Last edited by bdm261 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Gold

Re: How are law grads with 4+ years between UG and LS judged?

Post by twenty » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:43 pm

This doesn't matter.

Also, no.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:45 pm

It will not matter. You can always solve this by saying "graduated Dec 2012" if you were able to but like I said, it will not matter.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm

bdm261 wrote:I'm graduating this month from undergrad and I start law school next year, which means I'll have a J.D. in 2016. During my pre-application research I browsed about a hundred law firm websites and studied each attorney profile to look for any pattern of success. A lot of their education summaries read like "State University, B.A./B.S. 2000; XXXX Law School, J.D. 2003." So they all typically do the 3 year route after finishing undergrad.

This might be nothing to worry about but I'm a little concerned that mine will read "B.A. 2012; J.D. 2016." See I'm going full-time but since I have a gap of 9 months between undergrad and law school starting, that results in a 4-year instead of 3-year difference, will employers think I went part-time? I understand there's some kind of a stigma towards part-time? Is this true?

If it's actually a big deal, should I postpone graduating til Spring and add more classes to double-major or get a certificate in something just so it reads B.A. 2013, J.D. 2016?
Why would it matter? Your class rank is all that will matter to your employers.

westie25

Bronze

Post by westie25 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:00 pm

This is not something to worry about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:05 pm

You are fucked bro. If you add more next semester, they'll ding you for taking 5 years for UG. If you don't they will ding you for doing law school part time! Just fucked bro.

cynthiad

Bronze

Post by cynthiad » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Are you serious? Starting LS nine months after you graduate from UG is nine months between UG and LS, not four years. Plenty of people actually take four years, as in starting LS four years after they graduate, and have no problem getting a job. As long as you don't have a gap on your resume, you'll be fine. If you get a decent job for those nine months, it could even help you slightly when getting a law job. Seriously, people take time off between UG and LS all the time. Employers will assume this is what you did, not think you did part time just because you didn't head to LS immediately after college.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:55 pm

The title is misleading. I thought you worked for four years before law school.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:43 am

Desert Fox wrote:You are fucked bro. If you add more next semester, they'll ding you for taking 5 years for UG. If you don't they will ding you for doing law school part time! Just fucked bro.
+1

OP is going nowhere fast. Who does he think he is, having 4 years between UG and LS graduations? Someone with work experience who didn't go to law school straight out of UG? Oh, the humanity!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:41 am

TripTrip wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You are fucked bro. If you add more next semester, they'll ding you for taking 5 years for UG. If you don't they will ding you for doing law school part time! Just fucked bro.
+1

OP is going nowhere fast. Who does he think he is, having 4 years between UG and LS graduations? Someone with work experience who didn't go to law school straight out of UG? Oh, the humanity!
I had to read his post a few times to be sure, but yes - OP is actually worried that it will look bad if he's NOT a k-JD. :lol:

I'll have 23 years between my UG and LS graduations. I guess I'm just going to be taken behind the barn and shot, amid gales of uproarious laughter.

buddingjd

New

Post by buddingjd » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:46 am

wow this post is dumb

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:17 am

ScottRiqui wrote:I'll have 23 years between my UG and LS graduations. I guess I'm just going to be taken behind the barn and shot, amid gales of uproarious laughter.
:shock: Even if you graduate top of your class at Yale, the best you'll be able to do with those numbers is answer the phones at 1-800-GOT-IN-A-CAR-ACCIDENT.

I'm sorry bro.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:22 am

TripTrip wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:I'll have 23 years between my UG and LS graduations. I guess I'm just going to be taken behind the barn and shot, amid gales of uproarious laughter.
:shock: Even if you graduate top of your class at Yale, the best you'll be able to do with those numbers is answer the phones at 1-800-GOT-IN-A-CAR-ACCIDENT.

I'm sorry bro.
I would DREAM of answering their phones! As it is, I'm just hoping for the mascot gig they're advertising.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:59 am

TripTrip wrote:
+1

I figure OP is going nowhere fast for being an idiot and not knowing the difference between "4+ years between UG and LS" and "4" years between UG and LS graduations". Seriously, if you send something to a client with that kind of mistake, your profile won't remain on the law firm website

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:05 pm

atcushman

Bronze

Re: *

Post by atcushman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:35 pm

future employers may question the gap but if you purchase all your books now and start outlining you will be top of class for sure and they will be much more forgiving

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:39 am

atcushman wrote:future employers may question the gap but if you purchase all your books now and start outlining you will be top of class for sure and they will be much more forgiving

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Are you kidding?

Look at Yale's posted class profile.

19% of the class is straight from undergrad--and that's not uncommon.

Research what percentage of student bodies straight-from-undergrad students are at top schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”