4 Years in Biglaw = $100k Net Worth?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Borg

Re: 4 Years in Biglaw = $100k Net Worth?

Postby Borg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:20 pm

Bed Stuy doesn't even have any place in this conversation. You can easily live for 1k in many neighborhoods in Manhattan (financial district, Columbia area, and the northernmost section of the island by the Cloisters come to mind) or just as easily in Williamsburg, Park Slope, or Brooklyn Heights. If you find any of these neighborhoods scary, you're a pussy.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:22 pm

Borg wrote:Bed Stuy doesn't even have any place in this conversation. You can easily live for 1k in many neighborhoods in Manhattan (financial district, Columbia area, and the northernmost section of the island by the Cloisters come to mind) or just as easily in Williamsburg, Park Slope, or Brooklyn Heights. If you find any of these neighborhoods scary, you're a pussy.

Park Slope scares me

ajax

Postby ajax » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Borg wrote:Bed Stuy doesn't even have any place in this conversation. You can easily live for 1k in many neighborhoods in Manhattan (financial district, Columbia area, and the northernmost section of the island by the Cloisters come to mind) or just as easily in Williamsburg, Park Slope, or Brooklyn Heights. If you find any of these neighborhoods scary, you're a pussy.

This thread is becoming pointless. Yes, there are horrendous apartments in every city that you can get for a sweet deal. Yes, it is theoretically possible that by doing this you could get to 100k net worth. Is it likely that someone is going to live in these places on a biglaw salary, no. They may save money on a place for 2k/mo. Maybe even 1500. But they are likely not going to be spending 1k/mo while making 160k/year. That's just abnormal. But yeah, it's possible.

Also, as an aside, it's important to note that if you plan on staying in biglaw for some time, and building business, it is important to keep up at least decent appearances. People you meet in biglaw as a first year could end up in house somewhere by the time you make partner. This is now potential business. The personal bond you have with this person will likely be stronger if the person actually came to your holiday party, as opposed to declined on account of you living in Bed Stuy.

Borg

Postby Borg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:53 pm

ajax wrote:

This thread is becoming pointless. Yes, there are horrendous apartments in every city that you can get for a sweet deal. Yes, it is theoretically possible that by doing this you could get to 100k net worth. Is it likely that someone is going to live in these places on a biglaw salary, no. They may save money on a place for 2k/mo. Maybe even 1500. But they are likely not going to be spending 1k/mo while making 160k/year. That's just abnormal. But yeah, it's possible.

Also, as an aside, it's important to note that if you plan on staying in biglaw for some time, and building business, it is important to keep up at least decent appearances. People you meet in biglaw as a first year could end up in house somewhere by the time you make partner. This is now potential business. The personal bond you have with this person will likely be stronger if the person actually came to your holiday party, as opposed to declined on account of you living in Bed Stuy.

I feel like you're trolling now or have very limited experience with any part of New York outside of a couple neighborhoods in Manhattan. I've also taken the liberty of putting something totally asinine that you should never, ever say in real life in bold for you.

ajax

Postby ajax » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:26 am

Borg wrote:
ajax wrote:

I feel like you're trolling now or have very limited experience with any part of New York outside of a couple neighborhoods in Manhattan. I've also taken the liberty of putting something totally asinine that you should never, ever say in real life in bold for you.

I do not have any experience in NYC area ghettos. If this means my experience is limited, then it is limited.

Borg

Postby Borg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:10 pm

ajax wrote:
Borg wrote:
ajax wrote:

I do not have any experience in NYC area ghettos. If this means my experience is limited, then it is limited.

Cool man. Enjoy TGI Friday's and your Maroon 5 listening sessions.

Return to “Law School FAQ”