(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
shibby

Postby shibby » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:03 pm

Last edited by shibby on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickb285

Re: Year before 1L...what to do?

Postby nickb285 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Depends how much money you could save up. If you're talking a couple hundred/one or two thousand, it's almost pointless. If you're talking tens of thousands, do that. Assuming the former, I would say keep on travelin'. This will be your last chance to dick around in a foreign country without worrying about getting back by Monday or having to take work emails or bringing the family or using up PTO. Might as well take advantage of that.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:12 pm

nickb285 wrote:Depends how much money you could save up. If you're talking a couple hundred/one or two thousand, it's almost pointless. If you're talking tens of thousands, do that. Assuming the former, I would say keep on travelin'. This will be your last chance to dick around in a foreign country without worrying about getting back by Monday or having to take work emails or bringing the family or using up PTO. Might as well take advantage of that.

+1.

However, if you're a gunner, come back home for the summer and sign up for Law Preview.

Oh, and congrats on your acceptance into law school!

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:56 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
nickb285 wrote:Depends how much money you could save up. If you're talking a couple hundred/one or two thousand, it's almost pointless. If you're talking tens of thousands, do that. Assuming the former, I would say keep on travelin'. This will be your last chance to dick around in a foreign country without worrying about getting back by Monday or having to take work emails or bringing the family or using up PTO. Might as well take advantage of that.

+1.

However, if you're an idiot, come back home for the summer and sign up for Law Preview.

Oh, and congrats on your acceptance into law school!

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:56 pm

I plan to read(Something I've never really gotten into before so I should probably start) and live in my car as I travel this great country of ours for a few months.

Abuse your youth, it's going to leave you soon.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Change your mind.

Also this:

sinfiery wrote:Abuse your youth, it's going to leave you soon.

ETA: that second part is actually probably more important

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:11 pm

booze.

shibby

Postby shibby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Haha. Ok, thanks guys. Think I just needed others to tell me that dicking around for a while is perfectly acceptable.

Btw sinfiery, your year sounds awesome

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:40 pm

get laid?

Seriously though, do something you'll look back on forever. Take that odd job that you otherwise wouldn't, or hitchhike across the country, or backpack through nepal, or something silly

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:43 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Change your mind.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:45 pm

I'm in a similar situation. Is there anything I could do to boost my prospects for future OCI, or would pretty much any job be useless? I'm looking at going into tax or corporate law and I've spent a lot of my time working at accounting firms. Would this be something helpful, if I continue it, or just a waste of time?

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:48 pm

Determine how much money you have. Buy beer accordingly.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:51 am

dingbat wrote:get laid?

Seriously though, do something you'll look back on forever. Take that odd job that you otherwise wouldn't, or hitchhike across the country, or backpack through nepal, or something silly

This. It requires a little more initiative than playing video games or masturbation, but have some experiences. Do at least one relatively major thing that'll be worth telling stories about later on.

shibby

Postby shibby » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:10 am

Great advice. Thank you everyone. I'm currently backpacking around South America, which will definitely be something I'll look back on as an amazing experience. I am just trying to figure out if this is something I can get away with doing until law school, or if I should move back and get a job to save up money/have something substantial on my resume.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:21 am

If I had another year I'd 'dirtbag' around the country sleeping in my truck, camping, and rock climbing at every big location in the US. Go all the hell out man, law school is a bottomless pit of despair.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:49 am

shibby wrote:Great advice. Thank you everyone. I'm currently backpacking around South America, which will definitely be something I'll look back on as an amazing experience. I am just trying to figure out if this is something I can get away with doing until law school, or if I should move back and get a job to save up money/have something substantial on my resume.

In all reality, how much money can you cobble together? What can you possibly do that's "substantial" that you can get right now?

Fuck it, get a job making ice cream, or working in a slaughterhouse, or something insane like that

10miler

Postby 10miler » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:02 pm

I got a different take on this. I'm previewing law books on my own. They're fun reads. Go to amazon (not that u r in s america) and buy dirt cheap law books of past editions. Used ones cost $5. Congrats on admission.

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Just something to consider is that I took off ~6 months before law school and during a couple of interviews people asked me what I did during that time (since there was an obvious gap on my resume). People don't care if you didn't work, but if you didn't, you should at least be able to tell a couple of interesting/funny stories about what you did. It's better to be able to talk about being chased by bulls in spain than it is to talk about your world of warcraft character or something. I talked about the travelling I did and people seemed to enjoy talking about it.

Other than that just enjoy yourself. Contrary to what people seem to say, your life doesn't end once you're in law school. Even working an honest, solid 50 hours a week would put you in the top ~30% of effort at most law schools, and that's like full time burger king work hours. Not to mention, you get to do this "work" in a onesie with a tub of icecream and metallica playing in the background if you want. Point is, you still have lots of time to dick around if you actually work when you're supposed to and don't spend it making facebook status updates about how much work you have to do or something-- so don't feel too much pressure. Of course, once you start actually doing legal work, your life probably is over at that point. So, you know, still beware what a sweet opportunity you have.

Have fun & congrats!

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:23 pm

10miler wrote:I got a different take on this. I'm previewing law books on my own. They're fun reads. Go to amazon (not that u r in s america) and buy dirt cheap law books of past editions. Used ones cost $5. Congrats on admission.

um no

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Don't go.

Gooses

Postby Gooses » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:32 pm

Retake

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:33 pm

10miler wrote:I got a different take on this. I'm previewing law books on my own. They're fun reads. Go to amazon (not that u r in s america) and buy dirt cheap law books of past editions. Used ones cost $5. Congrats on admission.

I took several law classes while doing my masters. That barely gave me an edge over my fellow 1Ls. Reading the law books alone won't help much and isn't efficient use of your time.

That did bring up a point. Learning good time management is probably the most useful thing you can do between now and then.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Total waste of time.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:03 pm

shibby

Postby shibby » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:23 pm

MinEMorris wrote:Just something to consider is that I took off ~6 months before law school and during a couple of interviews people asked me what I did during that time (since there was an obvious gap on my resume). People don't care if you didn't work, but if you didn't, you should at least be able to tell a couple of interesting/funny stories about what you did. It's better to be able to talk about being chased by bulls in spain than it is to talk about your world of warcraft character or something. I talked about the travelling I did and people seemed to enjoy talking about it.

That's really good to know, and something I was worried about. At least for now I've got the "interesting stories" thing covered. Thanks for the advice

Return to “Law School FAQ”