Will excessively sweaty hands hurt me in law school? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
fit2practice

New

Will excessively sweaty hands hurt me in law school?

Post by fit2practice » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Ever since I was little my palms sweated excessively, like to the point of leaving puddles wherever my hands are, like on a desk. They're frequently sopping wet. It's an anxiety thing but it also affects me if a room is too hot (as classrooms often are).

It's frustrating handling paper, because it gets literally soaked or tears from being wet, also can't easily use a laptop computer because the touchpad goes berserk when my fingertips are wet, and lastly, shaking hands is embarrassing...which I am afraid will hurt me come time to get a job/SA.

I've tried applying anti-perspirant to my palms but doesn't work, and I eventually will need to wash my hands during the day anyways. Right now I carry a stack of paper towels in my backpack and have to constantly dry my hands during class.

I've looked into solutions which amount to botox injections or surgery, which has a risk of leaving my hands and wrists paralyzed without any ability to function.

Can I claim this is a disability and ask for accommodations at my school? I even suspect I've bombed job interviews in the past because of the initial handshake. Under the ADA can I do anything if I suspect I'm discriminated against because my palms are soaking wet?

LawyerBrah

New

Re: Will excessively sweaty hands hurt me in law school?

Post by LawyerBrah » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:20 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Jimbo_Jones

Bronze

Post by Jimbo_Jones » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Ground floor

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:33 pm

LawyerBrah wrote:--ImageRemoved--
:lol:

If serious OP, that sounds like something that a medication could definitely help with (either to reduce sweating or to reduce anxiety or both). It sounds like you have hyperhidrosis. There may be non-medication treatments for it as well. It shouldn't hurt you in law school unless it messes up your computer, but I would get treatment if you are serious and it has been a problem before.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:36 pm

I think Adam Corolla had this condition and he had to get surgery to get it fixed. How did you take the LSAT? You can ask for accomodations I guess, but if you can't use paper or a laptop how are you gonna take the exam? For job interviews just dry your hands right before you walk in the room

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fit2practice

New

Post by fit2practice » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
LawyerBrah wrote:--ImageRemoved--
:lol:

If serious OP, that sounds like something that a medication could definitely help with (either to reduce sweating or to reduce anxiety or both). It sounds like you have hyperhidrosis. There may be non-medication treatments for it as well. It shouldn't hurt you in law school unless it messes up your computer, but I would get treatment if you are serious and it has been a problem before.
Yes I assure you all that I am dead serious and if I were trying to troll I would have been at least a tad more creative. In addition, how would an anxiety diagnosis or being on medication affect C&F?

On the LSAT, my hands sweated buckets and I think I had an ink stain on the side of my hand from the booklet. As far as wiping my hands off, it doesn't really work, it's like trying to put your hand over a faucet to stop it from flowing.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Go see a dermatologist if you haven't already.

I can't see the paper / computer issue being that problematic if you've made it this far. Use a wireless mouse if you have trouble with the keypad.

The sweaty hands legitimately might be problematic come employer interviews; they will judge if you shake their hands with your soaking ones. Not much to do other than figure out how to get them not-soaking for the 2 seconds it takes to shake hands. Wiping them on a rag in your pocket right beforehand might do the trick.

Stupe

Bronze

Post by Stupe » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:20 am

Get something like this for your computer problem.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:08 am

If you're serious, you can get botox to paralyze your sweat glands. People (actors) do this all the time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:35 am

cinephile wrote:If you're serious, you can get botox to paralyze your sweat glands. People (actors) do this all the time.
and pianists....

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:53 am

Basically the only real "cure" for this is a pretty major surgery where they make four small incisions in your back and remove a nerve to disrupt your sympathetic nervous system. You wouldn't sweat from your hands, armpits, or anywhere from your chest up but your body would most likely compensate with moving the excessive sweating to other parts of your body like your torso, lower back and legs. Still most people find this preferable to the sweaty hands.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:19 pm

BigZuck wrote:Basically the only real "cure" for this is a pretty major surgery where they make four small incisions in your back and remove a nerve to disrupt your sympathetic nervous system. You wouldn't sweat from your hands, armpits, or anywhere from your chest up but your body would most likely compensate with moving the excessive sweating to other parts of your body like your torso, lower back and legs. Still most people find this preferable to the sweaty hands.
yep....they do this same surgery for people with severe blushing problems.

OP, what interventions have you tried other than just wiping them? beta-blockers (eg, propanalol)? also, how did you get through undergrad?

fit2practice

New

Post by fit2practice » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:05 pm

Undergrad: just carrying paper towels in my backpack and getting weird looks when I wipe my hands ever 5 min. when using my laptop. Sometimes I'd excuse myself to the bathroom and run cold water over my hands for a few min.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:15 pm

Srsly, get medical advice and help.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:41 pm

spleenworship wrote:Srsly, get medical advice and help.
This. You may feel like everybody's giving you weird looks and wondering what's up with the sweaty-hands guy, but you're not the only person who has this problem, and a doctor may have some options for you that the medical experts at toplawschools.com/forums aren't aware of.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”