Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
hume85
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby hume85 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:28 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Cool flawed intelligence studies, bro.


+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

WTF is happening ITT?

User avatar
FattyMcFatFat
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:31 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I personally think both sides are retarded for fighting over such an objectively shitty piece of land. But that's just my preference for not living in a barren desert wasteland talking.


Having lived in a barren desert wasteland in the same region, I will say that your concern is warranted. However, it is Mesopotamia bro. It's biblical and stuff. Sentimental value means nothing to you?
Not religious sentiment, no, because I think religion is silly.
I'm more concerned with either side blowing up ancient archeological sites of interest. I don't care who gets to live there. (How about nobody, and we turn it into a tourist/research site to be preserved for future generations?)

I have less interest in preserving Gaza than the Valley of the Kings in Egypt.


It sounds like you fall into the atheist camp (there's a data point OP). But then where would all the Jews go if we turned it into a tourist site? I mean, the rest of the Middle East doesn't seem to like them very much. Do you think the Palestinians would accept exile too? Do you think their apparent disdain for the Jews (or maybe vice versa) is justified?

User avatar
gguuueessttt
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby gguuueessttt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:33 pm

hume85 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Cool flawed intelligence studies, bro.


+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

WTF is happening ITT?


I've read studies on it in religion classes but I didn't feel like searching through last year's notes so I just copy-pasted the first articles on the subject that I could find. The point remains that it is statistically more likely for people with higher IQs to be atheists. That is a fact. No one is saying that being smart makes you an atheist (tons of intelligent people have been religious). But there is certainly, as sinf said, a correlation between a high IQ and atheism.

User avatar
hume85
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby hume85 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:34 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
John Mill wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
John Mill wrote:Why is that?

Basic assumptions being greater IQ than average for society = less likely to be religious

Second assumption being greater IQ than average for society = more likely to be in law school

And that's about it

Neither of those assumptions are true, and the first one is actually fairly stupid :roll:


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nigel-bar ... 53414.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 132655.htm


The problem is that greater IQ correlating with less religiosity might not be evenly distributed amongst people with above average intelligence. I would argue that the most intelligent people in a country will be the scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and statisticians. Rigorous science education and (arguably) math education leads many people to atheistic beliefs or strengthens them. These people can create a strong negative correlation between intelligence and religious belief if there are enough of them. It doesn't need to be the case that all smart people are less religious. Another point to consider is that smart people feel pressure to downplay the strength of their religios beliefs because of the perception that more intelligent people are less religuous. A simple correlation between intelligence and reported strength of religious belief doesn't necessarily mean that smart people in law school will be less religious. But TBH I actually think sinfiery's assumption is probably true.
Last edited by hume85 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby 071816 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:38 pm

hume85 wrote:.

Why didn't you just delete your fucking post?

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Cool flawed intelligence studies, bro.


I'm not attesting to their truth or value, but rather just pointing out that there is data to support a claim that "greater IQ than average for society = less likely to be religious." Someone called that comment stupid and false. I am just rebutting that response by pointing out that there was some legitimacy to the original comment.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:41 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
hume85 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Cool flawed intelligence studies, bro.


+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

WTF is happening ITT?


I've read studies on it in religion classes but I didn't feel like searching through last year's notes so I just copy-pasted the first articles on the subject that I could find. The point remains that it is statistically more likely for people with higher IQs to be atheists. That is a fact. No one is saying that being smart makes you an atheist (tons of intelligent people have been religious). But there is certainly, as sinf said, a correlation between a high IQ and atheism.

(flawed studies find a conclusions)

(you cite the conclusion)

me:...

User avatar
gguuueessttt
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby gguuueessttt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:43 pm

hume85 wrote:
.


I read your comment before you deleted it and you're wrong. You can't argue with the correlation unless you want to attack the statistics. Even if the correlation is caused by other factors, as you suggested, the point remains that having a higher IQ is correlated with being atheistic.

User avatar
gguuueessttt
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby gguuueessttt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
hume85 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Cool flawed intelligence studies, bro.


+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

WTF is happening ITT?


I've read studies on it in religion classes but I didn't feel like searching through last year's notes so I just copy-pasted the first articles on the subject that I could find. The point remains that it is statistically more likely for people with higher IQs to be atheists. That is a fact. No one is saying that being smart makes you an atheist (tons of intelligent people have been religious). But there is certainly, as sinf said, a correlation between a high IQ and atheism.

(flawed studies find a conclusions)

(you cite the conclusion)

me:...



The studies aren't flawed.
Last edited by gguuueessttt on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:45 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
hume85 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Cool flawed intelligence studies, bro.


+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

WTF is happening ITT?


I've read studies on it in religion classes but I didn't feel like searching through last year's notes so I just copy-pasted the first articles on the subject that I could find. The point remains that it is statistically more likely for people with higher IQs to be atheists. That is a fact. No one is saying that being smart makes you an atheist (tons of intelligent people have been religious). But there is certainly, as sinf said, a correlation between a high IQ and atheism.

(flawed studies find a conclusions)

(you cite the conclusion)

me:...

DESCRIBE the flaws in the studies.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:45 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:The studies aren't flawed.

How do they define intelligence? They probably ignore moral intelligence that can only come from belief in a higher power.

User avatar
gguuueessttt
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby gguuueessttt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:The studies aren't flawed.

How do they define intelligence? They probably ignore moral intelligence that can only come from belief in a higher power.


By a high IQ score. Can you even read?

User avatar
PickledPanda
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby PickledPanda » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:The studies aren't flawed.

How do they define intelligence? They probably ignore moral intelligence that can only come from belief in a higher power.


It says how they define intelligence. . . IQ.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:The studies aren't flawed.

How do they define intelligence? They probably ignore moral intelligence that can only come from belief in a higher power.

Nice troll.

User avatar
hume85
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby hume85 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
hume85 wrote:
.


I read your comment before you deleted it and you're wrong. You can't argue with the correlation unless you want to attack the statistics. Even if the correlation is caused by other factors, as you suggested, the point remains that having a higher IQ is correlated with being atheistic.


I misread your post, and reposted.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:The studies aren't flawed.

How do they define intelligence? They probably ignore moral intelligence that can only come from belief in a higher power.


By a high IQ score. Can you even read?

IQ doesn't take faith into account. Not a good measure of intelligence.

User avatar
gguuueessttt
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby gguuueessttt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:The studies aren't flawed.

How do they define intelligence? They probably ignore moral intelligence that can only come from belief in a higher power.



There is a huge amount of data that shows that having a high IQ correlates with lack of religious belief. I'll find some for you later today if you're going to be so dense, but you might want to search the lil' old google machine yourself if you're so curious about the subject.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby bjsesq » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:The studies aren't flawed.

How do they define intelligence? They probably ignore moral intelligence that can only come from belief in a higher power.


I see you trollin. I hatin. Also: fuck off with this discussion, everyone. Seriously.

User avatar
FattyMcFatFat
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Cool flawed intelligence studies, bro.


I'm not attesting to their truth or value, but rather just pointing out that there is data to support a claim that "greater IQ than average for society = less likely to be religious." Someone called that comment stupid and false. I am just rebutting that response by pointing out that there was some legitimacy to the original comment.


What about among religions themselves? If I said, "Jews are smarter than Muslims," would there be data to support that?

User avatar
gguuueessttt
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby gguuueessttt » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:The studies aren't flawed.

How do they define intelligence? They probably ignore moral intelligence that can only come from belief in a higher power.


By a high IQ score. Can you even read?

IQ doesn't take faith into account. Not a good measure of intelligence.


oh my god (no pun intended) you've been a troll all along :/

Nice one.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:49 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:The studies aren't flawed.

How do they define intelligence? They probably ignore moral intelligence that can only come from belief in a higher power.


I see you trollin. I hatin. Also: fuck off with this discussion, everyone. Seriously.

Thanks for keeping me in line, man.

To be fair, it was a stupid thread from the first post. I don't really feel I ruined anything of value.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby bjsesq » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:51 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:The studies aren't flawed.

How do they define intelligence? They probably ignore moral intelligence that can only come from belief in a higher power.


I see you trollin. I hatin. Also: fuck off with this discussion, everyone. Seriously.

Thanks for keeping me in line, man.

To be fair, it was a stupid thread from the first post. I don't really feel I ruined anything of value.


I think you did a pretty solid job of shitting all over a dumb ass thread, so well done. I'm hatin because I didn't get there first.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:04 pm

If you guys want to troll, help me out over here. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=198287

Tell them that taking even 4-8 hours off for dinner is a grade reduction.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby bjsesq » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you guys want to troll, help me out over here. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=198287

Tell them that taking even 4-8 hours off for dinner is a grade reduction.


Done.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Are There More Christians or Atheists in Law School?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:08 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:If you guys want to troll, help me out over here. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=198287

Tell them that taking even 4-8 hours off for dinner is a grade reduction.


Done.


Appreciate it. My goal is to ruin some dumb 1Ls break.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: towel13661 and 1 guest