Law School Courses as an undergrad - good intro or not?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sabanist

Law School Courses as an undergrad - good intro or not?

Postby sabanist » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Hey y'all,
my undergrad is offering enrollment in some law school courses (2L/3L electives) for honors credit to some students, and I was invited to participate. I'm interested in it because I think it could be a decent opportunity for a dry run of law school studying and exams. However, I'm worried about being too far behind the rest of the class because I don't have 1L classes under my belt to stand much of a chance of passing.
What do those of you already in law school think? Should I give it a shot or just buy LEEWS and save my time?

FWIW, my GPA isn't an issue, and I'm already registered for enough courses to graduate in the spring.
Thanks in advance :)

Re: Law School Courses as an undergrad - good intro or not?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:00 pm

It depends on how the classes are taught and tested. If they are true, doctrinal law classes, this is a great opportunity for you.

But, some law schools have bullshit co-listed "law" classes that aren't really like normal law classes. These really won't help you.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:It depends on how the classes are taught and tested. If they are true, doctrinal law classes, this is a great opportunity for you.

But, some law schools have bullshit co-listed "law" classes that aren't really like normal law classes. These really won't help you.

Any advice on how I can tell the difference?
Here's one of the listings I'm considering, if that helps:

Workplace Law-
Professor X Credit Hours: 2
Course Description: This course provides an introduction to federal, state and common law rules that govern employment other than anti-discrimination rules. Topics covered may include employment contracts, the at-will doctrine, employee privacy, worker safety rules, wage and hour regulations, workers compensation, arbitration of disputes and collective bargaining.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:21 pm

This seems like a softball, undergrad-tailored program. Plus it won't help you at all 1L (being Employment Law and all).

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:37 pm

It sounds like a valuable opportunity--especially because it's being offered as honors credit.

If you don't mind me asking, at what school is that course being offered?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:23 pm

stillwater wrote:This seems like a softball, undergrad-tailored program. Plus it won't help you at all 1L (being Employment Law and all).

Rubbish! Lol. I disagree with anyone who says UG law courses are unhelpful. As long as there is intensive immersion in the legal concepts at-hand, it will be useful. The best UG law courses require briefing, research, at least one major graded exam and/or a term paper. I took three such courses during undergrad, and they were no duck-walks. In fact, they were among the most difficult but stimulating courses I took. I especially loved studying courses like Dred Scott v. Stanford and Marbury v. Madison.

You will study the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (FRCP's) during 1L,and UG law courses are usually tailored towards concepts one might encounter during 1L. Studying employment law may expose you to the elements of race and disability discrimination, and concepts like summary judgment, as well as some of the FRCP's (especially Rules 12(b), 37 and 56). You may even discuss some tort law.

I guarantee you that any student on TLS...ANY STUDENT...would have benefited greatly from the courses I took. In general, any exposure you get to the law is going to be good for you, if only to help you decide whether or not you really like it. It's good to start learning the "terms of art", i.e. legal jargon, and learn to use it.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Learning "terms of art" and "legal jargon" isn't remotely helpful. I would only do it if there's a true issue spotter exam.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:25 pm

IAFG wrote:Learning "terms of art" and "legal jargon" isn't remotely helpful. I would only do it if there's a true issue spotter exam.

This was my hunch. I'll call them today about the exams. Thank y'all so much for the advice.

As for what school this is, I figured my username made it obvious.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:30 pm

I took a legal writing class my senior year. While it wasn't affilated with my undergrad's law school, it was taught by law prof. and he ran it the same way he did for his 1Ls. Of course it was a bit more condensed and didn't have as many assignments but, from what I'm told by my friends who are in law school now, I am super happy I took it. While they were struggling with writing memos and such, I have already done that and know what is expected. I def think taking that class will give me a leg up next year.

If it is a class like that I would def say take it.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sun May 26, 2013 11:50 am

I realize this is a huge necro, but I just wanted to update it for anyone who finds this thread - it was a legitimate 2L/3L elective, and I took an issue spotter final just like everyone else in the class. It was a great experience, and the professor and students were really helpful throughout the process. I didn't feel like I was at any major disadvantage compared to the law students besides exam taking experience.
This was at the University of Alabama, for anyone who couldn't figure it out from my username. If they decide to continue the program, I'd recommend it for any seniors interested in law school who get the invitation.

North

Postby North » Sun May 26, 2013 1:50 pm

sabanist wrote:I realize this is a huge necro, but I just wanted to update it for anyone who finds this thread - it was a legitimate 2L/3L elective, and I took an issue spotter final just like everyone else in the class. It was a great experience, and the professor and students were really helpful throughout the process. I didn't feel like I was at any major disadvantage compared to the law students besides exam taking experience.
This was at the University of Alabama, for anyone who couldn't figure it out from my username. If they decide to continue the program, I'd recommend it for any seniors interested in law school who get the invitation.

Well how did you do?

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sun May 26, 2013 4:35 pm

North wrote:Well how did you do?

I made an A. I'm still pretty stunned by it.

jwaters92

Postby jwaters92 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:39 pm

deleted

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun May 26, 2013 4:41 pm

sabanist wrote:
North wrote:Well how did you do?

I made an A. I'm still pretty stunned by it.

Were you on the same curve?

jwaters92

Postby jwaters92 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:26 pm

deleted

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun May 26, 2013 5:50 pm

jwaters92 wrote:This is likely BS. Just pointing that out..

I don't know what you mean by "bs" but it sounds like a legit seminar, but still a seminar. 2 credits is nothing. Some seminars are tested by exams rather than papers, but they're still small and uncurved and generally easier than the big doctrinal classes like tax.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Mon May 27, 2013 7:25 pm

rad lulz wrote:Were you on the same curve?

I never got a certain answer, but I don't think so. Even so, it was a tiny class, so up to half of us could have gotten A's.

And I don't really know where the "BS" comments are coming from, considering the fact that I just explained what happened a few posts ago. Undergrads invited to the program were sent a list of 2L/3L electives that they could take at UA's law school. I was in a class that was all law students except for me. It wasn't some watered down course for undergrads only (although UA offers a few of those too).
Whether it will actually help me or not in the long run is totally debatable. At least I learned that I write terrible outlines.
I just wanted to update the thread for anyone who might have a similar question in the future to say yes, it's a cool opportunity, and no, you won't be totally screwed for not having taken Torts already.

Return to “Law School FAQ”