macbook pro for law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mavshoosiers4life

macbook pro for law school?

Postby mavshoosiers4life » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:13 pm

trying to decide between the new 13 inch macbook pro with retina display vs. the old 13 inch macbook pro. any thoughts? which one is better for school with the storage space, etc.?

bhan87

Re: macbook pro for law school?

Postby bhan87 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:17 pm

mavshoosiers4life wrote:trying to decide between the new 13 inch macbook pro with retina display vs. the old 13 inch macbook pro. any thoughts? which one is better for school with the storage space, etc.?

Retina display Macbooks are a supreme waste of money in my opinion... If you're going for a laptop purely for schoolwork, I'd much rather get a Macbook Air. It has more than enough computing power to run anything you'll need for law school, and the standard SSD it comes with will actually make certain programs feel snappier than the HDD that comes in non-customized Macbook Pros. Not to mention it feels like a feather carrying it around.

If you want more power to game and stuff, looking at Apple gear is not a wise choice.

Postby 2014 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:18 pm

What do you do that requires the retina display?

By and large you need something that can run the internet and MS word with high battery life being a plus. Anything made in the last like 5 years should be fine for that.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:18 pm

I think you'll be fine either way

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:28 pm

The new macbook pro is smaller and lighter than the older one, and something people don't understand about law school until they're in it is that you spend your whole life either behind your laptop or carrying it.
That being said, there is absolutely no reason to go with a Pro over an Air unless you are a professional photographer on the side. They're lighter and thinner, but more important they're cheaper. And if you can't bear to be without a disk drive then the Pro won't help you because they no longer come with a disk drive.
Also don't overlook netbooks and ultrabooks. Netbooks are literally half as expensive as ultrabooks or Airs and are also light with great battery lives.

LawyerBrah

Postby LawyerBrah » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:01 am

Get the Macbook Pro with retina display (if you can afford it)

I have both the Air and Pro, and i consider the pro to be much better.

Just don't like the feel of the air at all. The pro feels a lot more sturdy and comfortable.

Retina display is nice -- if you can afford to spend the money do it; otherwise get a regular pro.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:00 pm

F*ck. Hopefully macs are only at TTTs. I will be pissed if there are >40% Macs at my lawschool.

presidentk1

Postby presidentk1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:01 pm

don't buy a mac

period.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:11 pm

sinfiery wrote:F*ck. Hopefully macs are only at TTTs. I will be pissed if there are >40% Macs at my lawschool.

There's a ton of Macs at my school

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:51 pm

gaud wrote:
sinfiery wrote:F*ck. Hopefully macs are only at TTTs. I will be pissed if there are >40% Macs at my lawschool.

There's a ton of Macs at my school

I hope that doesn't include you Gaud.
I really do.

Return to “Law School FAQ”