How many law schools did you guys all apply to?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
scifiguy

Re: How many law schools did you guys all apply to?

Postby scifiguy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:04 pm

Interesting thread.

In the book Law School Confidential, they say about 15+ is a good idea. The reasoning was that admissions to law school is much harder to predict (one guy in the book got into a TOP 3/HSY and rejected from ALL his safety schools) than with undergrad. They also added that law school classes aren't that large compared to undergrad. So highly qualified people can be rejected.

I'm an OL, so really can't offer much experienced advice, but just mentioning something I read last week in the book LSC.

OUt of curisoity, how do you get a fee waiver on law school apps? That was something I was curious about - I mean the fees - when reading LSC. I was thinking 15+ schools? Won't that be quite a bit of money?? Although, the authors do say that it's still worth it to apply to lots because you just might get into your dream school.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:16 pm

scifiguy wrote:Interesting thread.

In the book Law School Confidential, they say about 15+ is a good idea. The reasoning was that admissions to law school is much harder to predict (one guy in the book got into a TOP 3/HSY and rejected from ALL his safety schools) than with undergrad. They also added that law school classes aren't that large compared to undergrad. So highly qualified people can be rejected.

I'm an OL, so really can't offer much experienced advice, but just mentioning something I read last week in the book LSC.

OUt of curisoity, how do you get a fee waiver on law school apps? That was something I was curious about - I mean the fees - when reading LSC. I was thinking 15+ schools? Won't that be quite a bit of money?? Although, the authors do say that it's still worth it to apply to lots because you just might get into your dream school.

Most of what you said in that first paragraph is very wrong.

To answer your question, if you have the requisite LSAT/GPA and sign up for candidate referral service schools will email you waivers or just waive them on your account.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:34 am

bernaldiaz wrote:

To answer your question, if you have the requisite LSAT/GPA and sign up for candidate referral service schools will email you waivers or just waive them on your account.

You can also get fee waivers if you're really poor. Either way, you still have to pay the reporting fee for most schools.

15 schools without waivers will be a ton of money (~$1,200-1,500). Generally, schools will not give you a fee waiver unless you have very good GPA/LSAT and have a good shot at being accepted. Some schools are known for giving out a lot of fee waivers (ex: Cincinnati).

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:43 am

I applied to way too many. Luckily, I had fee waivers to nearly all of them.
Last edited by eav1277 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:54 am

Only applying to a couple schools is pennywise and pound foolish. You'll be MAF when your number twins are entering the scholarships they negotiated into LSN and you have no bargaining chips because you didn't apply to the peer schools you didn't like as much.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:31 pm

IAFG wrote:Only applying to a couple schools is pennywise and pound foolish. You'll be MAF when your number twins are entering the scholarships they negotiated into LSN and you have no bargaining chips because you didn't apply to the peer schools you didn't like as much.

Sigh.

I thought about trying to save $80-200 on a few apps but reading this changed my mind.

Thank you.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:52 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:

Thanks for the response. Do you know if schools email you the waiver before you apply (or at least at the beginning process) or if it's retroactive? I'm kind of a financially strapped kid and my parents probably wouldn't be too happy about paying like $1K+ in fees. Plus, I may be applying to Ph.D. and master's programs, haha. Seriously, I'm looking at about three or four types of grad school programs. Going to be kind of a hectic period if I do decide to apply to them all.

So you say I'm also wrong about Law School Confidential's recommendation. Can you explain why? I thought LSC was the Bible of law school? I saw people recommend it here too. Are the authors really wrong?

I just couldn't see myself applying to like 5 schools. What if I get rejected to them all? I'd at least want 3 safety schools, 3 dream/reach schools, and a bunch where I'm a match.

It woudl suck to ask my parnets for the money, but I'd be probably thinking if I'm going to apply to law school and spend possibly $100K+ over the process, then why not put down an extra $1K or so to see if I can get the best school and best deal? The extra money wouldn't seem to be a bad idea in teh long run. There was that guy in LSC who got HSY and got rejected from all his safety schools. They say the admissions process is just much more unpredictable than in UG.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:10 pm

Almost all schools require you to first obtain a fee waiver in order for it to apply. I remember seeing one or two that said they would refund fees, but it was definitely not the norm. Waivers are also only good for 1 cycle, so if you're taking the LSAT next month or in February and get fee waivers, be sure to follow up with the school and let them know that you need a new one next year. I was an early taker, and I found most schools were very accommodating.

And I applied to 12, only paid for 1.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:03 pm

scifiguy wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:

Thanks for the response. Do you know if schools email you the waiver before you apply (or at least at the beginning process) or if it's retroactive? I'm kind of a financially strapped kid and my parents probably wouldn't be too happy about paying like $1K+ in fees. Plus, I may be applying to Ph.D. and master's programs, haha. Seriously, I'm looking at about three or four types of grad school programs. Going to be kind of a hectic period if I do decide to apply to them all.

So you say I'm also wrong about Law School Confidential's recommendation. Can you explain why? I thought LSC was the Bible of law school? I saw people recommend it here too. Are the authors really wrong?

I just couldn't see myself applying to like 5 schools. What if I get rejected to them all? I'd at least want 3 safety schools, 3 dream/reach schools, and a bunch where I'm a match.

It woudl suck to ask my parnets for the money, but I'd be probably thinking if I'm going to apply to law school and spend possibly $100K+ over the process, then why not put down an extra $1K or so to see if I can get the best school and best deal? The extra money wouldn't seem to be a bad idea in teh long run. There was that guy in LSC who got HSY and got rejected from all his safety schools. They say the admissions process is just much more unpredictable than in UG.

Law School Confidential is an awful book for 0L's and 1L's. It's advice is rudimentary at best and horribly flawed at worst.

There are much better law school books than LSC (ex: "Getting to Maybe" and "Planet Law School").

DO NOT TAKE LSC AS A "BIBLE" OF LAW SCHOOL. Really, TLS guides and forums provide everything you can get from "how-to-succeed-in-law-school" books. IMHO, TLS is better than the guides 95% of the time.

Note: I heavily relied on PLS, LEEWS, and to a small extent GtM during 1L. TLS was a great source of more specific and opinionated guides. I did well during 1L and transferred to a T14 as a result.

lnh819

Postby lnh819 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:15 pm

8 - and 7 of them were in Texas

annet

Postby annet » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:47 pm

IAFG wrote:Only applying to a couple schools is pennywise and pound foolish. You'll be MAF when your number twins are entering the scholarships they negotiated into LSN and you have no bargaining chips because you didn't apply to the peer schools you didn't like as much.

Damn you and your logic. But, yeah, good point.

obcession

Postby obcession » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:45 pm

Applied to 15, 10 of lower T14 and a few other tier 1's, 5 Canadian

Boy are Canadian school tuitions cheap compared to T14.

KingsCup

Postby KingsCup » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:02 pm

12 schools, waivers to 7. Applied over a large range of schools because of splitter status though

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:45 pm

The reasoning was that admissions to law school is much harder to predict (one guy in the book got into a TOP 3/HSY and rejected from ALL his safety schools) than with undergrad.

The very same thing happened to this chick I used to work with. She applied to a shit-load of law schools, ended up being rejected by Georgia State, but accepted into NYU, or so she claimed. I thought she was full of complete bullshit when she told us, seriously, rejected by State, but accepted in a T-5? No way! There wasn't shit she could say or do to make me believe otherwise.

I went to visit NYU this year, guess who was there? Smmofoh! Don't ask me how-- maybe she spent more time on her NYU app? Gave an addy a h/j? I don't know, but she's there. I would like to believe shit like this is the exception and not the rule.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:00 pm

14- everywhere T14 except Y, Duke, UVA. Added USC, UCLA, Hastings.

Wondering if I should apply to UVA even though I have no intention of attending just so I can leverage scholarship possibilities though...

Return to “Law School FAQ”