Is Senior year GPA considered?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Is Senior year GPA considered?

Postby sosa » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Hey guys, I will be applying to LS next year (fall 13) and have a quick question.

I am currently a junior and my GPA is right at a 3.49 as of now. In one month when this semester is over it will probably be around a 3.54, and by the time my junior year is over (spring 13) it will possibly be around 3.59 - 6

Now, I intend on taking the LSAT in June (also October if necessary) and applying in the fall of senior year.

My question is this:

Since my application will be viewed at the beginning (or during) my first senior semester, will my GPA up until my Junior year (along with LSAT obviously) be all that is really considered? In other words, will my entire senior year chances to raise my GPA be futile since they do not consider that year for obvious reasons (since a decision has to be rendered before I would finish Senior year)?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Is Senior year GPA considered?

Postby 2014 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Short answer is no it won't be considered. However, you can update it with your fall GPA if it increases which will be before some decisions have been rendered and should it go up further in the spring you can use it as a letter of continued interest should you be riding any wait lists at that point.

It works both ways though, if your GPA drops you don't have to update them with the lower one.

If you think your GPA will go up enough to put you in consideration for different schools you can always wait a year too. To this point I haven't heard a good argument for going to law school straight out of undergrad.

Return to “Law School FAQ”