Withdraw or take B-

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
warandpeace

Withdraw or take B-

Postby warandpeace » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:58 am

I'm really struggling this semester, and considering dropping a class I might get a B- in. I most likely will get 2 As and 2 B+s in my other classes...for the sake of not hurting my gpa further should I withdraw? How do law schools look at 'W's?

patrickd139

Re: Withdraw or take B-

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:14 am

warandpeace wrote:I'm really struggling this semester, and considering dropping a class I might get a B- in. I most likely will get 2 As and 2 B+s in my other classes...for the sake of not hurting my gpa further should I withdraw? How do law schools look at 'W's?

I know there are lots of moving parts, and many ways this could go wrong, but: Is '(wo)man up and study' still an acceptable answer for these questions?

JFC, it's a college course.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:26 am

patrickd139 wrote:
warandpeace wrote:I'm really struggling this semester, and considering dropping a class I might get a B- in. I most likely will get 2 As and 2 B+s in my other classes...for the sake of not hurting my gpa further should I withdraw? How do law schools look at 'W's?

I know there are lots of moving parts, and many ways this could go wrong, but: Is '(wo)man up and study' still an acceptable answer for these questions?

JFC, it's a college course.

I don't think a B is a possibility anymore lol

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:16 pm

You're an undergrad? Take the W, but make sure that doesn't drop you below full-time student status as that may affect your loans.

Stupe

Postby Stupe » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Don't Ws count as 0 (F) on the LSDAS GPA?

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Only a W/F would affect the LSDAS GPA

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:19 am

Stupe wrote:Don't Ws count as 0 (F) on the LSDAS GPA?

Not if the school doesn't count it as an F.

I have a W and an LSDAS 4.0.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:51 am

Why would your school let you withdraw now? Don't you have a deadline?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:56 am

oh for the luv of....

what makes you think you will get a B-? I've had some classes where I thought I would get a C and got an A, and more-or-less the other way around as well.

drop it is you feel it is the best thing for you, but not because you think you have the prescience to tell you are getting a B- in it

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:04 am

Mike12188 wrote:Why would your school let you withdraw now? Don't you have a deadline?

Yeah this too... Calm down, you will be ok.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:21 am

Lawquacious wrote:drop it is you feel it is the best thing for you, but not because you think you have the prescience to tell you are getting a B- in it

OP's grades are probably based on a lot of work he's already had graded.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:56 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:drop it is you feel it is the best thing for you, but not because you think you have the prescience to tell you are getting a B- in it

Yeah possibly, but if this is a fall 2012 class it is obviously too late to drop anyway. And even classes with mid-terms it can be hard to predict final grade for.

North

Postby North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Yeah possibly, but if this is a fall 2012 class it is obviously too late to drop anyway. And even classes with mid-terms it can be hard to predict final grade for.

I think OP is in UG still, not LS.

Justin Genious

Postby Justin Genious » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:54 am

Lawquacious wrote:

oh for the luv of....

what makes you think you will get a B-? I've had some classes where I thought I would get a C and got an A, and more-or-less the other way around as well.

drop it is you feel it is the best thing for you, but not because you think you have the prescience to tell you are getting a B- in it

?

I've never had a single UG course in which I had no clue on what my final grade could/would be. Large sample size, right?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:09 am

Justin Genious wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

oh for the luv of....

?

I've never had a single UG course in which I had no clue on what my final grade could/would be. Large sample size, right?

Was kinda hoping I wasn't the only one.

Even before the final, I've never been off in my final grade prediction. Not even by a + or -. If you pay attention, it's not that hard to do.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:55 am

Justin Genious wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

oh for the luv of....

?

Didn't realize OP was undergrad. But really, you have been able to consistently tell exactly what your grade is prior to it being released? And even if so, have you have been able to drop your class without it hurting your grade in the middle of December? If so to both, good for you. If not, not sure what you have to add here.

Justin Genious

Postby Justin Genious » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:30 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Justin Genious wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

oh for the luv of....

?

Didn't realize OP was undergrad. But really, you have been able to consistently tell exactly what your grade is prior to it being released? And even if so, have you have been able to drop your class without it hurting your grade in the middle of December? If so to both, good for you. If not, not sure what you have to add here.

"what makes you think you will get a B-? I've had some classes where I thought I would get a C and got an A, and more-or-less the other way around as well."

I never stated that I could "consistently tell exactly" what my grade was in the class. I can, although, say that I never experienced such a drastic change in my actual vs perceived grade--such as an A to a C or vise versa. As for OP's original question, sorry bud, can't contribute here. I know nobody on TLS ever goes off topic in threads.

Return to “Law School FAQ”