Safest and most dangerous campuses

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
PDaddy

Safest and most dangerous campuses

Postby PDaddy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:47 am

I just saw http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... ction=DESC regarding a campus shooting at USC. Which schools are the safest and which do people find to be the most dangerous?

To what degree - if any - do these reputations affect your decisions, and should they? Does scholarship money help mitigate the risks? Other than following the usual common sense measures, what can people do to stay safe? No gun recommendations please.

yuzu

Re: Safest and most dangerous campuses

Postby yuzu » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:52 pm

http://www.bestplaces.net/crime/ can give you a comparison.

Personally, I don't spend much time worrying about crime, no matter the city. Violent crime very rarely is perpetrated against strangers, and if you are spending time with law school classmates (rather than drug dealers) you will be fairly safe. You're much more likely to die from car accidents, drunk driving, etc., than from violent crime.

Property crime happens, but as a graduate student I don't have that much property of value to worry about. My roommate's car got broken into at one school where I studied, and I've had a couple bikes stolen where I didn't secure them well. Each of these incidents cost maybe $250. That doesn't move the needle when you're considering a $150,000 tuition expense. (Presently, I don't ride a bicycle or have a car, so I don't have to worry about that kind of stuff.)

IMHO the biggest cost of crime is the paranoia that develops as everyone tries to be secure. At UC Hastings and GWU I've been turned away from buildings because I didn't have the right ID with me; dealing with that kind of security is a pain because it interferes with your life and studies.

Generally speaking, though, three years of law school is a fairly short time. Maybe if you were considering a full-time position where you'd be raising kids, or maybe if you were going to law school in Juarez, there would be an issue. But most American cities, while dangerous by world standards, are statistically very unlikely to harm any particular graduate student.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:59 pm

yuzu wrote:http://www.bestplaces.net/crime/ can give you a comparison.

Personally, I don't spend much time worrying about crime, no matter the city. Violent crime very rarely is perpetrated against strangers, and if you are spending time with law school classmates (rather than drug dealers) you will be fairly safe. You're much more likely to die from car accidents, drunk driving, etc., than from violent crime.

Property crime happens, but as a graduate student I don't have that much property of value to worry about. My roommate's car got broken into at one school where I studied, and I've had a couple bikes stolen where I didn't secure them well. Each of these incidents cost maybe $250. That doesn't move the needle when you're considering a $150,000 tuition expense. (Presently, I don't ride a bicycle or have a car, so I don't have to worry about that kind of stuff.)

IMHO the biggest cost of crime is the paranoia that develops as everyone tries to be secure. At UC Hastings and GWU I've been turned away from buildings because I didn't have the right ID with me; dealing with that kind of security is a pain because it interferes with your life and studies.

Generally speaking, though, three years of law school is a fairly short time. Maybe if you were considering a full-time position where you'd be raising kids, or maybe if you were going to law school in Juarez, there would be an issue. But most American cities, while dangerous by world standards, are statistically very unlikely to harm any particular graduate student.

Kind of see where you are coming from on this, but demographics can play a big role (i.e. if you are male you generally have a lot less to worry about re: walking around on campus late at night).

I agree hypervigilance won't solve anything, but I think dismissing or underestimating potential risks can also be a mistake.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:05 pm

PDaddy wrote:To what degree - if any - do these reputations affect your decisions, and should they?

I went from an urban undergrad (GWU) to a law school that is in a really small city (Wake) and although campus and city safety did not play into my decision, I have to say its quite nice to not have to look over my shoulder all the time. I am a big guy (6'2 210+ lbs) and there were several close calls on the streets of Washington (attempted muggings, someone tried to grab my phone out of my hand on the Metro). Would it override scholarship money? No. Was it even a factor in my decision making process? No. Am I glad that I don't have to look over my shoulder anymore when Im walking to the library or around campus? Yes.

PDaddy wrote:Other than following the usual common sense measures, what can people do to stay safe?

Honestly, if you go to a school in a dangerous area, just walk with a purpose and know your surroundings. In my experience, people dont just walk up to you with a gun and demand your wallet. They try to sneak up on you with one or more people. If you make sure that they know your watching them and put a scowl on your face they usually leave you alone.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:08 pm

I would add that its nice (went to ug in a fairly rough city and am now in Ithaca) and probably just one of those factors that could tip it if all else was equal. I thought it was pretty cool that my LL left my apartment open with the keys on the kitchen table for a week because she was going to be out of town when I was moving in. I keep it locked but I still like that haha

Return to “Law School FAQ”