UNT Law School Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bizchick05

New

UNT Law School

Post by bizchick05 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:59 pm

I saw while browsing the web that UNT Law is planning start accepting applications next fall for their 2014 class.

Is this school ABA approved, ranked, etc? I don't know much about this school and was curious to know more about Dallas' first public school option. I'm highly doubtful about them even being ranked without an entering class.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: UNT Law School

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:01 pm

Stop making threads about different schools. If you have to stay in Dallas, either go to SMU or don't go until you can get into SMU. Neither Wesleyan nor UNT are in any way worth going to.

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:48 pm

The direct answer to your two questions is no (by approved I'm assuming you mean ABA accredited) and no (by ranked I'm assuming you mean the traditional law school ranking scale). Here's a cut and paste from the UNT Dallas College of Law website concerning accreditation.

"The UNT Dallas College of Law will seek accreditation according to the timeline and requirements of the ABA. The first step in the accreditation process is seeking “provisional approval.” A law school may be eligible for provisional accreditation after two years. During the fall of the school’s second year of operation, the school may apply for provisional approval. This process requires the school to submit a detailed self-study, undergo a site evaluation, and complete a site-evaluation questionnaire. After receiving results of the site evaluation and other materials, the Accreditation Committee holds a hearing and considers the application for provisional approval.

Once the school gains provisional approval, it remains in provisional status for at least three years. Final approval requires the school to establish that it is in full compliance with the Rules and Standards. During the period of provisional status, the Council monitors the school closely.

Graduates of a provisionally accredited school are entitled to the same recognition as graduates of fully approved schools."

bizchick05

New

Post by bizchick05 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 am

Leprechaun wrote:The direct answer to your two questions is no (by approved I'm assuming you mean ABA accredited) and no (by ranked I'm assuming you mean the traditional law school ranking scale). Here's a cut and paste from the UNT Dallas College of Law website concerning accreditation.

"The UNT Dallas College of Law will seek accreditation according to the timeline and requirements of the ABA. The first step in the accreditation process is seeking “provisional approval.” A law school may be eligible for provisional accreditation after two years. During the fall of the school’s second year of operation, the school may apply for provisional approval. This process requires the school to submit a detailed self-study, undergo a site evaluation, and complete a site-evaluation questionnaire. After receiving results of the site evaluation and other materials, the Accreditation Committee holds a hearing and considers the application for provisional approval.

Once the school gains provisional approval, it remains in provisional status for at least three years. Final approval requires the school to establish that it is in full compliance with the Rules and Standards. During the period of provisional status, the Council monitors the school closely.

Graduates of a provisionally accredited school are entitled to the same recognition as graduates of fully approved schools."
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”