Texas Wesleyan Law School - General Question

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
StylinNProfilin

Re: Texas Wesleyan Law School - General Question

Postby StylinNProfilin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 am

patrickd139 wrote:
bchirco wrote:Isn't Texas A&M buying this law school? I wonder if it would be any better at that point.

You think adding that festering TTTT of a state school's name to a law school can improve anything?

+1

TexasAggie13

Postby TexasAggie13 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Stay away from Wesleyan. Good God stay away. My dentist's son just graduated from there and he is VERY fortunate to have a decent legal job I kid you not though he says that not a single one of his buddies ended up with a legal job. Not one. You are going to law school to get a job in the legal sector, Wesleyan gives you terrible horrendous awful odds at achieving that goal and will strap you with a mountain of debt due to their insane scholarship stips.

Also FWIW I do think the A&M brand will eventually improve Wesleyan's standing (I know most of the nation views us as dumb rednecks, but we really are a strong academic institution and the A&M brand carries a tremendous amount of weight in TX) and could even potentially rival Tech's law school in time, but that is going to take a LONG time. A&M has the money and the connections to make it happen, but Wesleyan is a real disaster, it will take a long time to make it even remotely decent.

star fox

Postby star fox » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:10 am

bizchick05 wrote:My husband's job is the reason I'm stuck in DFW.

I'm going to retake the LSAT and apply for next cycle. There's no reason to incur debt if there's scholarship money available for a higher score.

Congrats, you're making the correct decision!

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:35 am

TexasAggie13 wrote:Stay away from Wesleyan. Good God stay away. My dentist's son just graduated from there and he is VERY fortunate to have a decent legal job I kid you not though he says that not a single one of his buddies ended up with a legal job. Not one. You are going to law school to get a job in the legal sector, Wesleyan gives you terrible horrendous awful odds at achieving that goal and will strap you with a mountain of debt due to their insane scholarship stips.

Also FWIW I do think the A&M brand will eventually improve Wesleyan's standing (I know most of the nation views us as dumb rednecks, but we really are a strong academic institution and the A&M brand carries a tremendous amount of weight in TX) and could even potentially rival Tech's law school in time, but that is going to take a LONG time. A&M has the money and the connections to make it happen, but Wesleyan is a real disaster, it will take a long time to make it even remotely decent.

Leave it to A&M to buy a TTTT at a time applications and legal employment are at the lowest of all time.

TexasAggie13

Postby TexasAggie13 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:39 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:
TexasAggie13 wrote:Stay away from Wesleyan. Good God stay away. My dentist's son just graduated from there and he is VERY fortunate to have a decent legal job I kid you not though he says that not a single one of his buddies ended up with a legal job. Not one. You are going to law school to get a job in the legal sector, Wesleyan gives you terrible horrendous awful odds at achieving that goal and will strap you with a mountain of debt due to their insane scholarship stips.

Leave it to A&M to buy a TTTT at a time applications and legal employment are at the lowest of all time.

I never said it was a good decision, I just said that in time the school will improve due to A&M money/connections. I was honestly sort of pissed when I heard we bought it.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:05 pm

TexasAggie13 wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:

I never said it was a good decision, I just said that in time the school will improve due to A&M money/connections. I was honestly sort of pissed when I heard we bought it.

All joking aside, I agree with you that the school will improve and I could see it getting on the same level as Tech. Probably will never be able to compete with SMU in the Dallas market. To OP, I live in Fort Worth and have met a few 3l's at various networking events. It is as bad as the statistics say.

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 pm

I agree with everything said about TW. I chose to keep my 70k a year job instead of attending law school there.

However, whoever said Texas A&M is a TTTT school shouldn't be sharing out loud. It's a Tier 1 university and a Top 20 research institution. It was ranked the #6 public university in the country.

Everything else said is credited regarding Wesleyan, however.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:56 pm

NomNom wrote:I agree with everything said about TW. I chose to keep my 70k a year job instead of attending law school there.

However, whoever said Texas A&M is a TTTT school shouldn't be sharing out loud. It's a Tier 1 university and a Top 20 research institution. It was ranked the #6 public university in the country.

Everything else said is credited regarding Wesleyan, however.

Poor Aggy

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Poor Aggy

LOL. Will Mack Brown have a football team this year? I never thought "Worse than Baylor" would be your new motto.

Sadly I assumed the "T" hat in your profile was for Tennessee. Talk about not looking back, right?

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:16 pm

yeah people confuse the winningest program in College Baseball with Tennessee all the time...

"We can compare football programs when you win a national championship or maybe just win your conference (15 years and counting....)"

Sincerely,

Case McCoy

NomNom

Postby NomNom » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:26 pm

Poor Cart McCoy. I wish things had worked out for him. A shame to see him waste away to nothing like Vince Young in the NFL.

Alright enough banter. I just stopped in this thread to share my thoughts on TW. OP, don't do it. Retake. Take care all.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:34 am

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. I can't believe they post this on their website and yet people still decide to matriculate to this TTT.
TTTTexas Wesleyan Universitttty Law School (LinkRemoved) wrote:Scholarship Retention Data Worksheet:
2011-12 # of Students with Conditional Scholarships: 126
2011-12 # of Students whose Scholarships are Reduced or Eliminated: 91

Props, (I guess?) for being ballsy enough to admit on your own school website that a shade more than 72% of your students lose their scholarships or have them reduced.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:03 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:yeah people confuse the winningest program in College Baseball with Tennessee all the time...

"We can compare football programs when you win a national championship or maybe just win your conference (15 years and counting....)"

Sincerely,

Case McCoy

Actually, we can compare them now. A&M is better.

older guy

Postby older guy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Here's the deal about Texas Wesleyan. If you're the traditional student, then it's probably one of the worst places for you. These are some reasons why you should look into the school, however:

1. If you have been through life a bit and law school is the second, third, or fourth career move
2. If you are working and want to go to law school part-time
3. If you just want a law degree
4. If you plan not to work in the legal profession, or have it as your major source of income
5. If you don't want to work in a large or established law firm
6. If you're crafty enough and think you can open your own practice, or free-lance

Most people don't realize that the school started out as night school and its strength is how it caters to the working adult. So you have to look at the school in that context. I worked full-time while attending night school there. I graduated. Know many success stories. My non-legal job is still my primary job. But I also do some legal work on the side, picking up a few thousand bucks a month and learning on the job, so to speak.

So if you were in my shoes or similar, TWU is a much better school than SMU. I got admitted to both, but chose to drive further to TWU because it catered better to my needs at the time.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:42 pm

older guy wrote:
So if you were in my shoes or similar, TWU is a much better school than SMU. I got admitted to both, but chose to drive further to TWU because it catered better to my needs at the time.

I thought SMU had a pretty robust part-time curriculum as well. What made TWU so much more attractive to you?

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:19 pm

older guy wrote:Here's the deal about Texas Wesleyan. If you're the traditional student, then it's probably one of the worst places for you. These are some reasons why you should look into the school, however:

1. If you have been through life a bit and law school is the second, third, or fourth career move
4. If you plan not to work in the legal profession, or have it as your major source of income
6. If you're crafty enough and think you can open your own practice, or free-lance

Most people don't realize that the school started out as night school and its strength is how it caters to the working adult. So you have to look at the school in that context. I worked full-time while attending night school there. I graduated. Know many success stories. My non-legal job is still my primary job. But I also do some legal work on the side, picking up a few thousand bucks a month and learning on the job, so to speak.

(Outed as TWU AdComm)

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:21 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
older guy wrote:

I thought SMU had a pretty robust part-time curriculum as well. What made TWU so much more attractive to you?

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

it does. SMU PT is one of the best PTs in the country

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:55 pm

older guy wrote:Here's the deal about Texas Wesleyan. If you're the traditional student, then it's probably one of the worst places for you. These are some reasons why you should look into the school, however:

I'm glad it's working out for you, but a lot of those are terrible reasons for the average prospective PT student to attend TWU.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:57 pm

His name is "older guy."

I smell a troll. But why the bump?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:53 pm

So....don't go to Wesleyan if you want to be an actual lawyer is what you're saying?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:His name is "older guy."

I smell a troll. But why the bump?

To celebrate the ABA sanctioning the union between tttamu and TTTWU?

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:52 pm

Post removed.

Return to “Law School FAQ”