New Law School in Peoria, IL?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Samara

New Law School in Peoria, IL?

Postby Samara » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:43 am

Yet another new law school is being proposed, this time in Peoria, Ill. at Bradley University. Bradley Law would be the tenth law school in Illinois.

--LinkRemoved--
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 0930103908

Some choice quotes:

The state already has nine law schools, six of which are about 3 1/2 hours away in Chicago. But law students who want to attend a private school in Illinois have no options outside of Chicago, Shadid said, and Peoria is bound to charge lower tuition. "Cost is very important to students today, and I can't imagine how we couldn't be less than the Chicago-area schools," he said.

Despite a national glut of attorneys, a Bradley school could push its curriculum toward areas of expertise. For instance, Shadid says, as computer technology continues to expand, the industry demands attorneys well versed in intellectual property and other related issues.

"That could be a niche," Shadid says.

Medical law continues to grow as a phenomenal need, Shadid says. That makes for a great tie-in for Peoria, with its huge medical community and the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria.

"Maybe there's a relationship in some (educational) fashion," Shadid says.

"All the law schools in Chicago are cranking out all those lawyers," Linder said. "Those lawyers aren't coming down here, most of them. I think most of them are big city-oriented."

Linder said even graduates of the University of Illinois College of Law at Urbana-Champaign, 90 miles away, "gravitate back toward Chicago" or elsewhere in the nation "and don't come back" to central Illinois.

"The problem in legal education today is not producing too many lawyers," Roberts said. "It's that we're graduating too many students with huge debt. … We have to figure out a way to make legal education more affordable."

"There is a need for more lawyers in our society. The unmet legal needs of people and small business in our society is shocking."

"I think a law degree is a fantastic degree, because you don't necessarily have to practice law. You can go into many different areas," Shadid said. "In addition, I think there's always going to be a need for good lawyers."

"And I think there's always going to be a market for good lawyers," he said.

florida1949

Re: New Law School in Peoria, IL?

Postby florida1949 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 am

lol, just lol

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:54 am

Rather than being guaranteed by the federal government, I would LOVE to see student loans at new law schools personally guaranteed by the founding dean.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:54 am

It's like a checklist of shitty law school justification cliches. You can use a JD in so many other careers, check. IP is a growing field, check.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:57 am

rinkrat19 wrote:It's like a checklist of shitty law school justification cliches. You can use a JD in so many other careers, check. IP is a growing field, check.

It's like he's pulling buzzwords out of thin air and saying, "hey, that's something, let's be good at that."

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:28 pm

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/2012/10/will-it-play-in-peoria.html

Now the state of Illinois already has nine law schools, and indeed the University of Illinois itself is a mere 90 miles from Peoria. So it's not as if kids who grow up on the shores of the Illinois River have to undertake a heroic quest to reach their long-cherished goal of attendance at an actual ABA-accredited law school: a fairly short drive down I-74 will do the trick.

bahaha

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:14 pm

florida1949 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/2012/10/will-it-play-in-peoria.html

Now the state of Illinois already has nine law schools, and indeed the University of Illinois itself is a mere 90 miles from Peoria. So it's not as if kids who grow up on the shores of the Illinois River have to undertake a heroic quest to reach their long-cherished goal of attendance at an actual ABA-accredited law school: a fairly short drive down I-74 will do the trick.

bahaha

But U of I is a lowly public school. All those Peorians are being denied a chance at a private school! They have to go all the way to Chicago for that!

Puffin

Postby Puffin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:55 pm

OH THANK GOODNESS WE HAD NO CHOICES.

Return to “Law School FAQ”