SMU Law Question

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
kalvano

Re: SMU Law Question

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:57 am

kapachino wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:SMU also pays employers to hire their graduates.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairp ... loyers.php

So does Duke.

I'm not short on criticism about SMU, obviously. But since when does trying to get people a job qualify as something bad about a school?

It doesn't seem screamingly unethical on its face, but considering that this practice is aimed at artificially inflating the percentage of hired graduates, it ain't good. Wouldn't it be more honest for Dedman (and the other schools that do this) to keep things organic and let its graduates get hired on the school's reputation ? I don't think Legacy Rabbit has a legitimate argument, and I don't think Test Drive is anywhere near controversial as the Observer tried to make it. Still, it should raise a couple of questions for applicants.

I guess I look at it as an effort to get people employed. Regardless of the benefit to the law school, if you were unemployed and someone offered you a paying job, would you say "no thanks"?

Besides, the program is dying out. Most people I know who graduated in May have something lined up. May not be what they wanted when they went to law school, but a job's a job.

bizchick05

Postby bizchick05 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:34 pm

Being a PT applicant, do you think it will be ok to apply later in the cycle with SMU and expect scholarship $$?

Also, does SMU pay close attention to personal statements? Will they accept someone with a convincing personal statement with an LSAT score in the 150s possibly?

Thanks!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:36 pm

bizchick05 wrote:Being a PT applicant, do you think it will be ok to apply later in the cycle with SMU and expect scholarship $$?

Also, does SMU pay close attention to personal statements? Will they accept someone with a convincing personal statement with an LSAT score in the 150s possibly?

Thanks!

SMU is unreasonable slow in the application process. If you aren't in by November 15 (or whatever the EA deadline is), you have plenty of time to apply.

Also, there is virtually no school in which your personal statement will overcome your numbers. But if you're applying as a URM for the PT program, then you should get a good amount of aid, relative to what they give out for PT.

bizchick05

Postby bizchick05 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Good to know!

Thank you for being so helpful!

Return to “Law School FAQ”