Help! Impending deadline for Grading Option Choice

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hundredyears

Help! Impending deadline for Grading Option Choice

Postby hundredyears » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:25 am

I have until tomorrow to decide whether to take a class for a letter grade or Pass/Fail. My GPA at this point (two semesters into undergrad) is such that anything lower than an A will cause a dip, and I'm looking at probably a B+, at best, in this class. The rest of my course load is relatively straightforward for the remaining semesters and I'm not anticipating any other classes being particularly problematic during my time here. Will top law schools particularly gripe at a single class being taken Pass/Fail? Will I have a chance to explain why there are two other Pass/Fail grades on my transcript (from a class taken during freshman year that was only offered Pass/Fail and a similar research seminar)?

Please let me know! Much appreciated!

Golden Bear 11

Re: Help! Impending deadline for Grading Option Choice

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:32 am

If you think it will lower your GPA, take it P/Fail. Just don't fail. It won't matter. All that counts is your LSAC GPA. I took two classes P/F and two seminars that were only offered P/F. Didn't explain the P/Fs on my apps and got into multiple T14s.

Four Ten

Postby Four Ten » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:34 am

hundredyears wrote:I have until tomorrow to decide whether to take a class for a letter grade or Pass/Fail. My GPA at this point (two semesters into undergrad) is such that anything lower than an A will cause a dip, and I'm looking at probably a B+, at best, in this class.

Subtle way of saying you have straight A's so far? :lol:

I think you could probably attach an addendum to your law school app explaining that your other classes were only offered pass/fail, if you're worried about what they will think. Honestly, I tend to believe that adcomms really only care about a high reportable GPA, but that's the cynical view.

Golden Bear 11

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:37 am

Four Ten wrote:Honestly, I tend to believe that adcomms really only care about a high reportable GPA

+1 (unless you're going for Y or S??)

Four Ten

Postby Four Ten » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:44 am

Golden Bear 11 wrote:
Four Ten wrote:Honestly, I tend to believe that adcomms really only care about a high reportable GPA

+1 (unless you're going for Y or S??)

Not sure why it wouldn't apply to those schools as well. I think a high GPA coupled with a high LSAT is a great way of getting into any law school. :P

hundredyears

Postby hundredyears » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:40 am

Four Ten wrote:Subtle way of saying you have straight A's so far? :lol:

Not quite! But, bump! Would love to get another few opinions before I chart the course for the rest of my semester.

Postby 2014 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Four Ten wrote:
hundredyears wrote:I have until tomorrow to decide whether to take a class for a letter grade or Pass/Fail. My GPA at this point (two semesters into undergrad) is such that anything lower than an A will cause a dip, and I'm looking at probably a B+, at best, in this class.

Subtle way of saying you have straight A's so far? :lol:

To be fair his GPA could be as low as a 3.31 and anything lower than some sort of A would cause a dip :P

Return to “Law School FAQ”