hare-brained scheme to get off UVA waiting list

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Puffin

Re: hare-brained scheme to get off UVA waiting list

Postby Puffin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Wormfather wrote:I know you meant well but you just jumped into the snakepit, its a loving snakepit, but a pit nonetheless.

Retake or /endthread

OR

Break your marital vows by seducing an adcom...but dont let the C&F Board catch wind because they are far less attractive on average and would be expecting the same treatment.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SumStalwart

Postby SumStalwart » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:43 pm

Hey samn,

Do you like to fish? Sorry, it's the name.

Anyway, is there any way that you could do both? I mean, I actually think that the LOCI with the continued work could be beneficial. Judging by your GPA, I would guess that you are a "hard worker." If that stands true, I think that you could stand to benefit by doing both. I am not sure how much a masters in philosophy would benefit you, with respect to a legal career... Then again, I am also a 0L xD.

The other members of TLS are right, though, retaking the LSAT will give you the best edge. Even if you go up by 3 points (which is statistically likely), your chances improve exponentially-- you go from lower than their 25% to their 25%. If you go up by more than 3, your chances will increase even more. 2 months of dedicated studying can and will improve your score. The sacrifice that you and your family makes for the next few months will more than be compensated in the future.

samn

Postby samn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:47 am

Thanks for the advice, SumStalwart. I actually am considering doing both. Probably not at the same time, though, because I want to devote my full attention to the LSAT. The December LSAT is on December 1, and the submission deadline for the conference I want to enter is January 11. So I might be able to do both... however, thanks to everyone's advice, I'm thinking of the paper more as something I will do for fun, rather than as a ploy to get off the UVA waitlist (although I'm still not completely convinced that it won't help at all...).

I have a few more questions, but let me know if I should just start a new thread!

Is there any way that taking the February LSAT could help me get scholarships? That would give me more time to study (which I think is needed). Or does it gotta be December unless I want to reapply again next year? (I don't.) Also, I just got a nice fellowship and scholarship from William and Mary. Could a scholarship that I already got increase if I get a higher score on the December (or February?) LSAT?

And another small set of questions: If I do improve my score significantly, and Virginia takes me off the wait list, is there a chance they would give me scholarships so late in the game? Would it be better to go to W&M with a hefty scholarship or Virginia at close to sticker?

I have reasons for not wanting to wait until next year to go, and I can explain them, but for the sake of brevity, please just assume they are good reasons! And, also: I really do want to be a lawyer, so please don't say "wait 'til next year or don't go." (Plus, I can evaluate on my own whether I want to wait til next year once all the facts are in.) I am almost certainly retaking the LSAT, so I'm not just wimping out.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:56 am

samn wrote:Is there any way that taking the February LSAT could help me get scholarships? That would give me more time to study (which I think is needed). Or does it gotta be December unless I want to reapply again next year? (I don't.) Also, I just got a nice fellowship and scholarship from William and Mary. Could a scholarship that I already got increase if I get a higher score on the December (or February?) LSAT?

A lot of schools don't accept the Feb LSAT for admissions purposes, BUT, they will definitely take it into consideration if you get a higher score on Feb than you do December. That could certainly get you off waitlists, and often with money.

And another small set of questions: If I do improve my score significantly, and Virginia takes me off the wait list, is there a chance they would give me scholarships so late in the game? Would it be better to go to W&M with a hefty scholarship or Virginia at close to sticker?

Not sure about UVA, you might have to go from a sub-170 score to a above-170 score to even make that an option. As far as the W&M vs. UVA, it's basically risk analysis here. Would you rather have a 66% chance or so of getting biglaw with tons of debt, or a 10% chance of getting biglaw with little debt?

I have reasons for not wanting to wait until next year to go, and I can explain them, but for the sake of brevity, please just assume they are good reasons!

There might be some really good reasons to sit out, though, too. Emotionally, keep sitting out a year on the table so you don't get pressured into making a bad choice. Think about it -- you might really need a car, but if you go to the car dealership with that mindset...

WhiskeynCoke

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:46 am

1. Withdraw from ED at UVA (you can do this if they WL you, right?)
2. Retake LSAT, get 170+
3. Blanket T14 and accept the best scholly $$$ you get offered.

With a 3.9+ you have absolutely no excuse to attend law school with your current LSAT score. Why burden your family with a $200,000 debt, to attend the type of school that would accept a 162 (poor job prospects)? If you retake and improve a few points, you will literally profit hundreds of thousands of dollars AND get into better schools. Don't blindly sink yourself and your family in debt without thinking.

You owe it to your family to retake or not attend law school. Spend that 200k on a house. At least you can discharge that debt in bankruptcy / have equity in the house / have a place to live.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:37 pm

samn wrote:Thanks for the advice, all. As someone with a young family, I'm not sure that I'm up for buying a $300 raffle ticket (that is how much the LSAT costs, right? I don't remember). Even if I improve my score by 8 points (statistically unlikely), I'm still not sure that UVA will take anyone off the waitlist at all... still thinking, though. This is good food for thought, especially the prospect of getting scholarship $$$ to UVA. I've been accepted to William and Mary already and anticipate getting into Washington and Lee. I don't really want to work in biglaw...

Does anyone know what kind of score I'd have to make to have a chance?

how is it statistically unlikely to improve by 8 points, lol

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:41 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Retake the LSAT.

This is the only scheme you should consider, hare-brained or no.

+1.

Return to “Law School FAQ”