Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby rad lulz » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:35 pm

You're not that good with analogies, are you. They should have kept those on the SATs.

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:46 pm

.
Last edited by RodneyBoonfield on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
L’Étranger
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:27 am

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby L’Étranger » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:08 pm

When I read the OP a couple of days ago I thought it was so goofy that it was a flame, but the issue being argued on the previous page was interesting.

As I understand it, the issue being debated is: Do 0Ls posses the ability to give valid career advice on these threads?

My feeling is that although I personally don't know a ton about the ins-and-outs of the legal market and firm life as a 2L, I definitely now know a great deal more than I did as a 0L. That plus the fact that people who read these threads often can't easily tell how much a poster really knows about what they're talking about, would lead me to agree with the policy that 0Ls should not be posting on employment threads or giving career advice on TLS.

TLDR: I would say to 0Ls, wait one more year (or a few more months for some) and then you all can post misleading and poorly informed advice on here with the rest of us! :D

User avatar
Chickensoup
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby Chickensoup » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:55 am

rad lulz wrote:You're not that good with analogies, are you. They should have kept those on the SATs.


You're not that good with grammar, are you? Good thing lawyers don't do any work that requires writing arguments.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:34 am

Chickensoup wrote:I've worked closely with established lawyers who were graduates of Harvard, Cornell, and Rutgers. They all argued frequently (while discussing their cases), they all read and summarized countless pages of boring shit, and they all were not miserable. Sooooooo....

In my experience, the "conventional wisdom" of TLS fails again.

Oh, and the Rutgers grad actually made a lot more than the Cornell grad. The Harvard grad was the boss of both of them, though.


What was the "conventional wisdom" of TLS? That "loving to argue" and not minding reading a lot of boring shit is not the best reason to want to be a lawyer? I'm not sure that is TLS conventional wisdom, but I don't mind supporting that proposition. There's way better reasons than those for wanting to be a lawyer. I don't think I'd go as far as radlaw in saying people who like to argue make shitty lawyers, but I will say that those people are generally more annoying to be around, whether they're law students or lawyers. (Though there is something to be said about the ability to compartmentalize traits--a person can really be great at making legal arguments and really enjoy doing it, and not have a more argumentative-type of personality in his normal life.)

And, for the record, no one gives a shit about your 0L experience in a law firm. TLS has enough 1) people already working in biglaw and 2) law students with summer experience in biglaw. Dropping your nuggets of wisdom about what it's like to be a lawyer is unnecessary.

mbuckner
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby mbuckner » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:37 am

rad lulz wrote:
John Mill wrote:
To clarify a bit, I've wanted to be a lawyer for a long time. I love to debate and argue, and I've really taken to my Philosophy classes,


If this is what you've enjoyed in school, you're going to hate being a lawyer.


You are easily the most irritating poster on this site. You're tacky and I hate you.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby gaud » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:37 am

Chickensoup wrote:
rad lulz wrote:You're not that good with analogies, are you. They should have kept those on the SATs.


You're not that good with grammar, are you? Good thing lawyers don't do any work that requires writing arguments.


Image

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:59 am

Chickensoup wrote:
rad lulz wrote:You're not that good with analogies, are you. They should have kept those on the SATs.


You're not that good with grammar, are you? Good thing lawyers don't do any work that requires writing arguments.

Oh deary dear, if only there were some sort of process in law firms to proof grammar! But I am sure you'd know about any such processes or mechanisms, if they existed, oh wise 0L law firm summer intern.

User avatar
Chickensoup
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby Chickensoup » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:05 am

mbuckner wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
John Mill wrote:
To clarify a bit, I've wanted to be a lawyer for a long time. I love to debate and argue, and I've really taken to my Philosophy classes,


If this is what you've enjoyed in school, you're going to hate being a lawyer.


You are easily the most irritating poster on this site. You're tacky and I hate you.


Yes rad lulz sucks. He has always sucked and he will continue to suck for some time. Soon, however, the ignominy of striking out at OCI at his TTT will put him in his place and he will live out the rest of his life from his mother's basement, eating moonpies and watching marathons of Thunder Cats.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby bk1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:08 am

1. Everyone chill the fuck out.

2. Working in a law firm as a 0L doesn't give you magical insight.

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby Davidbentley » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:10 am

Chickensoup wrote:
mbuckner wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
John Mill wrote:
To clarify a bit, I've wanted to be a lawyer for a long time. I love to debate and argue, and I've really taken to my Philosophy classes,


If this is what you've enjoyed in school, you're going to hate being a lawyer.


You are easily the most irritating poster on this site. You're tacky and I hate you.


Yes rad lulz sucks. He has always sucked and he will continue to suck for some time. Soon, however, the ignominy of striking out at OCI at his TTT will put him in his place and he will live out the rest of his life from his mother's basement, eating moonpies and watching marathons of Thunder Cats.


Image

User avatar
John Mill
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:21 am

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby John Mill » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:25 am

Jeez I didn't think that would spout a two page flame fest. When I said I liked to argue I was only brought it up because Iv'e read that arguing or debating a lot gives you an analytical frame of mind, and that's a kind of thought process that serves you well in law school, and as a lawyer. I know that actual argument skills rarely come up in corporate law.

RodneyBoonfield wrote:You're engaged as a freshman in college? You're probably missing out on lots of tail.


Im actually 22, I took a four year break after high school. I know its still a tad young, but I got laid enough in high school and afterwards tbh, I'm happy with my choices.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby dingbat » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:11 am

Chickensoup wrote:a brief is... a summary of an argument
no, a brief is the argument, in written form (close, but no cigar)
Chickensoup wrote:Yes rad lulz sucks. He has always sucked and he will continue to suck for some time. Soon, however, the ignominy of striking out at OCI at his TTT will put him in his place and he will live out the rest of his life from his mother's basement, eating moonpies and watching marathons of Thunder Cats.
It's a little late for that, he's already had a successful summer, and his school isn't exactly a TTT, but I digress
John Mill wrote: Iv'e read that arguing or debating a lot gives you an analytical frame of mind, and that's a kind of thought process that serves you well in law school, and as a lawyer
That depends on whether you're arguing for argument's sake and being an obstinate douche about it, or if you're having fierce discussions with someone of similar disposition but alternate view and you learn from it
John Mill wrote:Im actually 22, I took a four year break after high school. I know its still a tad young, but I got laid enough in high school and afterwards tbh, I'm happy with my choices.
whatever works for you. Sounds like you're a matureexperienced 22, and I hope you have a wonderful life
Last edited by dingbat on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
John Mill
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:21 am

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby John Mill » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:53 am

dingbat wrote: That depends on whether you're arguing for argument's sake and being an obstinate douche about it, or if you're having fierce discussions with someone of similar disposition but alternate view and you learn from it


I think argument may have been a bad word. I never look for arguments, in fact I try my best to avoid them for the most part. I do enjoy having a good debate with somebody, especially if its something we both know enough about that somebody winds up learning something or rethinking their view.

In terms of actual arguments, no, Im not that much of an argumentative person, Im pretty easy to get along with.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:01 am

If there were a remote chance in hell that I'd get laid from it, I'd white knight rad right now.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby romothesavior » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:53 pm

There is nothing better than a college sophomore with an internship at the local DUI shop telling a community full of law students and practicing attorneys how they don't know anything. For far too long we have allowed law students with lawyer dads who worked in biglaw this past summer to tell us what law is like. Your rein of ignorance is over, Rad lulz. I, for one, welcome Chickenshit to our forum. I eagerly anticipate being enlightened by his insights.

User avatar
hume85
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby hume85 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:There is nothing better than a college sophomore with an internship at the local DUI shop telling a community full of law students and practicing attorneys how they don't know anything. For far too long we have allowed law students with lawyer dads who worked in biglaw this past summer to tell us what law is like. Your rein of ignorance is over, Rad lulz. I, for one, welcome Chickenshit to our forum. I eagerly anticipate being enlightened by his insights.


LOL. You are one of the most consistently funny people on TLS. And Ron Burgundy is beyond legendary.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:17 pm

Chickensoup wrote:Who cares that I'm a 0L?

Actually, they care that you're a clueless 0L. The TLS term for posters like you is "clueless 0L", for obvious reasons.

Also, lol @ romo.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby rad lulz » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:There is nothing better than a college sophomore with an internship at the local DUI shop telling a community full of law students and practicing attorneys how they don't know anything. For far too long we have allowed law students with lawyer dads who worked in biglaw this past summer to tell us what law is like. Your rein of ignorance is over, Rad lulz. I, for one, welcome Chickenshit to our forum. I eagerly anticipate being enlightened by his insights.

Credited bro.

I did dece in LRW, but I would have done better if I just wrote some more summaries. That was my problem.

afitouri
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby afitouri » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:08 am

EvilClinton wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:I've worked closely with established lawyers who were graduates of Harvard, Cornell, and Rutgers. They all argued frequently (while discussing their cases), they all read and summarized countless pages of boring shit, and they all were not miserable. Sooooooo....

In my experience, the "conventional wisdom" of TLS fails again.

Oh, and the Rutgers grad actually made a lot more than the Cornell grad. The Harvard grad was the boss of both of them, though.

Honestly your 0L experiences really don't carry much weight on this forum. I would refrain from giving advice in the Law School or Employment Forums until you enter law school and complete at least a summer at a large firm.



All of you are speaking in negatives while he was the only one speaking in positives. If you know what being a lawyer is like, then describe it accurately. Don't come and claim his description is inaccurate while offering no evidence that you yourself understand it.

User avatar
EvilClinton
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby EvilClinton » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:39 am

afitouri wrote:All of you are speaking in negatives while he was the only one speaking in positives. If you know what being a lawyer is like, then describe it accurately. Don't come and claim his description is inaccurate while offering no evidence that you yourself understand it.


LOL that is not how it works. Should we just take everyone's description because they once knew or worked with a lawyer? The whole point of our admonishment was that his perspective of lawyers before going to law school was not relevant to this forum.

User avatar
John Mill
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:21 am

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby John Mill » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:44 am

All of it just spawned because of a misunderstanding. When I talked about arguing and philosophy I was saying that in reference to an analytical mind set set that debating gives you, and the ability to read, summarize, and analyze long difficult documents that philosophy gives you. Some people thought I was saying that there is a lot of argument and philisophical thinking as a lawyer, which is a common misconception, especially about corporate law, so I don't blame people for setting strait what they thought was a wrong opinion. It may have seemed negative, but considering how many people fall into the law school dept trap because of misconceptions of what law really is like, its better that they should be vigilant for people who don't know what their getting themselves in to. If anything I would have been being done a service by being shot down, if indeed that really was what I thought the practice of law was like.

Of course everybody has an opinion, but the opinion of a 0L should never count as much as those who have actually been through law school and/or are practicing lawyers. Chicken Soup obviously you have a better perspective than those who have never even worked around lawyers, but watching a lawyer go over a brief, and actually being trained to go over briefs are two very different things. It might appear one way to you, but you are still lacking the perspective of actually being trained to recognize what a brief is, and how to analyze it.

Your main point is that lawyers argue, because you've seen them argue over briefs. But anybody, in any kind of business argues like that. Doctors argue over what the best treatment for a patient is, businessmen argue over what the best ways to spend their companies money might be, generals argue over what the best military strategy is. So yes lawyers do argue, but its not a skill that's unique to their craft, except in certain types of law where you actually appear in court every day, which I already said I wasn't interested in.

So you might be technically right, but in this situation you should have backed off and let the majority of people with a more experienced perspective prevail. Especially since this is a site where people come for advice that could change their entire future, and may subconsciously want to grasp on to your more optimistic view, rather than change the career path they have had their hearts set on.

User avatar
tyler.durden
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby tyler.durden » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:08 am

This is very entertaining :)

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Job Prospects Out of T14 Schools?

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:31 am

Chickensoup wrote:
mbuckner wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
If this is what you've enjoyed in school, you're going to hate being a lawyer.


You are easily the most irritating poster on this site. You're tacky and I hate you.


Yes rad lulz sucks. He has always sucked and he will continue to suck for some time. Soon, however, the ignominy of striking out at OCI at his TTT will put him in his place and he will live out the rest of his life from his mother's basement, eating moonpies and watching marathons of Thunder Cats.


I'm not commenting on whether Rad sucks or not, but to be honest you're fighting a losing battle for a couple of reasons.

1) You are at a knowledge disadvantage to most people on here. I know that sucks but it's the truth.

2) Many people on here are jerks. They have a few internet friends and they like to gang up on 0L's and tell them how stupid they are. I know that sucks but it's the truth.

But there is a silver lining. You can stop it by just not feeding them. You made your point. No reason to keep this senseless "battle" going on.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests