'Attorney' vs. 'Lawyer' Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
bdm261

Bronze

'Attorney' vs. 'Lawyer'

Post by bdm261 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Really dumb question but are the terms "lawyer" and "attorney" interchangeable? Does one word mean one thing and the other mean something else? I know they have "barristers" and "solicitors" in England as the term and do those describe two different capacities if I'm correct? Is it the same here?

Lastly, what is an Esquire? Why do some attorneys choose to sign their name as Joe Lawyer, Esq. and others use Joe Lawyer, J.D., or Joe Lawyer, P.A. (which I assume means "practicing attorney")?

Diamond

Re: 'Attorney' vs. 'Lawyer'

Post by 09042014 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Lawyer and attorney are synonyms.

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Lawyer refers to your training whereas attorney refers to your ability to practice before a particular jurisdiction. Esquire is a meaningless title that I believe was formerly given by the English monarchy but it now given to anyone willing to subject themselves to law school. PA is not the title of a person, but rather the entity-the firm.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:36 pm

exitoptions wrote:Lawyer refers to your training whereas attorney refers to your ability to practice before a particular jurisdiction.
That doesn't sound right but I don't know enough to dispute it.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:05 am

exitoptions wrote:Lawyer refers to your training whereas attorney refers to your ability to practice before a particular jurisdiction. Esquire is a meaningless title that I believe was formerly given by the English monarchy but it now given to anyone willing to subject themselves to law school. PA is not the title of a person, but rather the entity-the firm.
This is similar to what I've read. If you refer to someone as an "attorney," it implies that they have some explicit power of attorney. The etymology descends from Latin through old French for "one appointed." And the implication is that we're talking about someone appointed to represent someone else's interests. So that's the subtext. A "lawyer," by contrast, is just someone who "laws." Just generally.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:15 am

bdm261 wrote:Really dumb question but are the terms "lawyer" and "attorney" interchangeable? Does one word mean one thing and the other mean something else? I know they have "barristers" and "solicitors" in England as the term and do those describe two different capacities if I'm correct? Is it the same here?

Lastly, what is an Esquire? Why do some attorneys choose to sign their name as Joe Lawyer, Esq. and others use Joe Lawyer, J.D., or Joe Lawyer, P.A. (which I assume means "practicing attorney")?
check this website for the different between attorney and lawyer.

http://www.thelawinsider.com/insider-ti ... -a-lawyer/

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:07 am

No, attorney and lawyer are synonyms.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:59 am

Swimp wrote:This is similar to what I've read. If you refer to someone as an "attorney," it implies that they have some explicit power of attorney. The etymology descends from Latin through old French for "one appointed." And the implication is that we're talking about someone appointed to represent someone else's interests.
I think there's something true about this. "Attorney" does have a specific usage that isn't really synonymous with "lawyer", referring to representation of a specific client or entity. You see this in specific terms of art like "power of attorney", "district attorney" and "attorney general". It's used in that context for saying the person is a legal representative of a particular somebody.

However, in the United States there's no formal legal distinction between the two terms, and since nearly all practicing lawyers represent somebody, the words have become synonyms in their everyday usage. You wouldn't say "power of lawyer", but you can interchangeably say "he's our lawyer" and "he's our attorney".

Also:
Swimp wrote:So that's the subtext. A "lawyer," by contrast, is just someone who "laws." Just generally.
Lol wtf. Really, "someone who laws", from somebody who cites etymology?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Garner's Dictionary of Modern Legal Usage says: "In the US, attorney, Attorney at Law, and lawyer are generally viewed as synonyms. . . . From the fact that an attorney is really an agent, [one authority] deduces that 'a lawyer is an attorney only when he has a client. . . .' Yet this distinction between lawyer and attorney is rarely, if ever, observed in practice."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

breadbucket

Bronze

Post by breadbucket » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:57 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:No, attorney and lawyer are synonyms.
That's right, just kick open the saloon door, waltz right on in here, ignore all the posts around you and just order a tall of smart ass over at the bar.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:23 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Swimp wrote:So that's the subtext. A "lawyer," by contrast, is just someone who "laws." Just generally.
Lol wtf. Really, "someone who laws", from somebody who cites etymology?
Haha, I was being flip, but come on, it's not so ridiculous. A sawyer saws, a bowyer makes bows, a clothier makes clothes. -yer and -ier suffixes all come from old French and indicate profession. It's like saying "That guy's job has to do with X."

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Swimp wrote:Haha, I was being flip, but come on, it's not so ridiculous. A sawyer saws, a bowyer makes bows, a clothier makes clothes. -yer and -ier suffixes all come from old French and indicate profession. It's like saying "That guy's job has to do with X."
You wouldn't say a bowyer is "someone who bows".

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:27 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Swimp wrote:Haha, I was being flip, but come on, it's not so ridiculous. A sawyer saws, a bowyer makes bows, a clothier makes clothes. -yer and -ier suffixes all come from old French and indicate profession. It's like saying "That guy's job has to do with X."
You wouldn't say a bowyer is "someone who bows".
But that's essentially what's communicated by the morpheme.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:31 pm

The attorney lawyer distinction is explained here in this 30 second clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFb1VT0nPqo

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:39 pm

bdm261 wrote:Lastly, what is an Esquire? Why do some attorneys choose to sign their name as Joe Lawyer, Esq. and others use Joe Lawyer, J.D., or Joe Lawyer, P.A. (which I assume means "practicing attorney")?
In England, Esquire is a (minor) title of nobility, just below that of knight, generally one that you received by birth (being the younger son of certain nobles, the eldest son of a knight, or the eldest son of an esquire)
It was also bestowed on a justice of the peace.

IMO using the styling Esquire (or Esq) without being born an esquire (or having been given the title) you're a douche

MachineLemon

Bronze

Post by MachineLemon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:01 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:No, attorney and lawyer are synonyms.
WVO Quine, call your office.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Swimp wrote:But that's essentially what's communicated by the morpheme.
I feel stupid having to explain this to someone who can use the word "morpheme", but the word "bow" is not a verb that means "to make bows", and the word "law" is not a verb that means "to make laws". The phrases "someone who bows" and "someone who laws" are gibberish because they combine words in a way that does not match their known meanings, and as such, saying they are what something which has an articulatable meaning communicates is ridiculous.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:20 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Swimp wrote:But that's essentially what's communicated by the morpheme.
I feel stupid having to explain this to someone who can use the word "morpheme", but the word "bow" is not a verb that means "to make bows", and the word "law" is not a verb that means "to make laws". The phrases "someone who bows" and "someone who laws" are gibberish because they combine words in a way that does not match their known meanings, and as such, saying they are what something which has an articulatable meaning communicates is ridiculous.
Well, look, if you don't like my analogy, that's fine, but I think you're selling yourself short when you say that what I wrote was total incomprehensible gibberish. The reason I even chimed in was because understanding the structure of the words in question helps me remember their differences. So, to flesh out the shorthand I used above:

Attorney = someone appointed to represent the interests of some other entity
Lawyer = somebody whose tool is law

Broad strokes.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:34 pm

Swimp wrote:So, to flesh out the shorthand I used above:

Broad strokes.
That distinction is archaic.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Bronte wrote:
Swimp wrote:So, to flesh out the shorthand I used above:

Broad strokes.
That distinction is archaic.
Well if someone asks "Hey, why do we have two words, 'attorney' and 'lawyer,' that seem to mean exactly the same thing?" And you're satisfied with the answer "I dunno," then we're just interested in different things, I guess.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Swimp wrote:
Bronte wrote:That distinction is archaic.
Well if someone asks "Hey, why do we have two words, 'attorney' and 'lawyer,' that seem to mean exactly the same thing?" And you're satisfied with the answer "I dunno," then we're just interested in different things, I guess.
The question is not "why do we have two words, 'attorney' and 'lawyer'?" The question is "are the terms 'lawyer' and 'attorney' interchangeable?" The answer is, yes, in modern American English and legal usage, the terms are synonyms. If you need to make a distinction between attorney as agent and attorney as legal practitioner, these words aren't going to do it for you. And, yeah, that's pretty much where my interest ends.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Bronte wrote:
Swimp wrote:
The question is not "why do we have two words, 'attorney' and 'lawyer'?" The question is "are the terms 'lawyer' and 'attorney' interchangeable?" The answer is, yes, in modern American English and legal usage, the terms are synonyms. If you need to make a distinction between attorney as agent and attorney as legal practitioner, these words aren't going to do it for you. And, yeah, that's pretty much where my interest ends.
They are used interchangibly by people who do not know better. Just like "home loan" and "mortgage" are used by lay people. I'll be a lawyer until I die; I hope I'm not an attorney that long...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:57 pm

exitoptions wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Swimp wrote:
They are used interchangibly by people who do not know better. Just like "home loan" and "mortgage" are used by lay people. I'll be a lawyer until I die; I hope I'm not an attorney that long...
Steven Lubet, the Williams Professor of Law at Northwestern Law School wrote:For what it’s worth, the lawyer/attorney distinction is folklore. The terms are synonymous in American English and you may not hold yourself out as either unless you are admitted to practice somewhere.
http://abovethelaw.com/2009/07/lawyer-v ... ifference/

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:09 pm

exitoptions wrote:They are used interchangibly by people who do not know better. Just like "home loan" and "mortgage" are used by lay people. I'll be a lawyer until I die; I hope I'm not an attorney that long...
On the contrary, very knowledgeable people use them interchangeably, including the foremost authority on legal usage, Bryan Garner, who is the editor of Black's Law Dictionary, the author of Garner's Modern American Usage and Garner's Dictionary on Legal Usage, and a contributor to the Chicago Manual of Style. He is aware of the purported distinction between the terms and rejects it.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:32 pm

MarcusAurelius wrote:The attorney lawyer distinction is explained here in this 30 second clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFb1VT0nPqo
A+ avatar

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”