Why so many people apply/attend LS if jobs are so rare?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
scifiguy

Why so many people apply/attend LS if jobs are so rare?

Postby scifiguy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:03 am

Just curious after reading how few good legal jobs there are? Why do so many people go to law school then?

justonemoregame

Re: Why so many people apply/attend LS if jobs are so rare?

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:12 am

family/cultural bias, don't want to work a shitty restaurant job, ignorance, because it's their "calling" (not making that one up)

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:54 am

They've been lied to for years by school manipulating employment statistics and salary medians. They trust people that have proven to be untrustworthy. And this includes top schools who for years ( and until last year)didn't disclose they hired students on fellowships to boost employment numbers.

Their boomer parents, pre-law advisers and other people think that law is like it was 30 years ago.

They know of someone who went to a TTT and is successful. They think they will beat the odds like that person.

They have a liberal arts degree and think they have no other options.

They assume that if the degree wasn't worth it, they couldn't get loans to attend. They have no understanding of non- dischargable debt. Also, they think that because it is really expensive it must be worth it.

They think law is a path to wealth. One guy posted here not too long ago that he couldn't believe that some lawyers only make $45,000. He had no idea that half of all grads aren't getting jobs.

They think a law degree is versatile, when it actually may limit employability.
Last edited by sunynp on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:06 am

School is easier than work.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:13 am

We're all special snowflakes. Sure, other people aren't getting jobs, but I'm the exception that will!

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:30 pm

In my case, if I didn't go, I would work in retail for less than $30K so there's not much opportunity cost. Even if I don't score biglaw, there's a good chance I'll still find a job that would pay significantly more than that. And if I am one of the minority at my school that can't find a JD-required job after graduation, I'll likely have dat sugar mama to hold me over until I find work ;) So I think it makes sense for me. Plus, I am special snowflake.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:53 pm

scifiguy wrote:Just curious after reading how few good legal jobs there are? Why do so many people go to law school then?

Because each person believes he/she will beat the odds.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:01 pm

In a dream the law gods revealed themselves to me. They said, "go forth, my son, and become a shitlaw shogun." I applied to law school the next day. I guess that makes me pretty special.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:12 am

justonemoregame wrote:family/cultural bias, don't want to work a shitty restaurant job, ignorance, because it's their "calling" (not making that one up)

I feel like this is it more so than anything else. People would rather go $150K into debt so they can walk around in suits and carry a briefcase, rather than work a low-status service job for $25K a year. The illusion has taken over reality.
Last edited by Lovely Ludwig Van on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

rouser

Postby rouser » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:17 am

some people chose their ugrad major/minor at a time when they were almost positive they would go to LS. so this could turn into the lack of a reliable/well-thought-up backup plan case making people feel like they kinda have to go.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:42 am

1) Many people don't realize how bad the legal market is. (This is improving though--note that significant drop in law school applicants for the last cycle.)

2) Special snow flake syndrome: Most people have an optimism bias when it comes to themselves and think they can beat the odds.

There are plenty of other reasons, but these might be two of the biggest.

Skyblaze

Postby Skyblaze » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:56 am

Some people actually want to be lawyers.

Tuco Salamanca

Postby Tuco Salamanca » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:06 am

rouser wrote:some people chose their ugrad major/minor at a time when they were almost positive they would go to LS. so this could turn into the lack of a reliable/well-thought-up backup plan case making people feel like they kinda have to go.

This would be me. I mean, I still want to become a lawyer (I think), but I wouldn't mind having options.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:14 am

masterthearts wrote:
scifiguy wrote:Just curious after reading how few good legal jobs there are? Why do so many people go to law school then?

Because each person believes he/she will beat the odds.

For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2 ... ger_effect

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:24 am

Skyblaze wrote:Some people actually want to be lawyers.

keyword

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:54 am

+1. Plus, there are not many other employee opportunities where you can start at +$125K - $160K and make a lot more in future years. But yes, you take your chances.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:33 am

Across the board there's only a 50/50 shot of that, so I'm gonna go with special snowflake syndrome combined with stupidity.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:41 am

moonman157 wrote:special snowflakes

Postby 04102014 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:11 am

moonman157 wrote:We're all special snowflakes. Sure, other people aren't getting jobs, but I'm the exception that will!

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:16 am

Some people really got fucked by the crash in 2008, leaving some newly-minted BAs with 2 year gaps on their resume. It was just another way to enter the system and get another chance, albeit a very slim chance.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:17 am

What types of schools are we talking about? It seems like most of the T10 schools+Northwestern aren't doing that poorly.

yong1ekim

Postby yong1ekim » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:25 pm

deleted
Last edited by yong1ekim on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renne Walker

Postby Renne Walker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Across the board there's only a 50/50 shot of that, so I'm gonna go with special snowflake syndrome combined with stupidity.

I concur on 50-50 (or less) IF someone rolls the dice outside of the T-14. I am certain there are wonderful schools in Tier-1, just like there are probably wonderful players in the arena league, but in the end, the odds of being a successful special snowflake are significantly limited.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:16 pm

yong1ekim wrote:In addition to 0Ls currently applying,
If some 1/2/3Ls and grads can give us some advice it would be greatly appreciated...

If you recently graduated from law school or are currently attending one of the T14s
but have regrets and have contemplated dropping out, what kind of exit options have
you considered or dreamed of?

Someone once told me that the best time to realize you made a mistake and to start
over is now (when you realize it). I'm 24 right now. I'm in the process of finishing a
process that I considered "the" and "only" option fit for me since senior year of high school.
Through my negligence, I guess I romanticized the idea of graduating from a T14 and finding
a good job, which would validate pursuing a liberal arts degree in college and taking some
time off to study for the LSAT.

But the more and more I read about quality students from T14s striking out at OCIs, look at
the unemployment statistics of recent grads, etc...I find myself in a state of fear/panic/anxiety
each time I look at my apps.

Although my parents insisted probably 6 or so years ago I choose a profession in medicine,
I rejected their proposal with this naive view of what law school and its future job prospects
would be. Now, at 24 1) I'm not sure if I have the courage to tell my parents I'm having my doubts
and I may have made a huge life mistake already 2) I'm not sure if i can even pursue another
career that will ensure a good future for me 3) I'm not sure if I can even consider medicine any more
because that would mean I would basically be doing undergrad over again.

I don't want to feel forced into choosing to go to law school. If I go, I want to go at peace, with the
same passion and focus I had when i decided to go down this track a few years ago. But when I read
so much gloom and doom and hear from current students rethinking the whole thing, i feel like I need
to finally become more of an adult and take charge of the situation right now.

Please, any advice would be great. I don't want to f* up my life if there is a way to rectify this.

A lot of people in this thread are grads or students.

I think you need to talk to your parents. The reality is that law has changed dramatically since you were in high school. They will probably be happy that you came to your senses now instead of later.

You can go back and get a post baccularate degree. You aren't too old.

I'm a grad and I have a job. But I have seen people struggle with their debt after striking out or losing their job. This is why I am so cautious about recommending that people just take on 6 figures of debt.
In the end you have to own your life and do what is best for you- no matter what.

PaulKriske

Postby PaulKriske » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:00 pm

"There's always room at the top."

- Daniel Webster

Return to “Law School FAQ”