Horror Stories

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Bildungsroman

Re: Horror Stories

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:04 am

msblaw89 wrote:If you get into the t14, hit around median, network, and are not disgustingly anti-social....you are going to be fine. Even if you are bottom 1/3 but network and really rock an interview, you will be fine. I'm sick of all the TLS negative Nancy's out there. Do some law school grads end up unemployed? Yes, but probably for a good reason. The majority are still getting decent jobs at the t14.

[one month into law school]

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:20 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:If you get into the t14, hit around median, network, and are not disgustingly anti-social....you are going to be fine. Even if you are bottom 1/3 but network and really rock an interview, you will be fine. I'm sick of all the TLS negative Nancy's out there. Do some law school grads end up unemployed? Yes, but probably for a good reason. The majority are still getting decent jobs at the t14.

She goes to Cornell I think. In 2011 about 25% of that class (per LST) did not have legal jobs after 9 months. They all must be bottom of the class with shit personalities.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:32 am

BruceWayne wrote:You know I'm the first one to start talking about how bad things are in the legal industry, even for students at a top 14. But to be totally honest, when I step back and look at things from a broader perspective it really isn't any worse than it is for the average American right now. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it's better for us than for the average American. Where law starts to look like a nightmare proposition is in comparison to other means to achieve upper middle class stature. But in comparison to the American public at large it's fine. I really don't know of anyone from any top 14 who is not meeting ends meet 2 or 3 years out of school. They may be working 40K yr jobs doing something that they don't particularly like, but that's the worst I've heard of. If your options are that vs. food service or retail you can't really complain about the legal field too much (read my and many other law students options before they attended law school). The problem is more that top 14 schools sell visions of biglaw, bigfed, and awesome PI as being the worst case scenarios. If it wasn't for that and the price it wouldn't even be that big of a deal.

OK this is the other end of the spectrum though. Things are not rosy to this degree, but they aren't calamitous either.

Well put.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

She goes to Cornell I think. In 2011 about 25% of that class (per LST) did not have legal jobs after 9 months. They all must be bottom of the class with shit personalities.

I said MAJORITY not the ENTIRE class....and to your second point you are probably right. Or its possible they did not put in much effort

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:50 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

I said MAJORITY not the ENTIRE class....and to your second point you are probably right. Or its possible they did not put in much effort

The curve is a bitch. And OCI is not nearly as cut-and-dry as law school admissions. But you'll figure that out in a year when you and/or your friends are losing sleep and struggling to secure jobs despite otherwise solid credentials.

Return to “Law School FAQ”