Diversity statement?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Chickensoup

Diversity statement?

Postby Chickensoup » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:32 pm

As a white, middle-class male, what kind of options do I have for the diversity statement?

I studied abroad in London, so I was thinking of writing about how I met all kinds of people from different countries. Also, I am Italian-American, so I guess I am slightly more "diverse" than your average white person. Could I write about that?

Is it a bad idea to not write a diversity statement at all?

vanwinkle

Re: Diversity statement?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:59 pm

You should only write a diversity statement if you know you have actual diversity to add to the school. If you're having to reach for something to write about, that's a sign you might be better off not writing one at all.

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:31 am

Either of the two ideas you listed would come across as (and probably would be) forced, imo.

If you don't have anything to write about, then don't write one. And no, I don't think the absence of a DS will be held against you.

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Unless you have something really unique in your background like military experience (although we veterans are not quite as unique as we once were, we still represent only about 2% of law students) or another somewhat uncommon experience, a white guy trying to play diversity is silly and the AdComms dont appreciate it. ADversity, on the other had, transcends racial and ethnic backgrounds. If you were super poor or living on the streets that would be great. Honestly, unless you are a URM you should put your selling points into a really great basic admission essay. I agree with other that it may be forced. Italian-American doesn't really mean anything. I am Scottish-American which means I am white. You are too. Sorry.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Chickensoup wrote:As a white, middle-class male, what kind of options do I have for the diversity statement?

I studied abroad in London, so I was thinking of writing about how I met all kinds of people from different countries. Also, I am Italian-American, so I guess I am slightly more "diverse" than your average white person. Could I write about that?

Is it a bad idea to not write a diversity statement at all?

I don't believe any of this, shouldn't your username be Minestrone?

But seriously like everyone else said, don't write a forced diversity statement. I wish italian-american counted, I'd be in the money too, but it doesn't.

Return to “Law School FAQ”