Law School "Concentration"

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JDeezy

Law School "Concentration"

Postby JDeezy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks in advance...

While in LS, you can apparently "concentrate" in something like Corporate Law, Public Policy Law, Law & Race, etc...

I'm guessing that this is a pretty informal process and that you don't actually declare a concentration like one would an undergraduate major. I imagine that I would be most interested in the "softer" concentrations (Law & Race, Public Policy, etc) than I would corporate, transactional, etc.

Does this look worse to Law Firms during OCI than a concentration in corporate law?

JDeezy

Re: Law School "Concentration"

Postby JDeezy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:23 am

No intel?

Basically my question is does it matter if you take all corporate law electives vs. all policy law/legal history/etc electives to OCI interviewers? Grades being equal.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:24 am

It's informal as in you choose the courses you want to take. The concentrations are just suggestions of courses in certain areas you might want to take. The grouping matches a certain area of the law. You can use them as a guide to pick your classes.

OCI firms only see your 1L classes. I suppose you can put what you registered for on your transcript, but many (if not most) of us are changing courses during drop/add (after OCI). I don't think firms care much.

JDeezy

Postby JDeezy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:57 am

Got it... forgot that everyone takes the same 1L classes. Thanks.

Return to “Law School FAQ”