Is law school worth it now with the recent price increases?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

How hard is it to get into PittLaw PA?

VERY hard, your credentials must be sublime
60%
Moderately hard, your credentials need to be above average
7%
Average, your credentials need only to be above the minimum
33%

Total votes: 15

fatduck

Re: Is law school worth it now with the recent price increases?

Postby fatduck » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:44 pm

if you've only taken the lsat once and aren't happy with your score, and don't think you studied as effectively as you could, there's nothing wrong with retaking. read through the LSAT prep forum for advice on self-study vs. prep courses, etc. there's a wealth of information on tls about retaking and improving your LSAT score.

in the meantime it wouldn't hurt to apply for jobs and try to get some work experience while you study for your retake.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Tankstar wrote:
fatduck wrote:i got $ at pitt with a 170/2.9. 155 to 170 is a big jump, but probably not impossible.

holy **** really? cause I could always retake it. I know I would do much better the second time, especially if I studied more. I was a bit rushed the first time and was not well prepared, so, I think I could improve my score to at least a 165-170.

I mean it makes sense. pittlaw is a nice school but they are not like harvard or anything. that's part of the reason I have been so on the fence about it. part of me says it's at least worth the application fee just to see what they offer. i read some stuff online for grad/law school loan info and they said I could maybe negotiate some extra money out of the school of my choice if I had offers elsewhere that offered it to me already. with a higher lsat it might be possible to do such a thing. maybe?

i feel like im on a teeter-totter...

I mean, retaking is definitely the right call. Pitt only gives you a bit more than a half and half shot of being an attorney.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Kikero wrote:
Tankstar wrote:did you know chris nolan also played khan in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan? I was not impressed. lol.

wut?

I think he meant Christopher Lloyd played Kruge in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. We all know Ricardo Montalbain played KHAAAAAAAN!

Tankstar

Postby Tankstar » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Kikero wrote:
Tankstar wrote:did you know chris nolan also played khan in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan? I was not impressed. lol.

wut?

Christopher Lloyd*** sorry. No idea why Nolan came to mind. lol

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:48 pm

Icculus wrote:
Kikero wrote:

wut?

I think he meant Christopher Lloyd played Kruge in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. We all know Ricardo Montalbain played KHAAAAAAAN!

Oh ok. Because I'd never even heard of an actor named Chris Nolan, although after searching imdb there apparently is one (although it would be impossible to confuse him with Montalban).

/off-topic

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:49 pm

fatduck wrote:if you've only taken the lsat once and aren't happy with your score, and don't think you studied as effectively as you could, there's nothing wrong with retaking. read through the LSAT prep forum for advice on self-study vs. prep courses, etc. there's a wealth of information on tls about retaking and improving your LSAT score.

in the meantime it wouldn't hurt to apply for jobs and try to get some work experience while you study for your retake.

Here is a good place to start, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=396

That thread REALLY helped me last year.

Tankstar

Postby Tankstar » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:50 pm

fatduck wrote:if you've only taken the lsat once and aren't happy with your score, and don't think you studied as effectively as you could, there's nothing wrong with retaking. read through the LSAT prep forum for advice on self-study vs. prep courses, etc. there's a wealth of information on tls about retaking and improving your LSAT score.

yea that's true. i will definitely consider it. :)

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Tankstar wrote: Really? Even with free tuition?? :?

I mean, you have to consider you are still giving up 3 years of wages (60-100k?) + still having to pay your cost of living (45-60k) for less than a 50/50 chance at gaining full time long term JD required employment.

@SCB, you are right that its true the stats are not WAAAYYY better. However I still think the statistical difference is worth taking into account. +10% across the board. Also, the jobs are likely slightly better quality and higher paying across the board too.

Drexel
•43.5% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs..
•64.1% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•64.1% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.

Pitt
•54.2% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes no school-funded jobs..
•75.5% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
•72.7% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.
Last edited by Nova on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tankstar

Postby Tankstar » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Nova wrote:

Here is a good place to start, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=396

That thread REALLY helped me last year.

awesome! tyvm :)

jeffyl00b

Postby jeffyl00b » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Nova wrote:
Tankstar wrote:I might sound very foolish in saying this, but, I want to stay in PA to get the in state savings since I am a resident here/there. That's why I want to go to pittlaw so bad because they are public and lower their tuition costs for in state dudes like me. But, I would not mind going to a lower tier law school as long as they give me a law degree. If I could manage to keep the costs below 90-100k then I would be pretty happy. This, however, could hurt me in the long run because what if no one would hire me? Have lawyers ever free-lanced successfully? lol jk jk. I just imagined me in a dirty suit on the side of the road holding a sign that said "will represent for food." Not a pretty sight.

You are right. I guess I just have to aim high or not aim at all? :(

90k for a degree worse than Pitt/Nova/PSU/Temple degree is really over paying.

Job prospects below the T2 Penn schools really suck. They are not worth 3 years of your life, even with free tuition.

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

This is why I like to lurk here sometimes. I'm guaranteed one funny per day.

I saw another thread a few weeks ago about the 50% of law grads on average get a job.
Newspaper today says only 53% of college students get a job.

I see no one warning everyone to never bother with college, even if it's free.

Very suspect.

BTW, those numbers are better than the general population.

Anyone whose cost of living is 60,000 dollars without even going to school needs to reevaluate their personal budget and lifestyle before...you know as well.
Last edited by jeffyl00b on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:06 pm

jeffyl00b wrote:
Nova wrote:
Tankstar wrote:I might sound very foolish in saying this, but, I want to stay in PA to get the in state savings since I am a resident here/there. That's why I want to go to pittlaw so bad because they are public and lower their tuition costs for in state dudes like me. But, I would not mind going to a lower tier law school as long as they give me a law degree. If I could manage to keep the costs below 90-100k then I would be pretty happy. This, however, could hurt me in the long run because what if no one would hire me? Have lawyers ever free-lanced successfully? lol jk jk. I just imagined me in a dirty suit on the side of the road holding a sign that said "will represent for food." Not a pretty sight.

Job prospects below the T2 Penn schools really suck. They are not worth 3 years of your life, even with free tuition.

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

I saw another thread a few weeks ago about the 50% of law grads on average get a job.

Very suspect.

did we hit 48% unemployment this month? obama will not be pleased.

jeffyl00b

Postby jeffyl00b » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:08 pm

fatduck wrote:
jeffyl00b wrote:
Nova wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Very suspect.

did we hit 48% unemployment this month? obama will not be pleased.

41% unemployment rate for young black males at current. Is that what you are referring too?

littlebit

Postby littlebit » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Do you really want to be a lawyer? If so, do not graduate in December. Continue to take classes and get your GPA up while you study for the LSAT. Until you graduate all classes count toward that GPA.

Return to “Law School FAQ”