Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sp_crowell
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby sp_crowell » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Does anybody know how much of a difference two undergraduate degrees make when applying to law schools? I am a sophomore right now and I'm bilingual and have solid extracuriculars including study abroad, volunteering, etc. but I can graduate a year early with a CJ major and a Spanish minor. Or I could stay all four years and have a CJ major with a general studies minor and a Spanish major with a history or English minor. I know CJ doesn't exactly prepare me super well for law school but I want other options in case I decide law school isn't for me.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby dingbat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Little to none - it's a tiebreaker if they need to choose between you and someone else with the same numbers

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:53 pm

2 degrees and/or majors won't matter. You seem to mean two majors, not two degrees. Your LSAC GPA will be calculated as of the issuance of your first degree. Purely for law school you would want to graduate whenever your GPA was highest. However there are other factors to consider for when to graduate such as the cost of an extra year, wanting to chill and party for an extra year, etc.

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby KibblesAndVick » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:58 pm

You should stay for four years because college is awesome. Real life sucks. So does law school. Unless you're paying for college yourself graduating early is a horrible life decision.

sp_crowell
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby sp_crowell » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:06 pm

bk1 wrote:2 degrees and/or majors won't matter. You seem to mean two majors, not two degrees. Your LSAC GPA will be calculated as of the issuance of your first degree. Purely for law school you would want to graduate whenever your GPA was highest. However there are other factors to consider for when to graduate such as the cost of an extra year, wanting to chill and party for an extra year, etc.



I really do mean two degrees. My university won't let me get two majors in Spanish and Criminal justice. It's literraly two diplomas with two separate minors

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:09 pm

dingbat wrote:Little to none - it's a tiebreaker if they need to choose between you and someone else with the same numbers


If the degrees are Spainish and CJ, then it's a tiebreaker you lose.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:10 pm

What kind of steaming piling of shit school gives a minor in "general studies."

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby emkay625 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:26 pm

A few things:

1. LSAC will only calculate your UGPA using the first degree. So don't let the prospect of raising your GPA sway you.
2. Can you afford the extra year of school?
3. From a law school admissions standpoint, I think you're better off just getting the one degree and then using that year to gain some good work experience and study/take the LSAT.

You say you're unsure about law. It's good to be skeptical. Talk to some recent graduates who went to schools with your GPA/LSAT range and see how they're doing and if they like what they're doing now and how they felt about law school.

Also, what are your numbers? That would help us give you better advice.

sp_crowell
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby sp_crowell » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:23 pm

I have a 3.82 GPA and I have a long ways to go till the LSAT but I've tried a couple practices and I've gotten around a 155. I'm studying though because I really want to get a 170. I know that's super hard to get but I'm a good test taker and that's what I'm striving for. And yeah I've talked to all kinds of different law students and lawyers and clerks so I'm getting a pretty solid idea of what the law profession can include

VasaVasori
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm

.

Postby VasaVasori » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:28 pm

.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tigershark
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby tigershark » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:24 am

The difference it would make for your app is negligible. But why CJ? Admissions seems to be less impressed with "legal majors" these days. If you're doing CJ just because you think you might be interested in law school, I would caution you against that.

I think emkay brings up a good point though--you could take the extra year to work and study for the LSAT. However, as others have said, don't be so quick to move through undergrad because working a 9-5 sucks and law school sucks the fun out of your life.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:11 pm

VasaVasori wrote:
emkay625 wrote:1. LSAC will only calculate your UGPA using the first degree. So don't let the prospect of raising your GPA sway you.


I don't think this applies here because he would be obtaining the two degrees simultaneously. Or, if it did, could he just call LSAC and tell them which one to count?


If you get two undergraduate degrees simultaneously (like a BA and BS), they count both. He seems to be talking about two majors, though, which is just one degree. NVM. Just saw that it is two different degrees. My advice remains the same:

Go for whatever gets you the highest GPA.
Last edited by shifty_eyed on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28064
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby Kronk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:What kind of steaming piling of shit school gives a minor in "general studies."



this one does

sp_crowell
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby sp_crowell » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:14 pm

It's a general studies minor in relation to the CJ major, classes such as communications, sociology, psychology and substance abuse. I chose CJ just in case law school wasn't for me but I'm focusing on the Spanish aspect in hopes I can increase my chances at finding a job (either law related or not).

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby rad lulz » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Kronk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:What kind of steaming piling of shit school gives a minor in "general studies."



this one does

Shit beat me to it.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Undergraduate degrees: one or two?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:43 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Kronk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:What kind of steaming piling of shit school gives a minor in "general studies."



this one does

Shit beat me to it.


Stung me bad bros.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests