. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
PriOSky

New

Post by PriOSky » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:47 am

Last edited by PriOSky on Thu May 23, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

clintone88

Bronze

Re: 2nd B.A. in chemistry/physics

Post by clintone88 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Physics would probably be better than chemistry since it's only a bachelors. Especially if you take a lot of classes in semiconductors and electromagnetics. The two years spent would suck, but the cost is really cheap at $3,000.

I would only do it if you like physics. Don't just do it for the easier biglaw job because patent law is not really anything like other types of law if you're doing prosecution. Have you researched what patent law is?

As far as I can tell, it's only easier to "rise up the ranks" with patent law if you're at a smallish boutique, I may be wrong. Work-life balance is probably better because almost all small shops still pay market or close to, and don't work you to death.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Are you deferring at YHS to get this degree or taking classes at night for the next two years to do so?

Followup question: If it's the former, from which school are you getting two years of tuition and living expenses for ~$3000? I mean, even most community colleges are more expensive than that.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Are you talking about patent pros? If you're talking about patent lit this strikes me as not even close to worth it.

expelliarmus

New

Post by expelliarmus » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:13 am

I feel like I would only do it if I am super interested in physics/chemistry.
But if I am only doing it for the patent law job opportunities, it is not worth it.
It is better to go to law school, learn about the job market, before you invest two more years in a bachelor's degree you might not need afterwards.

I am a physics major, but I am not sure if I want to practice patent law, even if I want to go to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:50 am

bk187 wrote:Are you talking about patent pros? If you're talking about patent lit this strikes me as not even close to worth it.
Please elaborate?

I thought lit was easier to get into with chemistry/physics B.A/B.S since pros. required a PhD or an EE, chemE degree.
Or do i have it mixed up?

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:47 am

clintone88 wrote:Physics would probably be better than chemistry since it's only a bachelors. Especially if you take a lot of classes in semiconductors and electromagnetics. The two years spent would suck, but the cost is really cheap at $3,000.

I would only do it if you like physics. Don't just do it for the easier biglaw job because patent law is not really anything like other types of law if you're doing prosecution. Have you researched what patent law is?

As far as I can tell, it's only easier to "rise up the ranks" with patent law if you're at a smallish boutique, I may be wrong. Work-life balance is probably better because almost all small shops still pay market or close to, and don't work you to death.
This this this.

If you want patent prosecution (good pay, but far less hours, though less lucrative in the end), go do physics, and be sure to fit in as many EE/CS classes as you can. If you want litigation, it MAY help to have the science background to get your job, but decent grades from HYS would be much more important.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:37 am

No, on so many levels.

First, patent lit does not have a good quality of life. ITC cases move incredibly fast and require around the clock work. If you are doing district court cases, it is better, but unless you have a genuine love of the subject matter, there is no reason to get a second BA. Many BigLaw firms are moving to a model of hiring non-attorney experts to assist the litigators in these cases, making the science background less necessary.

Second, while patent lit is hot now, there is a sense among many that it is a flavor of the month practice. There is increasing legislative focus on the field and a sense that double dipping between ITC and district courts may come to an end. There will always be hard-core patent work, but the churn and burn work that the BigLaw firms are doing may have a limited shelf life. If you said you wanted to do patent lit and focus on boutiques, that might be a different calculus, but BigLaw is just treating patent lit as a cash cow right now.

Third, you really don't need to worry about getting a BigLaw job coming out of HYS. Unless you completely mess up in grades and follow that up by completely messing up in where you apply, you'll find something.

Fourth, unless you are interested in the minutia of patents, there is far more interesting science and tech work in the legal field and it doesn't require another degree.

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:37 am

TooOld4This wrote:No, on so many levels.

Fourth, unless you are interested in the minutia of patents, there is far more interesting science and tech work in the legal field and it doesn't require another degree.

Care to elaborate? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:32 am

This is in addition to what others have said:

1) If you try hard enough, you'd probably find someone who let you do patent lit. Quinn LA takes anyone from HYS with a pulse and would let you do patent work, hell I think they make you do patent work. Other firms would let you too. You don't get any hiring boost, but you also don't need one.

2) Can you even get a BS in chem/physics in two years? Unless your original degree was in something heavily math or science related you are going to have to take a ton of math/sci gen eds. Typically juniors have Calc 1-3 + Diff EQ + linear Algerbra maybe, Physics Mech, E&M and thermo. Chem 1,2 + ochem.

If you start from scratch it'll take probably 4 years. If you have half of these classes it'll still take 3 years. 3 really hard years.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:15 pm

senorhosh wrote:
bk187 wrote:Are you talking about patent pros? If you're talking about patent lit this strikes me as not even close to worth it.
Please elaborate?

I thought lit was easier to get into with chemistry/physics B.A/B.S since pros. required a PhD or an EE, chemE degree.
Or do i have it mixed up?
Patent prosecution requires passing the patent bar which might be a reason for someone to get a degree. But if you're doing law school, patent prosecution seems meh to me (though others disagree).

Patent lit does not require it, though some firms essentially have an informal requirement of a degree. DF pretty much summed it all up. There are firms that you can do patent lit (e.g. Quinn) where they don't particularly care about your UG degree. OP has an impressive resume and should be able to snag one of these firms. It also seems like a big waste when OP likely can't even be sure he/she will like patent lit and/or not prefer something else over it.

PriOSky

New

Post by PriOSky » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:04 am

Last edited by PriOSky on Thu May 23, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lock74

New

Post by Lock74 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:14 pm

My resume is not near as impressive as the OP but I am in a similar situation with being able to get a second degree for also around 3000. I have also been thinking about getting a second degree for IP but like some people have said it would be extremely hard in two years. If you have two years of almost free school, what is the best way to spend it? My only other option is a MBA but Im not sure if that would help since it is not from a M7 university ( shitty liberal arts school). Would it better to just go ahead and graduate and get some kind of work experience? Sorry for butting in OP but hopefully somebody here can answer my questions. PM for specific details.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”