Economics Major

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
adrusso

Economics Major

Postby adrusso » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:55 pm

I was just wondering if admissions committees consider economics to be a difficult major and potentially give a slight bump to it. I just finished my junior year with a 3.45 gpa and 164 lsat. I feel stupid now thinking I could have chosen a joke major just to have a high gpa and it would have paid off more. Thanks in advance.

Nova

Re: Economics Major

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:05 pm

adrusso wrote:I was just wondering if admissions committees consider economics to be a difficult major and potentially give a slight bump to it.

No

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Economics is a joke major.

adrusso

Postby adrusso » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:14 pm

I attend the University of Alabama and in one of my statistics classes the teacher mentioned that the business school and engineering schools give out the least As on campus compared to arts and sciences, communications, nursing or what have you. I guess i'll rephrase and ask if admissions will look at statistics like that or not.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:15 pm

If your degree says "school of social science," then you have a degree in a joke major.

Postby 071816 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:16 pm

adrusso wrote:I attend the University of Alabama and in one of my statistics classes the teacher mentioned that the business school and engineering schools give out the least As on campus compared to arts and sciences, communications, nursing or what have you. I guess i'll rephrase and ask if admissions will look at statistics like that or not.

Even if they see the stats, they probably won't care.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Still no. A harder major at the university of Alabama isn't going to mean anything

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:17 pm

drmguy wrote:Economics is a joke major.

Blasphemy! You shut your filthy mouth.

OP, i've heard invariably that admissions don't care.

adrusso

Postby adrusso » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:18 pm

alright, thanks for the replies

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:18 pm

drmguy wrote:If your degree says "school of social science," then you have a degree in a joke major.

This.

Also, if you want to see something funny, look at the average entering gpas at the top 50 b schools vs. the top 50 law schools.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:19 pm

The only thing that matters is what they have to report for their medians. If you had majored in the hardest major in the world, it wouldn't raise your GPA for their reporting purposes and therefore it won't change how they evaluate you.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:21 pm

facile princeps wrote:

As an econ major, I have the authority to make the claim.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:22 pm

IAFG wrote:The only thing that matters is what they have to report for their medians. If you had majored in the hardest major in the world, it wouldn't raise your GPA for their reporting purposes and therefore it won't change how they evaluate you.

Also this.

OP, did you ever wonder why law schools are filled with people with joke majors from "prestigious" schools known for grade inflation?

adrusso

Postby adrusso » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:23 pm

I didn't really think about it all. I think I looked up the majors that correspond to high lsat scores and I think economics was up there so I chose that.

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:26 pm

drmguy wrote:
facile princeps wrote:

As an econ major, I have the authority to make the claim.

As someone who has dabbled in a few econ courses in UG, ceteris paribus, i "assumed" you'd know i was joking :wink:.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:27 pm

adrusso wrote:I didn't really think about it all. I think I looked up the majors that correspond to high lsat scores and I think economics was up there so I chose that.

Please don't tell me that you made a connection between a correlation with LSAT scores and preference of that major in law school admissions. That just plain doesn't make sense.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:29 pm

drmguy wrote:
adrusso wrote:I didn't really think about it all. I think I looked up the majors that correspond to high lsat scores and I think economics was up there so I chose that.

Please don't tell me that you made a connection between a correlation with LSAT scores and preference of that major in law school admissions. That just plain doesn't make sense. doesn't bode well for the LSAT.

adrusso

Postby adrusso » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:30 pm

No I looked up which majors best prepare one to take the LSAT or have students who score the highest. I think mathematics, economics, and philosophy were the top 3 if I remember correctly. I figured with all the variables of a college gpa, teachers, difficulty of major and institution, it would be best to try and prepare myself for the lsat which I thought law schools cared about the most.

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:35 pm

adrusso wrote:No I looked up which majors best prepare one to take the LSAT or have students who score the highest. I think mathematics, economics, and philosophy were the top 3 if I remember correctly. I figured with all the variables of a college gpa, teachers, difficulty of major and institution, it would be best to try and prepare myself for the lsat which I thought law schools cared about the most.

Actually, i doubt it's a case where they prepare you for the LSAT; i think it's more of a case where if you can easily excel at these, it may indicate that you have the capacity to do well on the LSAT.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:36 pm

I mean, it doesn't really matter. You're only shut out of HYS on the basis of that GPA.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:46 pm

adrusso wrote:I was just wondering if admissions committees consider economics to be a difficult major and potentially give a slight bump to it. I just finished my junior year with a 3.45 gpa and 164 lsat. I feel stupid now thinking I could have chosen a joke major just to have a high gpa and it would have paid off more. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, despite the rigor of the Economics major, it would not make sense to give it a bump, because a ton of incoming law students majored in Economics. They have enough Economics people in law school already.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:52 pm

adrusso wrote:I was just wondering if admissions committees consider economics to be a difficult major and potentially give a slight bump to it. I just finished my junior year with a 3.45 gpa and 164 lsat. I feel stupid now thinking I could have chosen a joke major just to have a high gpa and it would have paid off more. Thanks in advance.

LOL no. Nuclear physics is a difficult major. Economics is for liberal arts majors who want to seem math-y.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:55 pm

rayiner wrote:

LOL no. Nuclear physics is a difficult major. Economics is for liberal arts majors who want to seem math-y.

And yet a nuclear physics major isn't getting into HYS with a 3.45 so what does it matter?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:00 pm

IAFG wrote:
rayiner wrote:

And yet a nuclear physics major isn't getting into HYS with a 3.45 so what does it matter?

I mean the real issue here is OP's 164.

Return to “Law School FAQ”