General law school/career questions

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LWNagel

Re: General law school/career questions

Postby LWNagel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Thanks for all of the help, everyone. Is the general consensus that with top law school plus great grades and eca that good biglaw jobs are not ultra difficult to get? This is the one area I know very little about, I have done much more business-side job research.

Postby 1776 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 pm

LWNagel wrote:Hello,

I am a current undergraduate student transferring from a community college to the University of Illinois in fall 2012. I have been investing a ton and a half of time in choosing future careers, and it is coming down to graduate studies in psychology, management consulting, or law. I would have it be known that for a long while in the past I had hoped to become a lawyer, but my interests somewhat changed and I found myself questioning other fields. Basically, I am wondering if my career goals in law are realistic or if I should look elsewhere. I have done much research, but hearing it from the horses mouth, so to speak, is the best.

Who I am:

Psychology major, Communication minor (possible Computer Science minor as well)
Projected GPA of 3.77+ conservatively, very likely in the 3.85 area
Stellar extra curricular activities (national speech team multi-medalist, including gold; student government; honors society; various clubs as officer)
Excellent communication/writing skills, and interest in law
Personally founding a 501(c)(3) devoted to helping high school students get involved in extracurricular activities
Started college at age 14

The reasons I am looking at law are, in no particular order...great money, great upward mobility, "people skills" emphasis, heavily based around writing.

The reasons I am not 100% committed to law right now are that a) I do not know if I can plan on getting a good biglaw job after law school, with my qualifications; and b) although I am more than happy---eager, even, to work crazy hours, I don't want to be working crazy BORING hours. I thrive on challenge, and although I know biglaw is not at all focused on the courtroom, I still want to have interesting tasks at the office.

I didn't put this in the "what are the odds" forum because I know that I stand a good chance to get into a good school. I am more concerned with my chances to get into a great biglaw firm, and actually want to stick around.

For what it's worth, the reason I am not completely sure about management consulting is that I don't have a great history with math (the comp sci minor would be to help get my skills up, and show MBB that I "can math". The reasons I am not sure about psychology professorship is that a) I don't want such a low salary cap, and b) I want to do more applied-side (I was thinking about I/O).

So, with this all in mind...what are your opinions about law, for me?

Thanks---and if there is a better place to post this, let me know. I don't have any lawyer friends/family.

So, ye TLSers...what are your opinions?

Do you want to be a lawyer? If you don't, you probably aren't going to like it and/or find it boring. There are plenty of careers that pay well and have mobility. I think you should pick something that you are interested in and enjoy, or you may hate and regret you decision.

LWNagel

Postby LWNagel » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:58 am

Yes, I am familiar with the silly motivations for wanting to go into law...finance fulfills many of my career goals, but I am just not interested in it. From the research I have done, it appears that there are some aspects of lawyering that I wouldn't be too keen on, but in general I believe that I would really enjoy it.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:38 pm

LWNagel wrote:I haven't taken the test yet but I got a practice book and am genuinely excited to take it (one of motivators for wanting to do law) and confident in my ability. I will take a practice test ASAP if I decide to go the law route.

Wait. The LSAT is one of the motivators for you becoming a lawyer?

The LSAT has nothing to do with being a lawyer. Do some research into what lawyers do. It's a lot of desk work and research.

Go get a job after college. Grow up and earn some money before law school

edit: that's not supposed to sound mean. Im serious and genuinely giving that advice. Didn't mean to sound condescending or anything

LWNagel

Postby LWNagel » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:43 pm

No offense taken. I didn't phrase that so well---what I mean is that the skills that the LSAT requires are skills I enjoy using. I have done research (substantial research) into what lawyers actually do, and I am quite interested in it.

Return to “Law School FAQ”