General law school/career questions

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LWNagel

General law school/career questions

Postby LWNagel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Hello,

I am a current undergraduate student transferring from a community college to the University of Illinois in fall 2012. I have been investing a ton and a half of time in choosing future careers, and it is coming down to graduate studies in psychology, management consulting, or law. I would have it be known that for a long while in the past I had hoped to become a lawyer, but my interests somewhat changed and I found myself questioning other fields. Basically, I am wondering if my career goals in law are realistic or if I should look elsewhere. I have done much research, but hearing it from the horses mouth, so to speak, is the best.

Who I am:

Psychology major, Communication minor (possible Computer Science minor as well)
Projected GPA of 3.77+ conservatively, very likely in the 3.85 area
Stellar extra curricular activities (national speech team multi-medalist, including gold; student government; honors society; various clubs as officer)
Excellent communication/writing skills, and interest in law
Personally founding a 501(c)(3) devoted to helping high school students get involved in extracurricular activities
Started college at age 14

The reasons I am looking at law are, in no particular order...great money, great upward mobility, "people skills" emphasis, heavily based around writing.

The reasons I am not 100% committed to law right now are that a) I do not know if I can plan on getting a good biglaw job after law school, with my qualifications; and b) although I am more than happy---eager, even, to work crazy hours, I don't want to be working crazy BORING hours. I thrive on challenge, and although I know biglaw is not at all focused on the courtroom, I still want to have interesting tasks at the office.

I didn't put this in the "what are the odds" forum because I know that I stand a good chance to get into a good school. I am more concerned with my chances to get into a great biglaw firm, and actually want to stick around.

For what it's worth, the reason I am not completely sure about management consulting is that I don't have a great history with math (the comp sci minor would be to help get my skills up, and show MBB that I "can math". The reasons I am not sure about psychology professorship is that a) I don't want such a low salary cap, and b) I want to do more applied-side (I was thinking about I/O).

So, with this all in mind...what are your opinions about law, for me?

Thanks---and if there is a better place to post this, let me know. I don't have any lawyer friends/family.

So, ye TLSers...what are your opinions?

reasonable_man

Re: General law school/career questions

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:12 pm

LWNagel wrote:Hello,

I am a current undergraduate student transferring from a community college to the University of Illinois in fall 2012. I have been investing a ton and a half of time in choosing future careers, and it is coming down to graduate studies in psychology, management consulting, or law. I would have it be known that for a long while in the past I had hoped to become a lawyer, but my interests somewhat changed and I found myself questioning other fields. Basically, I am wondering if my career goals in law are realistic or if I should look elsewhere. I have done much research, but hearing it from the horses mouth, so to speak, is the best.

Who I am:

Stellar extra curricular activities (national speech team multi-medalist, including gold; student government; honors society; various clubs as officer)
Personally founding a 501(c)(3) devoted to helping high school students get involved in extracurricular activities

The reasons I am looking at law are, in no particular order...great money, great upward mobility, "people skills" emphasis, heavily based around writing.

The reasons I am not 100% committed to law right now are that a) I do not know if I can plan on getting a good biglaw job after law school, with my qualifications; and b) although I am more than happy---eager, even, to work crazy hours, I don't want to be working crazy BORING hours. I thrive on challenge, and although I know biglaw is not at all focused on the courtroom, I still want to have interesting tasks at the office.

I didn't put this in the "what are the odds" forum because I know that I stand a good chance to get into a good school. I am more concerned with my chances to get into a great biglaw firm, and actually want to stick around.

For what it's worth, the reason I am not completely sure about management consulting is that I don't have a great history with math (the comp sci minor would be to help get my skills up, and show MBB that I "can math". The reasons I am not sure about psychology professorship is that a) I don't want such a low salary cap, and b) I want to do more applied-side (I was thinking about I/O).

Thanks---and if there is a better place to post this, let me know. I don't have any lawyer friends/family.

What the hell is your question?

LWNagel

Postby LWNagel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:16 pm

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:18 pm

LWNagel wrote:Hello,

Who I am:

So how old are you?

Also, calling flame.

hopper123

Postby hopper123 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:22 pm

Does MBB even recruit at univ of illinois? Honestly, without a person in MBB, you don't stand much of a chance to get them to even sit you for a problem-solving test. Even if you do manage to get to the PST, you will have to pass to interviews with flying colors, and I'm curious whether your age will be an issue. If you can nail the LSAT, I would shoot for law as you stand a better chance there. If you want MBB after law, you'll be in a better position provided you go to a good law school.

LWNagel

Postby LWNagel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:22 pm

I am now 17. The reason I ask now is because a) I like to have a working plan, b) if I decide to pursue law more seriously I will make more contacts with the prelaw groups at my university, and c) depending on whether I do comp sci I will only have one summer to do an internship.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Your softs aren't "stellar" and they will help you only slightly. Law school isn't going anywhere, so for now focus very hard on going the Management Consulting route. If you land "MBB" (don't know how realistic this is outside a top undergrad program and without any demonstration of hard quant skills, but whatever maybe you have a great resume).

If you can land a management consulting or any other solid $50k+ consulting/finance gig, DO IT. Work for 2 years, then apply to law school. 2 years of work experience in a strong field will be more impressive than starting a non-profit, you'll save money, and you'll have more maturity/direction for once you enter law school.

Cliffs: bust your ass and try to get the best job you can, then, after 2 years of working and making good money you still want to go to law school do it.

LWNagel

Postby LWNagel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:26 pm

hopper123 wrote:Does MBB even recruit at univ of illinois? Honestly, without a person in MBB, you don't stand much of a chance to get them to even sit you for a problem-solving test. Even if you do manage to get to the PST, you will have to pass to interviews with flying colors, and I'm curious whether your age will be an issue. If you can nail the LSAT, I would shoot for law as you stand a better chance there. If you want MBB after law, you'll be in a better position provided you go to a good law school.

Bain recruits there. So does Deloitte, for what its worth. Furthermore, there is a consulting group on campus with alumni at McKinsey and BCG. I have done a tremendous amount of research about consulting and MBB, I am not too worried about getting an interview.

LWNagel

Postby LWNagel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:29 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:Your softs aren't "stellar" and they will help you only slightly. Law school isn't going anywhere, so for now focus very hard on going the Management Consulting route. If you land "MBB" (don't know how realistic this is outside a top undergrad program and without any demonstration of hard quant skills, but whatever maybe you have a great resume).

If you can land a management consulting or any other solid $50k+ consulting/finance gig, DO IT. Work for 2 years, then apply to law school. 2 years of work experience in a strong field will be more impressive than starting a non-profit, you'll save money, and you'll have more maturity/direction for once you enter law school.

Cliffs: bust your ass and try to get the best job you can, then, after 2 years of working and making good money you still want to go to law school do it.

The reason I say stellar is because they are all at the community college level. I have 2-3 more years to get them to the 4-year stellar level, lol. Is comp sci minor any indication of quant skill? Bear in mind I am willing to wait until after MBA to do MBA.

hopper123

Postby hopper123 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:49 pm

LWNagel wrote:
hopper123 wrote:Does MBB even recruit at univ of illinois? Honestly, without a person in MBB, you don't stand much of a chance to get them to even sit you for a problem-solving test. Even if you do manage to get to the PST, you will have to pass to interviews with flying colors, and I'm curious whether your age will be an issue. If you can nail the LSAT, I would shoot for law as you stand a better chance there. If you want MBB after law, you'll be in a better position provided you go to a good law school.

Bain recruits there. So does Deloitte, for what its worth. Furthermore, there is a consulting group on campus with alumni at McKinsey and BCG. I have done a tremendous amount of research about consulting and MBB, I am not too worried about getting an interview.

I am not so sure you understand the lvl of MBB--I can find countless of brilliant people (I wouldn't be surprised if brighter than you) who have failed some aspect of the interview, even the PST. I also don't know how excited firms will be to hire a 17 year old. First off Bain is the most gpa whorish, so a 3.85 isn't very spectacular to them, especially from a community college and univ of illinois (they pick from the litter of hyp first); second who the fawkcarea about deloitte (it's a shite firm compared to MBB); third, an alum only means so much. People won't vouch for others if they have any reservations, and frankly there must be some kids who get 4.0s at univ of ill who are in business school or math majors or whatever who would be safer bets. I mean I wish you the best of luck with it but get there first before you claim how easy it is. Just out of curiosity, why didnt you apply to a better university? I mean if you are THAT good you must have done well enough on the sat or high school to get into a better school. And if you did, I would be surprised that you would deny the opportunites at a better school. I get the feeling you are slightly cocky yet you are not even a rockstar academically.

LWNagel

Postby LWNagel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:03 pm

hopper123 wrote:
LWNagel wrote:

I am not so sure you understand the lvl of MBB--I can find countless of brilliant people (I wouldn't be surprised if brighter than you) who have failed some aspect of the interview, even the PST. I also don't know how excited firms will be to hire a 17 year old. First off Bain is the most gpa whorish, so a 3.85 isn't very spectacular to them, especially from a community college and univ of illinois (they pick from the litter of hyp first); second who the fawkcarea about deloitte (it's a shite firm compared to MBB); third, an alum only means so much. People won't vouch for others if they have any reservations, and frankly there must be some kids who get 4.0s at univ of ill who are in business school or math majors or whatever who would be safer bets. I mean I wish you the best of luck with it but get there first before you claim how easy it is. Just out of curiosity, why didnt you apply to a better university? I mean if you are THAT good you must have done well enough on the sat or high school to get into a better school. And if you did, I would be surprised that you would deny the opportunites at a better school. I get the feeling you are slightly cocky yet you are not even a rockstar academically.

No need to insult me! I am going to be 18 or 19 when actually applying, every single place I have looked has said 3.5 GPA is the bottom.

I didn't apply to stronger schools because of money and distance mainly. I hope I don't come off too cocky, I know MBB is extremely difficult to get into.

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:08 pm

LWNagel wrote:I am now 17. The reason I ask now is because a) I like to have a working plan, b) if I decide to pursue law more seriously I will make more contacts with the prelaw groups at my university, and c) depending on whether I do comp sci I will only have one summer to do an internship.

maybe you should contact your schools pre-law people and ask them to answer your question. I mean wanting to pursue law because of things such as "great money" is very very misguided. If you did do any research on law school prior to your post you would know that "great money" is FAR from guaranteed. Just focus on killing your UG classes.

LWNagel

Postby LWNagel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Scotchandsoda wrote:
LWNagel wrote:I am now 17. The reason I ask now is because a) I like to have a working plan, b) if I decide to pursue law more seriously I will make more contacts with the prelaw groups at my university, and c) depending on whether I do comp sci I will only have one summer to do an internship.

maybe you should contact your schools pre-law people and ask them to answer your question. I mean wanting to pursue law because of things such as "great money" is very very misguided. If you did do any research on law school prior to your post you would know that "great money" is FAR from guaranteed. Just focus on killing your UG classes.

Money is not a prime motivator. I am pretty sure that most people who want to go into biglaw are at least somewhat motivated by money, right? I know it is not guaranteed, the goal of this post is to gain some idea as to whether it is feasible for me.

LWNagel

Postby LWNagel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Anyway, I'm asking about biglaw and not MBB.

Yes, I can theoretically transfer again to a stronger school.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:32 pm

McKinsey and Bain definetely recruit from Illinois. Not sure about BCG. If you do want to go to law school, I would stay away from the CS minor. Illinois' CS program is one of the most prestigious/difficult in the country. Won't do the GPA any favors.

hopper123

Postby hopper123 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:40 pm

LWNagel wrote:Anyway, I'm asking about biglaw and not MBB.

Yes, I can theoretically transfer again to a stronger school.
Last edited by hopper123 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LWNagel

Postby LWNagel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:47 pm

I haven't taken the test yet but I got a practice book and am genuinely excited to take it (one of motivators for wanting to do law) and confident in my ability. I will take a practice test ASAP if I decide to go the law route.

LWNagel

Postby LWNagel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Betharl wrote:McKinsey and Bain definetely recruit from Illinois. Not sure about BCG. If you do want to go to law school, I would stay away from the CS minor. Illinois' CS program is one of the most prestigious/difficult in the country. Won't do the GPA any favors.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think it is worth it if I decide to go the consulting route?

hopper123

Postby hopper123 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Last edited by hopper123 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LWNagel

Postby LWNagel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Gotcha, thanks. I know I can do all those things if I try hard enough (and try I will). I just don't have a heck of a lot of interest in finance, to be honest. I know it makes better money and sets people up really well, but I just don't feel like I'd enjoy it enough...

As a side note, do you think it is worth it to try to transfer up to Harvard/Stanford/something else, at this point, for law (or MBB, given that a lot of this conversation is about consulting)? I picked U of I largely because their Psych program is top 10, but they are of course not at the top tier as far as overall schools go.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Consulting is the biggest crock of shit on the face of the earth. Stop being a little and go finance or corporate.

LWNagel

Postby LWNagel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:31 pm

I just don't think I would enjoy finance. Sorry for my naïveté, but when you say "go corporate", what exactly do you mean?

hopper123

Postby hopper123 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:32 pm

LWNagel wrote:Gotcha, thanks. I know I can do all those things if I try hard enough (and try I will). I just don't have a heck of a lot of interest in finance, to be honest. I know it makes better money and sets people up really well, but I just don't feel like I'd enjoy it enough...

As a side note, do you think it is worth it to try to transfer up to Harvard/Stanford/something else, at this point, for law (or MBB, given that a lot of this conversation is about consulting)? I picked U of I largely because their Psych program is top 10, but they are of course not at the top tier as far as overall schools go.
Last edited by hopper123 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilovelawtays

Postby ilovelawtays » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:38 pm

I know someone who went to MIT at like 16. Or graduated at 16. Or something. Said person went on to practice IP law.

Anyway, that person is freaking weird. Nice, smart, successful, but weird.

Slow down, kid.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:42 pm

What I meant was just management withing a single company. Anyway, do consulting if you think it is worthwhile, it would be better for your career.

Return to “Law School FAQ”