Early Decision advantage at American Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jhd125

New

Early Decision advantage at American

Post by jhd125 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:50 am

American is my top choice law school (and, determined to raise my LSAT scores, is also my reach school). I plan on taking my chances and applying ED. Does anyone have any insight as to whether ED is an advantage at this school? My LORs are both from alumni and previous professors of the school as well. Will that do me any good??

cinephile

Gold

Re: Early Decision advantage at American

Post by cinephile » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:55 am

I'm curious as to why American is your top choice, but regardless, I wouldn't ED at any school that doesn't offer automatic full-rides to their ED admits. By applying and getting offers elsewhere, you're in a better position to negotiate scholarship money.

jhd125

New

Post by jhd125 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:04 am

I spent a semester in DC doing a pre-law program and made a ton of professional connections. I loved the city and sat in on some law school classes there and really enjoyed them. I know its extremely expensive but their clinical programs are appealing to me as well and had wonderful meetings with a few of their professors. The LSAT is just holding me back

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:16 am

jhd125 wrote:American is my top choice law school (and, determined to raise my LSAT scores, is also my reach school). I plan on taking my chances and applying ED. Does anyone have any insight as to whether ED is an advantage at this school? My LORs are both from alumni and previous professors of the school as well. Will that do me any good??
Retake and don't aim for American. Less than half of their graduates find full time legal work. That is most definitely not worth a quarter of a million dollars (COA at sticker which you would be paying if you got in because you are EDing with what I assume is a below median LSAT).

Also, the LORs may be marginally helpful but probably won't help you overcome poor numbers. LORs aren't counted when the rankings are calculated and at best could be a tie-breaker between two indistinguishable candidates when deciding admission.

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:27 pm

I forum searched this because it is such a good post:
InGoodFaith wrote:To roughly quote Paul Campos:

OP: I have a choice between making a smart decision or following my dreams.
50 identical posts: Do the smart thing.
OP: But it's my dream.
OP, I think what people are trying to say is not to restrict yourself to EDing American when you have a chance of still getting into American with some leverage from other schools that have given you scholarship money. Not to be all LSAT nerdy, but being convinced a school is your top choice is a necessary, but not a sufficient, condition to ED there.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Haha, great post by IGF.

OP, dont ED at American, and dont attend at sticker.
American c/o 2011 wrote:35.8% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number school-funded jobs.
56.1% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
63.4% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.
--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”