Do law schools look at your last term GPA? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
norin

New

Do law schools look at your last term GPA?

Post by norin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Dumb question, but I am curious. Numerically, I will be right on the border of having a pretty decent GPA after this fall semester, and the spring semester will tip it over into the 3.5+ range. Will schools consider my GPA after the spring semester, or will they pretty much purely go off of the post fall GPA. Obviously it won't be that big of a difference, but I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks!

Bronck

Gold

Re: Do law schools look at your last term GPA?

Post by Bronck » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:40 pm

If you submit a new transcript to LSAC. The recalculated GPA from LSAC is what schools report to USNWR.

ScottPilgrim

New

Post by ScottPilgrim » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:42 pm

If you aren't already admitted, sure, they will probably look at it, because it may drop their GPA average. Outside of dropping your GPA ridiculously (before admittance), I wouldn't worry about it.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Only send in an updated transcript to LSAC if your grades go up, or stay exactly the same.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:34 pm

buckilaw wrote:Only send in an updated transcript to LSAC if your grades go up, or stay exactly the same.
Disagree

If youre waitlisted and schools ask for a transcript, send it in regardless. I got into a lower T14 (ranked between 7 and 12) w/ 60k despite being below both medians and lowering my GPA w final semester grades. Weird stuff happens when you write LOCIs and show interest.

Also, I'm not a URM, I had zero hours of community service and no WE.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:36 pm

mr.hands wrote:
buckilaw wrote:Only send in an updated transcript to LSAC if your grades go up, or stay exactly the same.
Disagree

If youre waitlisted and schools ask for a transcript, send it in regardless. I got into a lower T14 (ranked between 7 and 12) w/ 60k despite being below both medians and lowering my GPA w final semester grades. Weird stuff happens when you write LOCIs and show interest.

Sending it to the school is one thing, definitely send it to the school if they ask. But sending the transcript to LSAC after a dip can only hurt you, since they then would need to report this lower GPA to US NEWS/ the ABA.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:45 pm

buckilaw wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
Disagree

Sending it to the school is one thing, definitely send it to the school if they ask. But sending the transcript to LSAC after a dip can only hurt you, since they then would need to report this lower GPA to US NEWS/ the ABA.
No no, I sent in the transcript to LSAC per the school's request. Subsequently was accepted

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”