Do law schools look at your last term GPA?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
norin
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Do law schools look at your last term GPA?

Postby norin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Dumb question, but I am curious. Numerically, I will be right on the border of having a pretty decent GPA after this fall semester, and the spring semester will tip it over into the 3.5+ range. Will schools consider my GPA after the spring semester, or will they pretty much purely go off of the post fall GPA. Obviously it won't be that big of a difference, but I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks!

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Do law schools look at your last term GPA?

Postby Bronck » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:40 pm

If you submit a new transcript to LSAC. The recalculated GPA from LSAC is what schools report to USNWR.

ScottPilgrim
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Do law schools look at your last term GPA?

Postby ScottPilgrim » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:42 pm

If you aren't already admitted, sure, they will probably look at it, because it may drop their GPA average. Outside of dropping your GPA ridiculously (before admittance), I wouldn't worry about it.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Do law schools look at your last term GPA?

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Only send in an updated transcript to LSAC if your grades go up, or stay exactly the same.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Do law schools look at your last term GPA?

Postby mr.hands » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:34 pm

buckilaw wrote:Only send in an updated transcript to LSAC if your grades go up, or stay exactly the same.


Disagree

If youre waitlisted and schools ask for a transcript, send it in regardless. I got into a lower T14 (ranked between 7 and 12) w/ 60k despite being below both medians and lowering my GPA w final semester grades. Weird stuff happens when you write LOCIs and show interest.

Also, I'm not a URM, I had zero hours of community service and no WE.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Do law schools look at your last term GPA?

Postby buckilaw » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:36 pm

mr.hands wrote:
buckilaw wrote:Only send in an updated transcript to LSAC if your grades go up, or stay exactly the same.


Disagree

If youre waitlisted and schools ask for a transcript, send it in regardless. I got into a lower T14 (ranked between 7 and 12) w/ 60k despite being below both medians and lowering my GPA w final semester grades. Weird stuff happens when you write LOCIs and show interest.

Also, I'm not a URM, I had zero hours of community service and no WE.


Sending it to the school is one thing, definitely send it to the school if they ask. But sending the transcript to LSAC after a dip can only hurt you, since they then would need to report this lower GPA to US NEWS/ the ABA.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Do law schools look at your last term GPA?

Postby mr.hands » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:45 pm

buckilaw wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
buckilaw wrote:Only send in an updated transcript to LSAC if your grades go up, or stay exactly the same.


Disagree

If youre waitlisted and schools ask for a transcript, send it in regardless. I got into a lower T14 (ranked between 7 and 12) w/ 60k despite being below both medians and lowering my GPA w final semester grades. Weird stuff happens when you write LOCIs and show interest.

Also, I'm not a URM, I had zero hours of community service and no WE.


Sending it to the school is one thing, definitely send it to the school if they ask. But sending the transcript to LSAC after a dip can only hurt you, since they then would need to report this lower GPA to US NEWS/ the ABA.


No no, I sent in the transcript to LSAC per the school's request. Subsequently was accepted




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest