Work and 1L

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
spleenworship

Re: Work and 1L

Postby spleenworship » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:46 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:what about teaching small classes during 1L summer?

My question would be: why the hell aren't you a summer associate somewhere?

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:32 pm

spleenworship wrote:

i thought it was common knowledge that it'd be nearly impossible to land 1L SA in a biglaw firm unless URM

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:00 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

i thought it was common knowledge that it'd be nearly impossible to land 1L SA in a biglaw firm unless URM

I was unaware that biglaw was the only option. My bad.

And to think that my employment with the federal government and a small law office this summer as a law clerk didn't fall under that general category.

Seriously, I know everyone on here wants biglaw, but my point was to do something legal during your 1L summer if at all possible. It might not officially be called being a "summer associate" but you can get something legal, which was my point. Also, from friends I have seen at T14 schools, you don't HAVE to be a minority to find a 1L summer in biglaw. It just helps.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:26 pm

spleenworship wrote:
HarlandBassett wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

I was unaware that biglaw was the only option. My bad.

And to think that my employment with the federal government and a small law office this summer as a law clerk didn't fall under that general category.

Seriously, I know everyone on here wants biglaw, but my point was to do something legal during your 1L summer if at all possible. It might not officially be called being a "summer associate" but you can get something legal, which was my point. Also, from friends I have seen at T14 schools, you don't HAVE to be a minority to find a 1L summer in biglaw. It just helps.

What are you even talking about?

1. This thread is about work in addition to school, so presumably Harland was asking if it was possible to work at a [LSAT] teaching job in addition to a 1L summer job.
2. The position title of summer associate is used pretty much exclusively at biglaw firms. Other positions are typically interns or law clerks. So when you say "summer associate" of course people think you're talking about biglaw. Don't get all snarky because you used biglaw-specific terminology and confused him.

@Harland - it really, really will depend on what your summer job is. If you need the money to live on, you can probably make it work. If you're getting paid for your summer legal job or have a stipend, it'll just be up to you whether you want to work that much. After 1L, I really liked coming home after work and being able to do nothing, but if you want to teach classes, I think you can work it out. You'll probably be pretty tired though.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Ozymandias wrote:What are you even talking about?

1. This thread is about work in addition to school, so presumably Harland was asking if it was possible to work at a [LSAT] teaching job in addition to a 1L summer job.
2. The position title of summer associate is used pretty much exclusively at biglaw firms. Other positions are typically interns or law clerks. So when you say "summer associate" of course people think you're talking about biglaw. Don't get all snarky because you used biglaw-specific terminology and confused him.

Smalllaw and Midlaw firms in my market sometimes use "summer associate." As do botiques. So it is not necessarily exclusive to biglaw.

All the same, sorry I got snarky. Sometimes I get tired of the repetitive biglaw focus on this site. Between the economy and the fact that the majority of lawyers do not practice in biglaw, it just seems silly to me. But I shouldn't have let that frustration come out on the person asking the question.

I'll rephrase it this way: "Yes, you could teach part time during your summer, but you would be better off finding funding for an internship, getting a summer associate position (which is not the exclusive province of URMs if you are T14), or clerking somewhere for a small or mid sized firm."

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:51 pm

I said "pretty much exclusively," and on TLS 99% of the time SA = biglaw SA, not whatever random employers in your small market happen to call it.

And who is talking about working part-time to teach the LSAT? Again, presumably he means having a full-time 1L summer job, and teaching on nights/weekends, like the rest of this thread has been about.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:11 pm

If OP is male, try donating sperm. Not a lot of time and it's definitely stress relieving rather than stressful.

Tekuo

Postby Tekuo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:06 pm

splitbrain wrote:If OP is male, try donating sperm. Not a lot of time and it's definitely stress relieving rather than stressful.

Word.

Eggs get some nice $$ too.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:07 pm

Ozymandias wrote:I said "pretty much exclusively," and on TLS 99% of the time SA = biglaw SA, not whatever random employers in your small market happen to call it.

And who is talking about working part-time to teach the LSAT? Again, presumably he means having a full-time 1L summer job, and teaching on nights/weekends, like the rest of this thread has been about.

1) I already apologized and rephrased
2) part time = nights and weekends
3) stop being a dick.

ETA: and my point is why waste your extra time teaching the LSAT when you can hopefully get paid/funding for something that actually helps your resume and teaches you a little bit about being a lawyer. That's all.

Return to “Law School FAQ”