Questions about IP

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Questions about IP

Postby biomedhawk » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:57 pm

I've decided to change my major from Biomedical Engineering (a suprisingly useless degree) to Electrical and Computer Engineering. My plan is to get the degree and go to work for a few years to see what I really want to do with my career. I have a couple of questions...

1) For Electrical/Computer Engineering, is a few years work experience enough to get IP or should I be considering a masters program also?

2) How old is too old to go to law school? I will be graduating at 23. If I work for 3-5 years that means I won't graduate law school until I'm in my 30's. Are law firms accepting of 1st year associates that are in their 30's?

Thank you.

Re: Questions about IP

Postby ScottPilgrim » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Pretty sure biomed gets you into the patent bar, which is all you really need. I would double check on your exact degree, but biomedical should let you be an IP guy.

I don't think you would need the work experience, at least to get the high paying patent job.

As a rule of thumb, I've found most firms like the older applicant. Some don't like it, because the older lawyer won't put up with their shit (and get you to work crazy hours), but on the other side, a lot of older lawyers hate working with the young, mid-20's grad who never spent an hour outside of school. Seems to depend on the firm, but having actual work experience hasn't hurt too many people.

Re: Questions about IP

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:44 pm

EE/CE is good with a BS and WE. 30+ is fine, if not better. EE/CE is probably going to stay more in demand anyway. I will be late 30's when I graduate and IP firms value my experience. The WE will also render your law school grades/performance less relevant (they still are, but carry less weight).

Return to “Law School FAQ”