Aspies in LS and practice

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
North

Aspies in LS and practice

Postby North » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:57 am

I've been wondering this for a while. I'm pretty aspie. I suck at talking to people, but I can sit down and work on something boring for twelve hours with no problem. I know that the legal profession is dominated by Type A (turns out I didn't know what the Types meant) very social kinds of people -- people people, if you will. Is it going to be rough for people like me in law school or Biglaw (or regular law)?

ETA: If this is a derpy question, feel free to troll. I'm genuinely curious/concerned, though.
Last edited by North on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Re: Aspies/Type Bs in LS and practice

Postby fatduck » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:59 am

it's a legit question. maybe a law firm isn't the best spot for you, but there are plenty of other opportunities in the legal field, if you look hard enough. have you considered being a TLS administrator?

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:00 pm

fatduck wrote: have you considered being a TLS administrator?

:lol:

North

Postby North » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:06 pm

fatduck wrote:have you considered being a TLS administrator?
I'm on my way to 10,000 on-topic posts already. Automatic bump to Admin. I think that's what happened with BK, at least. Pay sucks, but Princess Mods.

But srsly.

ETA: ITP I demonstrate a misunderstanding of the difference between a Moderator and an Administrator.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:02 pm

I always thought Type As were neurotic people, not people-people.

North

Postby North » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:06 pm

cinephile wrote:I always thought Type As were neurotic people, not people-people.

You are correct. I don't know why, but I always thought Type As were supposed to be social butterflies.

This thread is going so well.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:08 pm

North wrote:
cinephile wrote:I always thought Type As were neurotic people, not people-people.

You are correct. I don't know why, but I always thought Type As were supposed to be social butterflies.

This thread is going so well.

Don't worry, you sound neurotic enough to make it in law :)
But seriously, bringing in clients is part of the job, but working by yourself for long hours without getting bored is a plus too.

ChikaBoom

Postby ChikaBoom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Well, someone has to do all the research and writing. Sounds like you might have that nailed down if you can sit and focus like that. I can be pretty aspie myself, so I hope that this isn't too much of a hindrance. :wink:

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:14 pm

Same situation as you OP. Based on some of the people I've talked to, it seems we aren't alone in being completely socially inept. There's hope for us yet!

North

Postby North » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:27 pm

ChikaBoom wrote: I can be pretty aspie myself, so I hope that this isn't too much of a hindrance. :wink:
KevinP wrote:Same situation as you OP. Based on some of the people I've talked to, it seems we aren't alone in being completely socially inept. There's hope for us yet!
Okay, I like hearing that it's not just me. If we end up at the same LS we should get together and share awkward silences.
cinephile wrote:But seriously, bringing in clients is part of the job
I've heard this too. I've never fully understood what it entails, though, at least in big law. Cold calls to Fortune 500 companies? Hanging out at golf courses?

SnapSnapSnap

Postby SnapSnapSnap » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:34 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests. But I'm not an aspie, I'm a schizoid. (Read: NOT schizophrenic. Ask the goog.)

OP, I'll be in the cubicle next to you. I think we can build a great friendship based on mutual silence.

ChikaBoom

Postby ChikaBoom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:42 pm

North wrote:
ChikaBoom wrote: I can be pretty aspie myself, so I hope that this isn't too much of a hindrance. :wink:
KevinP wrote:Same situation as you OP. Based on some of the people I've talked to, it seems we aren't alone in being completely socially inept. There's hope for us yet!
Okay, I like hearing that it's not just me. If we end up at the same LS we should get together and share awkward silences.
cinephile wrote:But seriously, bringing in clients is part of the job
I've heard this too. I've never fully understood what it entails, though, at least in big law. Cold calls to Fortune 500 companies? Hanging out at golf courses?

Drinking fine scotch and chatting with the boys, obvs. Golf may or may not be involved, though it's a relatively quiet sport and should suit us. We can't really enjoy the awkward silence, but it is all we will find comfortable.

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:04 pm

There are certainly tons of people who are like what you describe. But being personable/sociable is an asset in every profession. Doing great work, being liked in the firm and being liked by people enough to bring them in as clients is how you make partner.

PaulKriske

Postby PaulKriske » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:07 pm

ChikaBoom wrote:Drinking fine scotch

is this a prereq? i've always preferred the clearer liquors.

ChikaBoom

Postby ChikaBoom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:15 pm

PaulKriske wrote:
ChikaBoom wrote:Drinking fine scotch

is this a prereq? i've always preferred the clearer liquors.

Don't get kicked out of the aspie brigade, now.

Flash

Postby Flash » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:21 pm

North wrote:I've been wondering this for a while. I'm pretty aspie. I suck at talking to people, but I can sit down and work on something boring for twelve hours with no problem. I know that the legal profession is dominated by Type A kinds of people -- people people, if you will. Is it going to be rough for people like me in law school or Biglaw (or regular law)?

ETA: If this is a derpy question, feel free to troll. I'm genuinely curious/concerned, though.

Most lawyers are pretty aspie but can sit down and work on boring shit for hours on end. People people hate being a lawyer for that reason.

North

Postby North » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Broseidon wrote:Doing great work, being liked in the firm and being liked by people enough to bring them in as clients is how you make partner.
So, bringing clients in is some sort of mesh between friendship and business (srs question)? So, as an aspiring partner, a Biglaw associate is expected to already have these friendships and then turn them into clients? Like how we used to have to turn our family members into clients when selling catalog junk for school. Or is this something they teach you how to do on the job, like a firm will teach you how they want their briefs to look. I realize that might be getting off of my own topic with this.

ChikaBoom wrote:the aspie brigade

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:39 pm

North wrote:
Broseidon wrote:Doing great work, being liked in the firm and being liked by people enough to bring them in as clients is how you make partner.
So, bringing clients in is some sort of mesh between friendship and business (srs question)? So, as an aspiring partner, a Biglaw associate is expected to already have these friendships? Or is this something they teach you how to do on the job, like a firm will teach you how they want their briefs to look. I realize that might be getting off of my own topic with this.

Ok so are you a little aspie. No, you're not expected to have those relationships going in and no, it's not about friendship. Also, you really can't "teach" people how to bring in clients. You watch others and how they interact and what seems to work in convincing people to bring their business into your firm.

This is why it helps to have work experience before law school.

North

Postby North » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Broseidon wrote:No, you're not expected to have those relationships going in and no, it's not about friendship. Also, you really can't "teach" people how to bring in clients. You watch others and how they interact and what seems to work in convincing people to bring their business into your firm.
Okay, I've got you. Last question to complete my blossoming understanding: is finding and bringing in clients something that's done during work hours? Or is it something you do after-hours at things where wealthy business people go, like gala openings and whatnot?

Broseidon wrote:This is why it helps to have work experience before law school.
I have a couple years of WE, but not in sales. From what I know from watching The Office, this seems like sales. No?

elizcbeth

Postby elizcbeth » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:52 pm

I'm so lost. Let's get some definitions up in here.

Aspie: Person with asperger's who is not gifted at small talk, yes?
Type-A: Neurotic overachiever
Schizoid: undefined, but not schizophrenic, apparently.

North

Postby North » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:54 pm

elizcbeth wrote:Aspie: Person with asperger's who is not gifted at small talk, yes?
ITT: we use 'aspie' informally. Not medically diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, just socially inept/unwilling to a fault.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:01 pm

elizcbeth wrote:Schizoid: undefined, but not schizophrenic, apparently.

Wiki wrote:Schizoid personality disorder (SPD) is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of interest in social relationships, a tendency towards a solitary lifestyle, secretiveness, emotional coldness, and apathy. Affected individuals may also demonstrate a simultaneous rich, elaborate, and exclusively internal fantasy world.

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:54 pm

I just read through the wikipedia page on Schizoid and it might describe me really well :P

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:02 pm

Having an Asbergers Type Personality >>> Being Type A

Type A people are annoying as shit

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:08 pm

I don't know if I am Type A or Type B :(

Return to “Law School FAQ”