Which schools to apply to for JD/MBA? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
icandiee

New

Which schools to apply to for JD/MBA?

Post by icandiee » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:29 am

So I want to pursue a JD/MBA since it opens up options for me in both worlds but since I also want to go into corporate law and work for big law firms, I thought the MBA would be helpful as well. I'm still in UG and I'm a Canadian citizen but I'm not exactly sure which schools offer programs where it's a joint and I can specialize in corporate law...I was looking into Cornell or UCLA for American schools, but I'm also open to higher tier schools or any school really..hoping I could achieve the scores they want on both tests.
Pretty much open to schools where I'm able to do the double degree and go into corporate law and work for big law firms..sadly I was more inspired to become a lawyer after watching Suits..
Thanks! (:

Nova

Platinum

Re: Which schools to apply to for JD/MBA?

Post by Nova » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:26 am

Since you dont have LSAT/GMAT scores, which means this is mostly fantasy atm, get a Harvard JD/MBA like Rom. Any of HYS/CCN/MVPB/NU are are legit combos. Just cross reference these

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... a-rankings

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

PowderedWater

New

Post by PowderedWater » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:14 pm

Pretty much what Nova said. I would figure that (other than the obvious Harvard and Stanford) University of Pennsylvania, University of Chicago, Northwestern, Duke, Columbia, Berkeley and University of Michigan would be top notch choices. From what I've heard about MBAs, certain schools listed here excel specifically in certain areas - such as Wharton (Pennsylvania) being excellent at finance, and Kellogg (Northwestern) being great at marketing.

Though what I've always wondered about JD/MBAs, is that whether it's worth it in the end. It seems to me that in doing both at the same time, you're cutting on:

1) The possibility of internships/clerkships for law.
2) The extent of networking during your MBA.
3) The chances of you doing better in your law courses.

I realize that certain law firms give bonuses to people who possess both a JD and MBA. I'm just doubting whether its worth the effort to do both at the same time. I'm a Canadian student too, so we're both on the same boat here.

inthebeginning

New

Post by inthebeginning » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Besides NWU (great 3 yr program) and Columbia (both 3 and 4 yr programs), it looks like you can see how you do 1L and then apply if you feel you still want it.

igo2northwestern

Bronze

Post by igo2northwestern » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:44 pm

For JD/MBA programs:
H (management) & S (entrepreneurship) > P (finance) > Chicago > NU (marketing)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

icandiee

New

Post by icandiee » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:47 pm

PowderedWater wrote:Pretty much what Nova said. I would figure that (other than the obvious Harvard and Stanford) University of Pennsylvania, University of Chicago, Northwestern, Duke, Columbia, Berkeley and University of Michigan would be top notch choices. From what I've heard about MBAs, certain schools listed here excel specifically in certain areas - such as Wharton (Pennsylvania) being excellent at finance, and Kellogg (Northwestern) being great at marketing.

Though what I've always wondered about JD/MBAs, is that whether it's worth it in the end. It seems to me that in doing both at the same time, you're cutting on:

1) The possibility of internships/clerkships for law.
2) The extent of networking during your MBA.
3) The chances of you doing better in your law courses.

I realize that certain law firms give bonuses to people who possess both a JD and MBA. I'm just doubting whether its worth the effort to do both at the same time. I'm a Canadian student too, so we're both on the same boat here.
Hmm...well I read in some threads in this forum where some law firms question what your intentions are if you have a JD and MBA because you can go either way really, but I also read where it's also helpful for corporate law because it gives you some insight on how your clients think and like some business background, which could be helpful when working on cases. But I originally wanted a JD and MBA since I wasn't sure which route I really wanted to go, and I also have to think in the long term and not just focus on the short term, so I thought I could try to get both and like see what the results are. Plus by going for both at the same time, it definitely saves you a ton of schooling instead of getting it separately..like if you changed your mind. But then again if you don't like one part of the JD/MBA I guess it could be useless at the same time.
But when getting accepted to the double degree, apparently first year is focused on Law and then 2nd year is focused on Business and then 3rd and 4th are a combo of both.
I guess I'm just exploring my options and also preparing for the future while I'm in UG (:

PowderedWater

New

Post by PowderedWater » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Same here. For a while now I've been debating with myself over the possibility of me applying for a JD/MBA program. What with MBAs being more and more in demand in the business world, I can't help but realize that somewhere down the line, I'm going to need to get one.

Hopefully someone who is actually doing a JD/MBA could let us know what it's like.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”