LSAC forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Adam Banks

LSAC forum

Postby Adam Banks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:37 pm

Is it worth attending, or a waste of time?

PaulKriske

Re: LSAC forum

Postby PaulKriske » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:51 pm

waste of time.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Abisping wrote:Is it worth attending, or a waste of time?

Depends. I went before I'd discovered TLS and didn't know much about the admissions process. It was helpful listening to the sessions to get a sense of what they are looking for.

Also got to meet a few AdComms and networked well. A couple of them mentioned the meeting in acceptance letters. They were target/safeties so I don't think it made a difference in getting in, but it was nice to know they had put a name to a face to a file. Perhaps it could help in a borderline case.

If, however, you are well versed on the process and know where you want to apply, it likely isn't worth it if you have to travel any more than across town.

Adam Banks

Postby Adam Banks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:26 pm

I only live a few minutes from where the forum is held.

Do you think it's worth checking out then since its not an inconvenience?

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Abisping wrote:I only live a few minutes from where the forum is held.

So long as it doesn't cost anything but time, why not?

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:12 pm

Abisping wrote:I only live a few minutes from where the forum is held.

For sure. Skip the sessions, and just talk to the representatives of the various schools. Think of something to ask them that wouldn't be in their informational materials. I got a lot of valuable information specific to my circumstances that I wouldn't have gotten without going in person.

I appreciated being able to pick up the booklets on each school I was interested in, since I hate reading things on computers more than is necessary.

Dress business-casually.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:12 pm

I got a couple fee waivers last year by asking law school reps. I think it's worth attending.

Skip the sessions.

alalaw

Postby alalaw » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:05 am

What about T14 reps? (for schools that bother to send them). Are they harder to talk to (with everyone rushing their tables)?
Is it a faux pas to discuss your stats?

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:55 am

alalaw wrote:What about T14 reps? (for schools that bother to send them). Are they harder to talk to (with everyone rushing their tables)?

T14 is just a TLS thing. Other than Yale/Harvard/Stanford/LocalSchools, most of the time there are no lines anywhere. Pretty much all schools showed up to the one I went to.

I wouldn't recommend talking about your stats, since you can read their brochures if you want to see the numbers of the students they accept. If you just want an excuse to make small talk with the school representatives, that's fine then.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 am

alalaw wrote:What about T14 reps? (for schools that bother to send them). Are they harder to talk to (with everyone rushing their tables)?

If there's a school you really want to go to (t14 or not) definitely make sure to talk to the rep. I won't say it'll help your chances of admission or anything, but it's worth it. I chatted with the dean of one school and mentioned the conversation in my Why X essay to that school.

And like JDizzle said, you can get fee waivers.

jstacks

Postby jstacks » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:11 pm

If I live 3-4 hours away from the nearest forum, should I skip it?

westie25

Postby westie25 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:07 pm

I'm going to the one in Chicago, and I live 5 hours away. I want the opportunity to speak to the law school reps. For me, it's worth it for that opportunity.

PowderedWater

Postby PowderedWater » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:07 pm

I'm thinking of attending the session over at Toronto. Not as far as westie's trip to Chicago, but about 3 hours or so from Montreal (which the LSAC never even touches). It seems worth it.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:09 pm

As someone who went to one and had a positive experience overall, I think a 3 hour trip is really pushing it and it definitely wouldn't be worth a 4-5 hour trip.

westie25

Postby westie25 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:38 am

JDizzle2015 wrote:As someone who went to one and had a positive experience overall, I think a 3 hour trip is really pushing it and it definitely wouldn't be worth a 4-5 hour trip.

Could you elaborate? I'm trying to figure out how it can only be a positive experience for someone who live less than 3 hours away. I know it's going to take more time to get there and to get home, but that seems to be par for the course for anyone who doesn't live really close to a major metropolitan area - traveling to get to an event because they only hit mega or centrally located markets. Thanks!

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:58 pm

Just a personal, arguably unjustified, unwillingness towards doing anything that takes longer to get to than the duration of the actual event; I don't see how you could spend more than 3 hours at a LSAC forum. Even getting into extra-law school interests like comparing notes on restaurants and fantasy football with adcomms, I was there for about 2 and a half hours and was able to hit 12 of the T14s and the strong regionals.

You need to get there early (like around the time it starts) because by lunch time a lot of the reps are noticeably more cranky and you only get a minute or so with them since lines will develop. Keep in mind that they've been answering the same 6 or 7 questions over and over again. It's just not as enjoyable as the first hour or two of the forum, imo.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:47 pm

westie25 wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:As someone who went to one and had a positive experience overall, I think a 3 hour trip is really pushing it and it definitely wouldn't be worth a 4-5 hour trip.

Could you elaborate? I'm trying to figure out how it can only be a positive experience for someone who live less than 3 hours away. I know it's going to take more time to get there and to get home, but that seems to be par for the course for anyone who doesn't live really close to a major metropolitan area - traveling to get to an event because they only hit mega or centrally located markets. Thanks!

The forum is marginally useful to you, but the time and money spent going there are costs to you. Because the forum is only of marginal use, if it is far away from you then it is not worth it. The costs exceed the benefits.

Now, if you want to look at it as the first law school event you ever go to, then that could make it more worth it. I got a kick out of being surrounded by future lawyers for the first time. Unfortunately you don't socialize much with the fellow pre-laws there.

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:46 am

JDizzle2015 wrote:I got a couple fee waivers last year by asking law school reps. I think it's worth attending.

Skip the sessions.

This might be a silly question, but how exactly did you ask for a fee waiver? I'm not sure what to say...

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:07 am

^
"I'm interested in applying to your school, but law school applications are fairly expensive for me. Do you have fee waivers available?"

You might have to specifically ask about merit based waivers (and be ready to give them your numbers) since they'll likely direct need-based inquires to LSAC's fee waiver process.

Keep up-to-date with each law school's social media accounts (twitter/facebook). AdComm can be pretty active and give fee waivers/tips through their social media accounts. Last cycle, UofChicago tweeted fee waiver questions so that if you could provide the answer at their forum table, you'd get a waiver. I'm pretty sure there were other schools which did similar things.

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:33 am

JDizzle2015 wrote:^
"I'm interested in applying to your school, but law school applications are fairly expensive for me. Do you have fee waivers available?"

You might have to specifically ask about merit based waivers (and be ready to give them your numbers) since they'll likely direct need-based inquires to LSAC's fee waiver process.

Keep up-to-date with each law school's social media accounts (twitter/facebook). AdComm can be pretty active and give fee waivers/tips through their social media accounts. Last cycle, UofChicago tweeted fee waiver questions so that if you could provide the answer at their forum table, you'd get a waiver. I'm pretty sure there were other schools which did similar things.

Thanks for this - super helpful.

What if my numbers put me as a "Deny" or "Weak Consider" at a given school on LSP? Would it be a waste of time to ask them for a waiver? Or is there a chance they might give me one for selectivity boost?

PaulKriske

Postby PaulKriske » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:52 am

i was 'deny' on lsp for a T14. I hit a 170+ (still listed as 'deny') on the LSAT, got a fee waiver, and was admitted.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:45 pm

This is me NOT making another post about the same thing, but I had a stupid question to ask.

I searched TLS about LSAC forums and it seems the advice is basically go if it's close (check for me, NYC) and just skip the info sessions and talk to adcomms. People suggest asking GOOD questions, but at the same time say that if you browse TLS nothing is going to be new.

So what is considered a good question to ask?

I'm interested in CLS NYU and lower t14, and will *hopefully* be competitive.

Any thoughts? I've been to CLS and NYU, seen the campus, read their sites, read TLS about them.

And do you think they actually give fee waivers?

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:08 pm

bump dead thread pleasseeee new question see above

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:27 pm

toothbrush wrote:This is me NOT making another post about the same thing, but I had a stupid question to ask.

I searched TLS about LSAC forums and it seems the advice is basically go if it's close (check for me, NYC) and just skip the info sessions and talk to adcomms. People suggest asking GOOD questions, but at the same time say that if you browse TLS nothing is going to be new.

So what is considered a good question to ask?

I'm interested in CLS NYU and lower t14, and will *hopefully* be competitive.

Any thoughts? I've been to CLS and NYU, seen the campus, read their sites, read TLS about them.

And do you think they actually give fee waivers?

I can see that you've spent a lot of time doing research and gone above and beyond in visiting the schools and perusing TLS. Are you asking if it would be a waste of time to go spend a few more hours standing in a room and being pitched a bunch of TTTs while you already know which law schools that you're pretty set on attending? My answer to that questions would be: Probably.

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:00 am

jstacks wrote:If I live 3-4 hours away from the nearest forum, should I skip it?

No. Drop everything and GO NOW!

Return to “Law School FAQ”