Why should I be worried about debt when there is IBR? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
admisionquestion

Bronze

Re: Why should I be worried about debt when there is IBR?

Post by admisionquestion » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Clearly people DO misundstand IBR.

THen you are either claiming people misunderstand the way hospital incontinence systems work OR you are claiming they DO understand them...

in either case the link is not well established and it is making me mad :)

Not sure why its making me as mad as it is...

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:01 pm

admisionquestion wrote:I dont mean to overreact, but I fail to see how complaints with a poorly designed (or so it seems) safety net for student debt, translates into an pro conservative discussion on medical care...
I think you're misconstruing IAFG's analogy. One of the arguments for "Obamacare" is the "free rider" system-- Hospitals have to provide emergency care, and if the patient can't pay then taxpayers pick up the tab.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Colonel Angus wrote:
IAFG wrote:
rayiner wrote:This is why we can't have nice things (like safety nets). Because stupid fuckwads use it as carte blanche to make stupid fuckwad decisions.
"Since hospitals have to provide emergency treatment, imma skip the helmet on my motorcycle!"
Don't knock this line of reasoning, you may need a liver or other vital organ someday.
This is so non-responsive to the issue of safety net abusers that I don't even know where to start. Organ transplants are not covered by mandatory emergency care statutes. Needing a transplant generally has nothing to do with assuming emergency treatment will cover you. I have health insurance and thanks to ObamaCare/my husband/my job I almost certainly always will.

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:03 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
admisionquestion wrote: @darwinism comment, THAT IS NOT DARWINISM. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DARWINISM. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW SPECIES EVOLVE OUT OF OTHER SPECIES OVER TIME. IT HAS TO DO WITH STUPID PEOPLE DYING. It does not indicate if these same stupid people had ample time to procreate prior... For all you know this system of extra fun ski time is causually linked to them being MORE LIKELY to have unprotected sex the night before...
Outed as never having heard of social darwinism.

"Darwinism at its best" does not imply a discussion of social Darwinism.

What does this have to do with social Darwinism?

Neither Spencer or Galton's talk of SD is supported by your example...

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:04 pm

rayiner wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:can someone explain the tax bomb thing to me...

not going to be using IBR, so dont beat me up for not knowing, just curious.
If your IBR payments don't cover your accrued interest, it will continue to accrue (it will not, however, be capitalized--under IBR federal loans are simple interest). At the end of the period you'll owe like $500k. When that's forgiven it will count as income and will generate a $200k tax bill.
you can declare bankruptcy on the tax bill.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SuperCerealBrah

Bronze

Post by SuperCerealBrah » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:I dont mean to overreact, but I fail to see how complaints with a poorly designed (or so it seems) safety net for student debt, translates into an pro conservative discussion on medical care...
I think you're misconstruing IAFG's analogy. One of the arguments for "Obamacare" is the "free rider" system-- Hospitals have to provide emergency care, and if the patient can't pay then taxpayers pick up the tab.

Emergency rooms providing free care isn't an Obamacare thing. Hospitals have always been required by law to treat patients in the emergency room.

Edit: nevermind, I misconstrued YOUR argument lol I get what your saying now. Yes, true.
Last edited by SuperCerealBrah on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Angus

New

Post by Colonel Angus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 pm

admisionquestion wrote:Clearly people DO misundstand IBR.

THen you are either claiming people misunderstand the way hospital incontinence systems work OR you are claiming they DO understand them...

in either case the link is not well established and it is making me mad :)

Not sure why its making me as mad as it is...
All she is saying is people see a safety net and use it a am excuse to do stupid shit, like go to a bad law school at sticker, or ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:05 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:

Yes, thats a complaint with an incontinence based system... how does it relate to the comments about IBR?

other than that in both cases some risk is distributed...

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:07 pm

kapachino wrote:IBR is subject to change, which a lot of people tend to forget. The thing about taking on so much debt and counting on IBR is that your financial life will be shit until IBR takes effect, if it indeed stays as it is when you sign up for it. It's not a good way to start out. Are you interested in doing PI? If so, there are two programs that could help you: LRAP (if your school has it) and PSFL. I'd look into those and then decide if taking on a mountain of debt is worth it.
I am matriculating this year. If I strike out at OCI I'm planning to use the IBR program for the rest of my life. From the research I've done it's virtually impossible that the government will remove IBR retroactively

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:07 pm

admisionquestion wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
admisionquestion wrote: @darwinism comment, THAT IS NOT DARWINISM. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DARWINISM. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW SPECIES EVOLVE OUT OF OTHER SPECIES OVER TIME. IT HAS TO DO WITH STUPID PEOPLE DYING. It does not indicate if these same stupid people had ample time to procreate prior... For all you know this system of extra fun ski time is causually linked to them being MORE LIKELY to have unprotected sex the night before...

Dude, you need to learn how to calm down. All anyone was saying was that people who go into law school knowing that they have no intention of actually paying their debt ruin the system for the rest of us. Yes, there should be tighter controls on how much debt schools can lard onto their students, but until then, gaming the system is not the solution.

Also, I, and no one else, ITT mentioned anything about conservative politics. I'm a flaming gay card-carrying liberal and Obama voter, so get that political trolling out of here.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:07 pm

admisionquestion wrote:One safety net is bad, so they all are?
or to be more generous are you saying, "because people misunderstand one safety net and make bad decisions they will do so with all safety nets..."
Nobody is saying safety nets are bad. I'm saying that people like the OP who plan on abusing the safety net to get a degree in "Law and Finger Painting" from a third-tier toilet make it harder for us to adopt safety nets for people who really need it.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
rayiner wrote:

If your IBR payments don't cover your accrued interest, it will continue to accrue (it will not, however, be capitalized--under IBR federal loans are simple interest). At the end of the period you'll owe like $500k. When that's forgiven it will count as income and will generate a $200k tax bill.
The reason to fear debt is that it will ruin your financial life. Paying IBR for 25 years then declaring bankruptcy at what should be the peak of your earning years (with a healthy start on retirement savings) sounds like financial ruin to me. If it sounds good to you, go for it bro.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:10 pm

The motorcycle analogy seems particularly apt. If you end up needing the safety net, you're still going to take a fucking punishment

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Colonel Angus

New

Post by Colonel Angus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:10 pm

IAFG wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
IAFG wrote:
rayiner wrote:This is why we can't have nice things (like safety nets). Because stupid fuckwads use it as carte blanche to make stupid fuckwad decisions.
"Since hospitals have to provide emergency treatment, imma skip the helmet on my motorcycle!"
Don't knock this line of reasoning, you may need a liver or other vital organ someday.
This is so non-responsive to the issue of safety net abusers that I don't even know where to start. Organ transplants are not covered by mandatory emergency care statutes. Needing a transplant generally has nothing to do with assuming emergency treatment will cover you. I have health insurance and thanks to ObamaCare/my husband/my job I almost certainly always will.
Yep, I just meant it as far as head injuries = available organs

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Tell you what, you do the research on this one. The IRS loves to let people discharge their tax bills, it is so easy that everyone does it! Have fun trolling someone else.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:11 pm

IAFG wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
rayiner wrote:

The reason to fear debt is that it will ruin your financial life. Paying IBR for 25 years then declaring bankruptcy at what should be the peak of your earning years (with a healthy start on retirement savings) sounds like financial ruin to me. If it sounds good to you, go for it bro.
I'm not saying its a good thing, honestly it will suck, but I just see so many people in the "Choosing a Law School forum" scaring people about "debt pwnage", which is not possible under IBR as the government takes care of your debt for you, and the tax bill is going to be dischargeable. You will end up not paying any of the debt.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:13 pm

admisionquestion wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:

Yes, thats a complaint with an incontinence based system... how does it relate to the comments about IBR?

other than that in both cases some risk is distributed...
The point is that people who use the safety net as insurance for high-risk choices are fuckwads.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:13 pm

IAFG wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:
IAFG wrote:
woooooosh

The joke is that those people not wearing helmets will be more likely to die, thus supplying organs for transplant.

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:14 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

Dude, you need to learn how to calm down. All anyone was saying was that people who go into law school knowing that they have no intention of actually paying their debt ruin the system for the rest of us. Yes, there should be tighter controls on how much debt schools can lard onto their students, but until then, gaming the system is not the solution.

Also, I, and no one else, ITT mentioned anything about conservative politics. I'm a flaming gay card-carrying liberal and Obama voter, so get that political trolling out of here.

Okay, I accept that nobody is TRYING to attack safety nets.

I just get super annoyed when people make egregious leaps in reasoning about incentives (something american conservatives have become very good at doing effectively)

I fail to see ANY evidence that providing free medical care (ER care especially) leads to people being more risk prone. The argument is still being made implicitly that the willingness of people to "Game" a purely financial decision is somehow analogous to people being more "risky" in a decision that is not purely financial. This sort of wiping away of real world facts (people dont like breaking legs) leads to misconstrued arguments against perfectly good insurance/risk distribution systems...

[its also the same type of reasoning that when pushed leads to crazy conclusions about the laffer curve...]

I've calmed down and admit i was being a spazz about everything besides the darwinism comment...that comment is still really stupid.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:

I'm not saying its a good thing, honestly it will suck, but I just see so many people in the "Choosing a Law School forum" scaring people about "debt pwnage", which is not possible under IBR as the government takes care of your debt for you, and the tax bill is going to be dischargeable. You will end up not paying any of the debt.
1) you still repay some of the debt (on the basis of your income)

2) the above is exactly the "debt pwnage" we describe. Now you know.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:18 pm

IAFG wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:

1) you still repay some of the debt (on the basis of your income)

2) the above is exactly the "debt pwnage" we describe. Now you know.
+1. I mean, everyone ITT has basically been telling you that IBR is tantamount to total financial ruin. It guarantees that you will not be financially solvent until after you turn 50. How is that not "debt pwnage"?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:18 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote: I'm not saying its a good thing, honestly it will suck, but I just see so many people in the "Choosing a Law School forum" scaring people about "debt pwnage", which is not possible under IBR as the government takes care of your debt for you, and the tax bill is going to be dischargeable. You will end up not paying any of the debt.
You're gonna pay back most of the principal in your lifetime even with IBR payments. So, even if you can avoid the tax-bomb through bankruptcy (lol), intending to use IBR like this is retarded. The government's not fucking stupid. They know how to do math.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:18 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:I'm not saying its a good thing, honestly it will suck, but I just see so many people in the "Choosing a Law School forum" scaring people about "debt pwnage", which is not possible under IBR as the government takes care of your debt for you, and the tax bill is going to be dischargeable. You will end up not paying any of the debt.
What about IBR doesn't sound like debt pwnage?
Mr. Somebody wrote:From the research I've done it's virtually impossible that the government will remove IBR retroactively
Apparently, you haven't done the research showing that a large and growing contingency in Congress is willing to remove just about anything in the name of budget cuts and deficit reduction. And if it comes to that, I won't feel any trepidation about removing IBR from idiots who think a 25-year bankruptcy is NBD.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Samara wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:I'm not saying its a good thing, honestly it will suck, but I just see so many people in the "Choosing a Law School forum" scaring people about "debt pwnage", which is not possible under IBR as the government takes care of your debt for you, and the tax bill is going to be dischargeable. You will end up not paying any of the debt.
Mr. Somebody wrote:From the research I've done it's virtually impossible that the government will remove IBR retroactively
Apparently, you haven't done the research showing that a large and growing contingency in Congress is willing to remove just about anything in the name of budget cuts and deficit reduction. And if it comes to that, I won't feel any trepidation about removing IBR from idiots who think a 25-year bankruptcy is NBD.
It is actually closer to 28 or 30 years. You can't discharge taxes in bankruptcy until 3 years after they have been filed. And the IRS has other recourse if they get liens in before you file. etc.

Also, IBR is only two years old this month, if you think IBR has become so entrenched that the American public (esp. boomers) won't want it repealed, you are mistaken.
Last edited by sunynp on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:21 pm

sunynp wrote:
Samara wrote:
It is actually closer to 28 or 30 years. You can't discharge taxes in bankruptcy until 3 years after they have been filed. And the IRS has other recourse if they get liens in before you file. etc.
TYFT I didn't want to speculate on how long that takes and didn't feel like trying to figure it out. 25 years is scary enough to me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”