Should the # of law schools be capped at 50 were it possible Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Should the # of law schools be capped at 50 were it possible?

Yes
50%
No
32%
F___ Y__
11%
Why?
5%
WITIDEven...
2%

Total votes: 242

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Re: Should the # of law schools be capped at 50 were it possible

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:58 am

Tom Joad wrote:Shifty, could you give us a long paragraph about how you hate poors?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:58 am

Tom Joad wrote:Shifty, could you give us a long paragraph about how you hate poors?
I don't hate poors. Just Buicks.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:00 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
I'm assuming that since she lives in Houston that she is a poor.

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:00 am

tfleming09 wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I don't hate poors. Just Buicks.
I had to re-read this, because I thought the end part said "just blacks", which wouldn't have been cool

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:00 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
TITCR

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:02 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
TITCR
Do you drink lean, wear a grill, and listen to DJ SCREW?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote: Do you drink lean, wear a grill, and listen to DJ SCREW?
I do drink this

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 am

tfleming09 wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:I don't hate poors. Just Buicks.
I had to re-read this, because I thought the end part said "just blacks", which would have been good lols

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:05 am

shifty_eyed wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote: Do you drink lean, wear a grill, and listen to DJ SCREW?
I do drink this
purple drank in a bottle. How quaint.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:46 am

Came here to post WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Please see lbj's speech in 1965 following the passing of the higher education act n shit to understand why we fund stuff at all. It's certainly partly to do with employment but more so is simply a matter of perpetuating our nation's values. In the other thread I quoted relevant parts (on the phone now) --shit about not being the boss of others. Stafford loans cover more than just shitty law schools --they cover super shitty humanities masters too; as I've stated before, the only reason you people seem to want to close some lesser law schools is because of the DEUTUKARJOBS mentality which is fucked. There is no evidence that the prestige of lawyers from upper echilon law schools is under siege...Fleming laughs at the Bar requirements, but indeed, if they're allowing incompetent lawyers to become certified, take issue with the test.
You people are assholes if you want to close schools

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:41 pm

ru2486 wrote:Came here to post WORKERS academic institutions OF THE WORLD UNITE

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:45 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Please see lbj's speech in 1965 following the passing of the higher education act n shit to understand why we fund stuff at all. It's certainly partly to do with employment but more so is simply a matter of perpetuating our nation's values. In the other thread I quoted relevant parts (on the phone now) --shit about not being the boss of others. Stafford loans cover more than just shitty law schools --they cover super shitty humanities masters too; as I've stated before, the only reason you people seem to want to close some lesser law schools is because of the DEUTUKARJOBS mentality which is fucked. There is no evidence that the prestige of lawyers from upper echilon law schools is under siege...Fleming laughs at the Bar requirements, but indeed, if they're allowing incompetent lawyers to become certified, take issue with the test.
I just want to close the shitty law schools so there is more land to build burger kings. aint no goddamn burger kings anywhere anymore

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HBBJohnStamos

Bronze

Post by HBBJohnStamos » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:16 pm

polkij333 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:Please see lbj's speech in 1965 following the passing of the higher education act n shit to understand why we fund stuff at all. It's certainly partly to do with employment but more so is simply a matter of perpetuating our nation's values. In the other thread I quoted relevant parts (on the phone now) --shit about not being the boss of others. Stafford loans cover more than just shitty law schools --they cover super shitty humanities masters too; as I've stated before, the only reason you people seem to want to close some lesser law schools is because of the DEUTUKARJOBS mentality which is fucked. There is no evidence that the prestige of lawyers from upper echilon law schools is under siege...Fleming laughs at the Bar requirements, but indeed, if they're allowing incompetent lawyers to become certified, take issue with the test.
I just want to close the shitty law schools so there is more land to build burger kingsDiscovery Zones. aint no goddamn burger kingsDiscovery Zones anywhere anymore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33QpqR-fN0c

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:18 pm

I totes forgot about DZ.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I totes forgot about DZ.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
manofjustice wrote:The system is a bit rigged against the middle class.
You don't say?
the middle class is far too big as it is. Do we really need more people driving buicks?
Pretty sure it is 20% of the population, same as its always been, since 'the middle class' refers to the middle quintile of household income.

Also, the long law school poast was good but missed cutting Elon out of NC

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:23 pm

tfleming09 wrote: NC Keep: Duke, UNC, NC Central
NC Gone: Wake, Campbell, Charlotte

Tell me more.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:26 am

laxbrah420 wrote:Please see lbj's speech in 1965 following the passing of the higher education act n shit to understand why we fund stuff at all. It's certainly partly to do with employment but more so is simply a matter of perpetuating our nation's values.
The value of supposedly ethical people to entice naive people deeply into consumer debt for goods of questionable value?

Edit: Responding to OP, we should probably

1) Cap all law schools at 250 students per class. Canada has the same # of schools per capita yet almost none of their schools have a class size of over 250.

2) Close 100 law schools except the top 20 national schools and 80 more "state" schools. We will allow 1 low-cost law school in most states and 2-4 in major markets+DC, in order of cost/job prospects (so I'm thinking in NYC CUNY gets the nod over NYLS, Touro, St. Johns, Hofstra).

3) In order to get federal funds, any law school that can place 90% of its class in FT/JD required with 75% of those employed in High status legal employment for 3/5 years will be allowed federal loans subject of a cap at 45K per student. All other schools will have their federal loans capped at 10-20K depending on state. All private student loans will be outlawed and law schools subject to stiff penalties for any whiff of trying to get students to put tuition and fee increases on their CCs.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:47 am

We need more McDonalds, not law schools.

--ImageRemoved--

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:50 am

Limiting competition in a capitalist society is an interesting thought. Sure way to stagnate the already stodgy profession. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:52 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Limiting competition in a capitalist society is an interesting thought. Sure way to stagnate the already stodgy profession. :D
Quick, someone tell the AMA they need 200 med schools cranking out twice as many med students as there are residencies!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:03 am

Knew that this type of comment was coming. Med schools are very expensive--unlike law schools which are profit centers. Also, med schools complain about a shortage of cadavers.

Canada is experiencing a shortage of articling positions for law grads, but medical residencies are probably a bit more complex regarding requirements.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:09 am

An approach to limiting oversupply of lawyers would be to make law schools less profitable by eliminating government funding & loan guarantees except for the neediest students & by making student loan debt once again dischargeable in bankruptcy.

But simply artificially eliminating or limiting competition would produce undesirable results such as stagnation & overpriced lawyers which might result in businesses moving out of the country to more friendly business environments.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:40 am

CanadianWolf wrote:An approach to limiting oversupply of lawyers would be to make law schools less profitable by eliminating government funding & loan guarantees except for the neediest students & by making student loan debt once again dischargeable in bankruptcy.

But simply artificially eliminating or limiting competition would produce undesirable results such as stagnation & overpriced lawyers which might result in businesses moving out of the country to more friendly business environments.
If you haven't noticed, there has been a large oversupply of law graduates (and yes, Virginia, most of them take the bar) for some time now and prices/access have not gotten better for consumers. That's because the legal market is a tad more complex than an Econ 101 hypo and a simple SUPPLY > DEMAND = LOWER PRICES! doesn't really apply.

We're not limiting competition for the sake of limiting competition. We're limiting the number of law schools because a shitload of law schools produce way more graduates than there are legal jobs and leave them with a pile of debt, and because this isn't very good for the reputation of the profession as a whole even though it serves the interest of law professors quite well.
CanadianWolf wrote:Knew that this type of comment was coming. Med schools are very expensive--unlike law schools which are profit centers. Also, med schools complain about a shortage of cadavers.

Canada is experiencing a shortage of articling positions for law grads, but medical residencies are probably a bit more complex regarding requirements.
It's irrelevant whether they are profit centers for universities. Universities should not be allowed to enrich themselves off the backs of students who aren't even getting employment in their field and from taxpayer backed loans.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”