Need advice on getting undergad transcript adjusted

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
danelhombre

Need advice on getting undergad transcript adjusted

Postby danelhombre » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:24 pm

I failed a couple of classes in undergrad and later retook them, so my school doesnt calculate them into my GPA. They are still on my transcript though, so the LSAC is going to factor them in, dropping my GPA (not insignificantly either - it will put me below a 3.0). I sent an email requesting help to the petition office at my former school and was denied. I then sent a request to the dean of the school, also denied.

Has anyone had success getting their undergrad school to delete failed and retaken classes from their transcript and/or denote their failed classes as non-punitive? If my school doesn't calculate them in my GPA, then obviously they view them as non-punitive. Apparently this logic doesn't hold water at my school. I know its a long shot, but there has to be something I can do. Thanks in advance for any advice!

redwings15

Re: Need advice on getting undergad transcript adjusted

Postby redwings15 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:52 pm

retake

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:55 pm

danelhombre wrote:I failed a couple of classes in undergrad and later retook them, so my school doesnt calculate them into my GPA. They are still on my transcript though, so the LSAC is going to factor them in, dropping my GPA (not insignificantly either - it will put me below a 3.0). I sent an email requesting help to the petition office at my former school and was denied. I then sent a request to the dean of the school, also denied.

Has anyone had success getting their undergrad school to delete failed and retaken classes from their transcript and/or denote their failed classes as non-punitive? If my school doesn't calculate them in my GPA, then obviously they view them as non-punitive. Apparently this logic doesn't hold water at my school. I know its a long shot, but there has to be something I can do. Thanks in advance for any advice!

you already tried with your registrar and your dean. keep working your way up the chain - i'd try the board of regents first, then the lieutenant governor.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Honestly, I think your out of luck. The fact that you failed a class, even if you retook it and did better, is probably going to be pretty important for the law schools you apply to, even if your school doesn't think its important.

My best advice for you is to actually call the offices you need to contact instead of sending requests.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:15 pm

You failed classes. Why do you think you deserve to not have those grades count when they count for everyone else?

A few people have had success at getting grades erased, but it's usually for a damn good reason, like severe health problems.

Applying_Late

Postby Applying_Late » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:21 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You failed classes. Why do you think you deserve to not have those grades count when they count for everyone else?

A few people have had success at getting grades erased, but it's usually for a damn good reason, like severe health problems.

If the kid has enough energy to go around changing his grades, more power to him. As far as repeating classes goes, LSAC can be funny. It all depends on whether your schools gives you credit for them. So if you got 0 credits earned for the first class on your transcript, LSAC won't count the grade. To be honest, you did the wrong thing by going to the registrar and the dean. Those are the laziest of administrators who just rubber stamp everything but they would rarely go out of their way to work for you.... The key to your success is to approach the instructor.

And if you want me to be more elaborative, PM me.

danelhombre

Postby danelhombre » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:02 am

rinkrat19 wrote:You failed classes. Why do you think you deserve to not have those grades count when they count for everyone else?

I tried pulling the health card for one class (I was injured in an accident that legitimately took several months to recover from). As for the rest of my subpar GPA, I worked full time (and 50+ hours many weeks) throughout my entire undergrad career.

The point is this: If I dedicated 100's of hours to studying for the LSAT, I think it is more than worth dedicating a couple of hours to trying to get my school to reconcile my transcript, especially with the difference it can make should I have any success. What I think I deserve is irrelevant - this is about doing what I can to improve my odds in an extremely competitive environment.

FreeLPeltier

Postby FreeLPeltier » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:26 pm

The difficulty you are having is by design. The current system has evolved over decades. The reason you are having so much difficulty getting your grades adjusted is that registrars actually believe it is their job to stratify graduates. It doesn’t matter that there is rampant cheating/grade inflation/socio-economic (dis) advantage or legitimate health problems. The only thing that matters is that you committed the societally unforgivable crime of being ill-prepared for a couple of classes.

Stop expecting “them” to be reasonable. A “they” won’t be. Instead, work on developing a strategy that will help you compensate for your perceived shortcomings.

The sooner you accept that the system as it stands was designed to weed you out, the sooner you will be able to devise an effective strategy to “graft yourself back in.”

Return to “Law School FAQ”