Joint JD/MBA

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
emkay625

Joint JD/MBA

Postby emkay625 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:51 pm

This has been debated numerous times, but I want direct feedback.

I am considering getting a JD/MBA. Good idea vs. bad idea?

Specifics:
1. I'm going to UT. The MBA program is strong (#17).
2. I do already have 4 years of work experience. 2 years are teaching, which wouldn't be particularly helpful, but the other 2 are in marketing.
3. I want big law. But in order for that to happen, I realize I probably need to be in the top 20%. This is a scary statistic to me.
4. I would rather take a job in business than be unemployed, which is why adding the MBA is appealing to me.
5. While it would add a 4th year, it would not mean a lot of money. I'm not taking out COL loans (spouse is covering living expenses) and tuition for the MBA program is relatively cheap due to a TFA scholarship.

Thoughts?

ran12

Re: Joint JD/MBA

Postby ran12 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Considering your situation, it's not a bad idea. A lot of JDs end up in business whether it was their original plan or not so might as well have an actual business education. If things work out with your grades, the MBA would be a nice asset to have for corporate law. Lawyers always talk about how it was initially tough for them to understand the business aspects of corporate law bc they don't have that background.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:45 am

ran12 wrote:Considering your situation, it's not a bad idea. A lot of JDs end up in business whether it was their original plan or not so might as well have an actual business education. If things work out with your grades, the MBA would be a nice asset to have for corporate law. Lawyers always talk about how it was initially tough for them to understand the business aspects of corporate law bc they don't have that background.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm thinking about just signing up for the GMAT tomorrow and seeing what happens.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:28 am

The GMAT is pretty easy; no where close to LSAT difficulty. I took only a couple of days to prepare and got over 700 and that was with a bad math score. If you know math or have the time to relearn hs level math then it should be a piece of cake.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:40 am

This is anecdotal but I've heard that a JD/MBA can be a bad idea in some cases. For example, UT is a great law (and business school) but it's not top top notch and because it is not HYS, some big law firms may be skeptical about your commitment to practice law. I've heard that business-jobs (consulting, corporate strategy work, etc) don't really care about the JD in the sense that it wouldn't hurt you but law firms may find the MBA strange UNLESS you plan on working in a very specific area where the MBA could give you an edge. In the case of JD/MBAs from Harvard, Stanford, etc, it seems to be a little different because both degrees are so respected.

Any thoughts? disagree/agree? I've heard this from a few people as I was semi-interested in the JD/MBA but I'm not sure how valid it is in real life.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:51 am

AlanShore wrote:This is anecdotal but I've heard that a JD/MBA can be a bad idea in some cases. For example, UT is a great law (and business school) but it's not top top notch and because it is not HYS, some big law firms may be skeptical about your commitment to practice law. I've heard that business-jobs (consulting, corporate strategy work, etc) don't really care about the JD in the sense that it wouldn't hurt you but law firms may find the MBA strange UNLESS you plan on working in a very specific area where the MBA could give you an edge. In the case of JD/MBAs from Harvard, Stanford, etc, it seems to be a little different because both degrees are so respected.

Any thoughts? disagree/agree? I've heard this from a few people as I was semi-interested in the JD/MBA but I'm not sure how valid it is in real life.

This is true to an extent. JD/MBA is seen as a flight risk esp. b/c a JD is more valuable in business than a MBA in law. However, there are firms that reward you for getting the MBA with better compensation, like a 25k signon bonus. For corporate law, I think it def helps because you can better understand what the client is thinking. It's not uncommon for corporate lawyers to get a MBA part time to help them with legal work. Every case is different but for OP's situation, I don't see much downside if she's aiming for corporate law.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:54 am

Many law firms pay a bit more for JD/MBA degree holders while some others award advanced standing (this was discussed at length in a TLS thread a month or two ago). I cannot think of any situation in which having both degrees would be harmful to your career whereas it should help when dealing with business clients--especially if planning to leave biglaw, for example, after a few years to work as in-house counsel. This would help establish yourself as a business advisor in addition to being a legal advisor. It always helps to speak & understand another "language", in my opinion, especially if it's the language of your clients or employer.

OP: Because you already have several years of post-college work experience, you should benefit greatly from an MBA.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:04 am

ran12 wrote:The GMAT is pretty easy; no where close to LSAT difficulty. I took only a couple of days to prepare and got over 700 and that was with a bad math score. If you know math or have the time to relearn hs level math then it should be a piece of cake.

I'm a math teacher so I'm pretty excited about the math section. More worried about the verbal section....

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:49 am

emkay625 wrote:
ran12 wrote:The GMAT is pretty easy; no where close to LSAT difficulty. I took only a couple of days to prepare and got over 700 and that was with a bad math score. If you know math or have the time to relearn hs level math then it should be a piece of cake.

I'm a math teacher so I'm pretty excited about the math section. More worried about the verbal section....

verbal section is easier than lsat so if you did reasonably well on the lsat, you'll have no problem. they did add a new section to the gmat now-- there's only 1 essay and now a 30 min "integrated reasoning" section which involves interpreting charts and graphs and things like that.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:07 pm

AlanShore wrote:This is anecdotal but I've heard that a JD/MBA can be a bad idea in some cases. For example, UT is a great law (and business school) but it's not top top notch and because it is not HYS, some big law firms may be skeptical about your commitment to practice law. I've heard that business-jobs (consulting, corporate strategy work, etc) don't really care about the JD in the sense that it wouldn't hurt you but law firms may find the MBA strange UNLESS you plan on working in a very specific area where the MBA could give you an edge. In the case of JD/MBAs from Harvard, Stanford, etc, it seems to be a little different because both degrees are so respected.

JD/MBA from Penn if you want to do corporate/transactional law: DEAL OR NO DEAL?

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:13 pm

JD/MBA from Penn is 100x different than from UT. Your options from JD/MBA from Penn would give you a decent chance at something better than big law. But, JD/MBA from UT doesn't have nearly the same prestige. UT has a "good" business school, but its also not M7. Non-M7 schools have significantly less potential to get higher paying jobs than 160k whereas M7 schools have more.

Return to “Law School FAQ”