Gun and knife laws in NYC

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JCFindley

Gun and knife laws in NYC

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:27 pm

OK, maybe this is a lounge Q but it is related to me moving to NYC for LS.....

Being a good southern boy and ex military I have somewhat of an affinity for firearms and higher end knives. Can anyone link me to the local and state statutes and any advice or war stories? (I will not violate the laws of course which is why I need to know what they are.)

Thanks,

JC

dextermorgan

Re: Gun and knife laws in NYC

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:30 pm

http://handgunlaw.us/

http://www.nyfirearms.com/blog/nys-gun-laws/

I would recommend leaving them at home if you can. NYC isn't a very gun friendly city.

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:35 pm

What kind of knives do you like? I have a lower end CRKT knife that i love.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:40 pm

dextermorgan wrote:http://handgunlaw.us/

I would recommend leaving them at home if you can. NYC isn't a very gun friendly city.

I am old, there is no home.....

I figured my pistol will simply go away down here but several of my rifles have more sentimental value. One was given to my dad when he retired from the Navy long ago and I have my son's 30-30 that he got for his 13th birthday and I have a shotgun that I got on mine.....

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:42 pm

When I moved here, I considered keeping a single handgun after selling off a small arsenal. But the nearly $600 application fee to have a permit to keep it in your house dissuaded me.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:47 pm

roaringeagle wrote:What kind of knives do you like? I have a lower end CRKT knife that i love.

Columbia River makes a nice knife.....

I have a collection of Emersons to meet various state statutes. DC considers any knife under 3 inches as a tool and they can be legally carried without violating weapons laws so I have a couple under 3" for here....

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Renzo wrote:When I moved here, I considered keeping a single handgun after selling off a small arsenal. But the nearly $600 application fee to have a permit to keep it in your house dissuaded me.

That is my feeling on the handguns as well..... I have lived in NYC but I had a federally issued pistol and badge at the time so it wasn't a factor....

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:07 pm

You know you could just break the law and if you ever actually needed to use a gun it would be worth whatever consequences you faced.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:10 pm

That's bullshit. No tax paying American citizen should have to leave his gun anywhere besides the gun rack in his truck.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:13 pm

AreJay711 wrote:You know you could just break the law and if you ever actually needed to use a gun it would be worth whatever consequences you faced.

Not really worth it when it comes to handguns.... You really can't legally carry one in the City and in the house I would just as well have a shotgun or rifle anyway..... Now, knife wise, I prefer to have one with me but won't break the law to do it.....

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Tom Joad wrote:

That's bullshit. No tax paying American citizen should have to leave his gun anywhere besides the gun rack in his truck.

I completely agree but my wife refuses to live in Texas....

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:15 pm

Live on the NJ side of the Hudson. Slightly more lax gun laws and cheaper COL.

EDIT: Or just not in NYC.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:22 pm

superbloom wrote:Live on the NJ side of the Hudson. Slightly more lax gun laws and cheaper COL.

EDIT: Or just not in NYC.

Ya know, not a bad idea and exactly why I lived in VA down here and not MD or DC....

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:24 pm

JCFindley wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:You know you could just break the law and if you ever actually needed to use a gun it would be worth whatever consequences you faced.

Not really worth it when it comes to handguns.... You really can't legally carry one in the City and in the house I would just as well have a shotgun or rifle anyway..... Now, knife wise, I prefer to have one with me but won't break the law to do it.....

Probably. A handgun still might be better in a small place. I know my hallway is too small to really get a rifle turned around holding it level. And it is super low probability to ever be an issue unless you use it.

2012JayDee

Postby 2012JayDee » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:24 pm

JCFindley wrote:OK, maybe this is a lounge Q but it is related to me moving to NYC for LS.....

Being a good southern boy and ex military I have somewhat of an affinity for firearms and higher end knives. Can anyone link me to the local and state statutes and any advice or war stories? (I will not violate the laws of course which is why I need to know what they are.)

Thanks,

JC

NY State handgun/pistol laws do not apply to NYC
A permit from a county other than NY county/NYC is not valid for a carry in the city. The counties also vary in how they issue. In Westchester co., (which is supposedly one of the easier counties to get approved) for example it's a 6 month wait and if you're denied you can appeal, but they hold the fact that you were denied the first time, against your appeal. Even if you were denied w/o cause. Also your application has to go before a judge within 6 months but if it goes dead that is considered a denial even if it's due to an administrative issue--very sneaky! You also have to have 4 character references that live in the county that can verify you're a good person.

For NYC there is a small line on the application that simply states "reason needed for concealed carry" and it seems like you can put anything. Truth is 99.99% percent of people are denied because of what they put. You have to articulate a reason that you need to carry a weapon that is different from the general public and puts you at a more substantial risk of harm than the average person in the city. That's almost impossible to establish that you're somehow in more danger than the 8 million other people wandering the city. I think the number of permits in NYC is like in the thousands...it's not easy!

And there is no reciprocity. Carry permits from other states do not apply.

Rifle laws are slightly more relaxed and the prices are cheaper.
http://www.troopers.ny.gov/FAQs/Firearms/

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:26 pm

JCFindley wrote:

I am old, there is no home.....

I figured my pistol will simply go away down here but several of my rifles have more sentimental value. One was given to my dad when he retired from the Navy long ago and I have my son's 30-30 that he got for his 13th birthday and I have a shotgun that I got on mine.....

Isn't it possible to store these guns somewhere? I wouldn't have them with me in the city. I wouldn't carry a knife either - no matter how unlikely it is that you will be targeted for stop and frisk.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:26 pm

JCFindley wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

I completely agree but my wife refuses to live in Texas....

Carrying a gun on you in Texas is dangerous with the slack-ass puss-tard drivers around here. You'd think they didn't know where the gas is.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:26 pm

Thoughts on being strapped at all times when you are on campus?

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:34 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

Probably. A handgun still might be better in a small place. I know my hallway is too small to really get a rifle turned around holding it level. And it is super low probability to ever be an issue unless you use it.

16 and 1/4 inch barrel is pretty effective in tight spots....

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:35 pm

2012JayDee wrote:
JCFindley wrote:OK, maybe this is a lounge Q but it is related to me moving to NYC for LS.....

Thanks,

JC

NY State handgun/pistol laws do not apply to NYC
A permit from a county other than NY county/NYC is not valid for a carry in the city. The counties also vary in how they issue. In Westchester co., (which is supposedly one of the easier counties to get approved) for example it's a 6 month wait and if you're denied you can appeal, but they hold the fact that you were denied the first time, against your appeal. Even if you were denied w/o cause. Also your application has to go before a judge within 6 months but if it goes dead that is considered a denial even if it's due to an administrative issue--very sneaky! You also have to have 4 character references that live in the county that can verify you're a good person.

For NYC there is a small line on the application that simply states "reason needed for concealed carry" and it seems like you can put anything. Truth is 99.99% percent of people are denied because of what they put. You have to articulate a reason that you need to carry a weapon that is different from the general public and puts you at a more substantial risk of harm than the average person in the city. That's almost impossible to establish that you're somehow in more danger than the 8 million other people wandering the city. I think the number of permits in NYC is like in the thousands...it's not easy!

And there is no reciprocity. Carry permits from other states do not apply.

Rifle laws are slightly more relaxed and the prices are cheaper.
http://www.troopers.ny.gov/FAQs/Firearms/

Thanks, it is the rifle part I am really interested in.....

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:41 pm

JCFindley wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

Get one of these, breh. 45 caliber.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:44 pm

JCFindley wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

Make sure that is legal though. I know 16 is federal but NYC might have some stupid extra restriction.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:46 pm

sunynp wrote:
Isn't it possible to store these guns somewhere? I wouldn't have them with me in the city. I wouldn't carry a knife either - no matter how unlikely it is that you will be targeted for stop and frisk.

There is always someplace but it would only be a temporary fix since I will live there after school as well in all likelihood. Plus, while I can leave them with friends I just don't trust doing that with family heirlooms...

RE knives, there is some threshold even in NYC where they would be legal. Knives are extremely useful tools. Whereas a gun serves basically one purpose a knife has a multitude of uses and serving as a weapon is way on down the list. They can be especially useful in self defense against a dog but they have many many uses....

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:47 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Thoughts on being strapped at all times when you are on campus?

I am not against it but I do not feel the need myself....

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:50 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Make sure that is legal though. I know 16 is federal but NYC might have some stupid extra restriction.

What I have seen, it is but need to dig further.... it's 18 with shotguns in NY though.

Return to “Law School FAQ”