How hard is it? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: How hard is it?

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:31 pm

PennBull wrote: And, if that's not enough, you cannot simply "work hard and know the material and do well because I'm really smart." It does not matter how well you do on an exam, it matters how well you do compared to everyone else.
You can't simply work harder, you have to work better.
You could get a 99 on a test, but if everyone else gets a 100, you get a C.

You could get a 50 on a test, but if everyone else gets a 49, you get an A.
Engineering classes FTW!
So at 8PM on a Tuesday, when you've finished all your work or whatever for the next day, you always know that there's some guy in the top floor of the library who will be there till midnight every damn day of the week. And that guy isn't alone. There is always pressure that somebody everybody is working harder than you.
But working harder isn't always better. A lot of people psych themselves out. I have a lot less time to study than many others because of work and kids. Honestly I hope I had a lot more time, but I don't know it would have made any difference in grades, judging from the sample answers lol
Although it's FAR from necessary to gun the shit out of the semester in order to do well, the curved grading system just gives a lot more pressure to a standard studying routine.
On the other hand, if you just spend the last 4 weeks preparing how to write the exam, and do it well/on point, you wouldn't even need to show up for class the first two months.
tl;dr: The material isn't harder than anything you've probably done, even though it can be very difficult at times. But the legal hiring schedule and the curved grading system add all sorts of pressure to 1L year.
I agree, the material is pretty straight forward and common sense. The tough part is how they grade and what they want you to write on the exam. I have looked at all our sample answers and went like what? I doubt extra month of studying is going to steer me that way. The professor expects a certain way to solve an issue, where as in real life there could be 50 or more ways. Learning the law will ensure you won't get the worst grade, but to get better, you need to study smart.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:34 pm

spleenworship wrote:
kwais wrote:
I guess. But I think buried in your posts here is the idea that the AVERAGE Harvard student will win in the courtroom over the AVERAGE TT student. So how is that really different than saying that Harvard has more intellectual talent than a lower-ranked school?
I disagree with this. Courtroom skill and academic ability might be correlated, but not that much. In fact, given the average TTs emphasis on more practical skills, TT attorneys might be better in actual practice, at least at first. One of my Harvard graduate Profs admits his first several times in a courtroom he was soundly beaten by C students from the local TT. He got better, but I think that experience, people skills, hard work on prep, and quick wits - things that can be possessed by anyone, TT or T14, go a lot farther in the courtroom than academic ability.
But at the higher end of civil litigation practice, courtroom practice is not where the battle is fought. So you need to define what "actual practice" means. Many big law litigation matters takes 2 years or more to trial, and most don't make it there. Battles are fought and won by research and substantive arguments on paper.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:35 pm

^
You worked during 1L?

redbullvodka

Bronze

Post by redbullvodka » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 pm

kwais wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
kwais wrote:
PDaddy wrote: Anyone who disagrees with this should step into a courtroom and watch lawyers from so-called weaker law schools kick Harvard ass. For the record...I love Harvard and all of the top schools (deferred at a top school myself), but I am a realist. Take nothing for granted my friend. The LSAT is believed to be flawed by many people who do well on it.
Are you saying that in more than half of the cases between Harvard-types and non-Harvard-types, the latter wins? Or just saying that if want to see the Harvard-type get beaten, then this phenomena exists? With the amount of litigation in this country, you could likely see any one from any school beat someone from any other school? But so what?
That's exactly what. It means earning high test scores and attending an elite law school don't mean you will be a star in the profession. That's pretty much it. Our TLS peers seem to disbelieve this.

Read my post above. I believe the top-20% or so at law schools across the board would probably be equal in terms of potential for lawyer succcess. I also believe that there are more students with higher potential for the profession at top schools. This does not mean that each student at elite school X is necessarily "more intelligent" than a so-called average student at good school Y, but I do believe that, in the aggregate, you would find better students at the better schools.

...and you are 100% correct in saying that anyone can whip anyone else's ass in the real world.
I guess. But I think buried in your posts here is the idea that the AVERAGE Harvard student will win in the courtroom over the AVERAGE TT student. So how is that really different than saying that Harvard has more intellectual talent than a lower-ranked school?
This is stupid. The average TT student won't be in the courtroom. The average Harvard student will.

I don't care what the LSAT predicts -- it's a near certainty that a given score is going to get you into a certain set of schools, and that's all that matters for the vast majority of legal hiring. There's something to be said for finding an optimality between school rank and debt, but when push comes to shove, the average student from a t14 will find more success in the profession than the average student from a TT, because they actually got hired in the first place. Arguments about the practicality of the LSAT as a separator of applicants is pretty pointless when that's what law schools use. HTH

uchi12

New

Post by uchi12 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Last edited by uchi12 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:42 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:^
You worked during 1L?
Yes and I did a lot of pro bono stuff too.

TheGreatWhiteHorse

New

Post by TheGreatWhiteHorse » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:42 am

This has been said before, but there is a tremendous lack of feedback, which is very frustrating and is very different from UG. You don;t have a clue how well you are doing the whole year long, and it doesn't even matter because in the end it boils down to how well you do for 3-4 hours in a room with everyone else.

Law school is hard because it isnt actually "school" at all. That is why hiring partners always consider how much actual learning the new hire still needs before he/she is practice ready.

It isnt "school" or even a real "education"...it is task-driven competition based on busy work, and it exists PURELY to produce numbers that will look good enough to bring in next year's round of tuitions.

westie25

Bronze

Post by westie25 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:04 pm

PDaddy wrote:
minnbills wrote:
PDaddy wrote: If becoming a practicing lawyer was easy, everyone would be doing it - and the profession would lose its prestige altogether.
This is happening, if not already happened.
You're correct about the loss of prestige, but it is still a more difficult profession to enter than are most others.
Which professions? A cashier at McDs? Yes. An Administrative Assistant? Yes. A doctor? No. A tenured professor? No.

I've spent almost 7 years working in the legal field, and I've maybe come across a few practicing attorneys who accurately represent the "presitge" of law school and being an attorney. The other 90% were a bunch of tools lacking common sense who relied on their paralegals to tell them what to do.

CardinalLaw

New

Post by CardinalLaw » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:12 am

r6_philly wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:^
You worked during 1L?
Yes and I did a lot of pro bono stuff too.
Thanks to its title, I thought this entire thread was going to be about our raging pro bonos

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:14 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:tagaroni

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:22 am

redbullvodka wrote:
This is stupid. The average TT student won't be in the courtroom. The average Harvard student will.

I don't care what the LSAT predicts -- it's a near certainty that a given score is going to get you into a certain set of schools, and that's all that matters for the vast majority of legal hiring. There's something to be said for finding an optimality between school rank and debt, but when push comes to shove, the average student from a t14 will find more success in the profession than the average student from a TT, because they actually got hired in the first place. Arguments about the practicality of the LSAT as a separator of applicants is pretty pointless when that's what law schools use. HTH
This is stupid. Most people don't even spend any time in the court room. As to the few that do, lots of SHITTY lawyers make it to court rooms. I have to read so much SPS briefs and watch lawyers make fools of themselves during CMCs and motions.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:19 pm

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:45 pm

slack_academic wrote:Something that seems overlooked here is that LSAT/GPA are pretty directly indicative of qualities required to be a "good attorney."
This is patently false.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:56 pm

slack_academic wrote:Something that seems overlooked here is that LSAT/GPA are pretty directly indicative of qualities required to be a "good attorney." Qualities independent of intelligence, even. Mostly, the ambition, determination, and focus required to achieve high marks in either category could be expected to carry over into legal practice.

The idea that the test also reflects skills irrelevant to practice, like ability to take standardized tests, fitness under pressure, etc. is ridiculous. It discounts the fact that many high scorers addressed performance anxiety and learning difficulties to achieve their goals. Overcoming these difficulties is itself a good indicator of the type of persistence required for success as an attorney. While an imperfect indicator, the character traits which (may) contribute to LSAT/GPA success are clearly relevant to law school and legal practice.
This all seems retarded to me.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:51 am

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:22 am

slack_academic wrote:Something that seems overlooked here is that LSAT/GPA are pretty directly indicative of qualities required to be a "good attorney." Qualities independent of intelligence, even. Mostly, the ambition, determination, and focus required to achieve high marks in either category could be expected to carry over into legal practice.

The idea that the test also reflects skills irrelevant to practice, like ability to take standardized tests, fitness under pressure, etc. is ridiculous. It discounts the fact that many high scorers addressed performance anxiety and learning difficulties to achieve their goals. Overcoming these difficulties is itself a good indicator of the type of persistence required for success as an attorney. While an imperfect indicator, the character traits which (may) contribute to LSAT/GPA success are clearly relevant to law school and legal practice.

Lol ok. This post alone makes me want to go do something non-legal with my life.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:31 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:36 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:tagaroni

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”